Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Floor

Posted by melking (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 05 at 15:50

I have lived in an apartment for 3 years now, and am about to renew my lease. Overall the apartment is in good shape, however, the vinyl flooring is really old and scratched up and looks dirty all the time even when it's not. My landlord won't pay for any updates to the apartment. Any ideas on how I can improve the look at minimal cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Floor

if that flooring stuck down really well? If so, you could tile right over it w/ Trafficmaster tiles ($1 per square foot)--I hear it's easy and looks great.

Of course your landlord would have to approve--would he let you do it, if you paid for it?

o

In my last apartment, the vinyl or linoleum floor in the kitchen and laundry room had rips in it. So, maintenance laid another design of square tiles over it. Except for the odd corner (which I don't think was cut to fit properly), you'd never know that there was another layer of vinyl/linoleum underneath it.

o

My sister is going to lay some tile in her home, that can be taken up and moved with you when you move. It's not suppose to harm the floor. I had not heard of that, but it is suppose to work. You might check it out at your local home improvement store.

o

you can lay tongue and grouve floating floors. There is a moisture barrier that you put between it and the previous floor. It is NOT screwed, glued or nailed down. It simply floats. It can also be put over carpet. They are beautiful and almost work free and can be picked up and taken with you when you move.
Linda

o

Laminate, real linoleum (not vinyl), cork, engineered wood - all come as floating floors. I have heard that in Europe, people often take the floors when they move, along with kitchen cabinets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here