Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Insanity and it's causes

Posted by hadenough (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 15:19

Hello everyone. I've never posted here before, hope everyone is well...I'm certainly not.

I've been reading many of the messages here, and I've noticed a large amount of posts concerning noisy/rude neighbors. I sympathize with you and my heart aches for anyone having to go through this.

Like many others I make a fairly modest living and simply can't afford the payments and upkeep of a house. I wish this was not the case, as every apartment I've lived in has been plagued with obnoxious people. It doesn't seem to matter how much checking I do beforehand, or how many questions I ask the management. I always get stuck with jerks.

I'm tired of constantly having to defend my home to rude people. I feel as though I should be entitled to some degree of respect but judging from past history, I guess I'm not. As a result I am constantly angry, paranoid, tired and just generally ill. I look forward to death.

Apartment "Living"? I wish I could experience this...
Good luck to those in similiar situations. I wish I had answers for you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Insanity and it's causes

Oh, gosh, wish you hadn't said you were looking forward to death. Let's try to think of alternative plans. I don't know where you live so it's hard to guess what renting a small house would cost. But at least you wouldn't have people so close. Check the Sunday paper to see if that's a possibility. Other possibilities might be single level apartments or finding a roommate. And one more, although slightly off the wall, would be for you to house-sit while people are away--possibly care for their pets. You could advertize and if you got enough business, you wouldn't need an apartment!

I'm so sorry you've had such bad experiences--sounds sort of like me in the supermarket. No matter what checkout line I'm in, it's bound to be the longest, most painful wait. ;-o

I'm sure others will have plenty of good ideas to help get you the peace you need so badly. Wishing you good thoughts.

Patti

o
RE: My Insanity and it's causes

Like patti43 says, "I'm so sorry you've had such bad experiences-"

I've lived in many apartments and experienced the same crap. MY main complaint was that the management seemed to think they could enter my dwelling whenever they liked (without notice). I also lived in a building where the first floor tenant fed cats outside her back door. The food would attract other cats and they would be screaming and fighting at 4 am. Its hard to do a good job at work when your tired from constantly being awakened. So I know what you mean about being tired and grouchy. There are plenty of other stories, but I won't go into them here. My point is, that I kept trying new places and finally found one where I could have some peace.

Pattie43 had several good ideas. Looking into a totally different renting/house sitting situation might be what works. Try to rent in a smaller (4-unit?) building or a double. That will reduce the odds of living near so many inconsiderate persons. You might also check with a church/YMCA/Senior center in your area. Sometimes seniors have an extra room/in-law suite they would like to rent to a quiet person so they may stay in their homes. A cottage in the back of someone's property? Carriage house over a garage?

Here is a link for a newsletter I've subscribed to for years, The Caretaker Gazette. Lots of very interesting opportunities to house sit here. Some pay pretty well too. http://www.caretaker.org/

If your willing to make a leap of faith, you might find a place to live as well as a job that is better than anything you ever dreamed of. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here