Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ana_maria_gw

dealing with unreasonable neighbors

ana-maria
14 years ago

Hi, I just joined today in hope of finding some advise on how to deal with my neighbor. I've been living here with my husband and four kids going on five for 3 1/2 years now. My upstairs neighbor complains about my husband going to work at 6:30am everyday. She says she is awaken by him shutting his door and starting up his car which doesn't start up any different from yours probably. I told her that he has to go to work to pay the bills including the rent. What do you want me to do, tell him not to go to work? She is a middle aged waitress and heavy drinker who sleeps in until 2 in the afternoon and only works four days out of the week for 6 hours a day. Because my husband doesn't climb out of a window on the other side of the house and park his car across the road, she has decided that when she is up at 10pm to 2am, that she is going to bang on the walls, stomp on the hardwood floors, and swear at my husband and children whenever she sees them. The landlord who unfortunately is my mother-in-law won't do or say anything to her in fear her calling her lawyer brother to come over and start something. She is always late with the rent and always complaining about how the trash pick up is handled and the condition of the driveway and house. All of this started recently when her hours were cut. I've found myself scared for my husband when he leaves for work in the morning or when he returns because she'll have random men she picked up from the bars standing outside her door smoking and eyeballing my him. Last night I started getting bad cramps worrying so much about it. I'm five months pregnant now and don't know what to do. Do I call the cops or are they just going to tell me to tell the landlord who doesn't want to get involved? The rent is very reasonable for our lifestyle because I can stay home with my children while my husband teaches. My husband grew up in this house and farm and want our children to experience the same environment that he did. I've never had this problem before. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource