Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sagemajor

getting kicked out of appt on purpose

sagemajor
19 years ago

We have 5 months left on our lease, but we can get out by paying 2 months rent as a penalty.

I was wondering if I asked my neighboors to complain to managment about me being loud at night will they eventually kick me out and avoid the 2 months cost? I guess I could actually be noisy if I need to when they come by I would perfer to try this first.

Any thoughts.

Comments (13)

• romy2004
    19 years ago

You are not serious, are you? Your lease is a legally binding agreement. Is there any reason why you need to get out of your lease - like buying a house or being relocated? Sabotaging yourself is not the way to go. Remember, wherever you go, references are needed. You would not want to alienate your landlord in this way. If you need to get out, talk to him. Even if you have a miserable landlord, you should not go about it in this way. It would be especially hurtful if they were wonderful - this is no way to thank them. I don't mean to lecture you but you asked.

• buzzhd
    19 years ago

Yeah, talk to the landlord or management. If they agree to let you go, you will be lucky. Mostly they will say hey you want to get out and break the lease you will lose the security deposit. I have the same situation here except my upstairs neighbor being noise not me try to to be annoying :-), management refuses to do anything about it, which makes me to get out of lease even though I have another six months left. I was told I would lose the deposit if I break the lease.

I just found the coop apartment on the top floor and wait to have it closed by mid-April. Of course I did get the reference from the management before I even tried to talk to them.

So being noise and let your landlord kick you out is not something you want to do. Your neighbor may call the police or what, I would suggest you to talk to your landlord first, maybe you are lucky enough to get out the lease without losing anything or at least maybe just one month deposit. Good luck!

• jennmonkey
    19 years ago

be careful, you may need the reference!

• sagemajor
    Original Author
    19 years ago

We are buying a house so a ref from them does not matter. My wife is against it so I guess we won't do it. We rented so we could decide where we wanted to buy.

As for it being a contract, I know, thats why i was interested in getting them to be interested in severing it without the loss of 3,400 dollars.

• lazy_gardens
    19 years ago

"if I asked my neighboors to complain to managment about me being loud at night will they eventually kick me out and avoid the 2 months cost?"

If you have 5 months to go, the landlord would probably just tell you the lease will not be renewed and wait it out.

• hrp3ks
    19 years ago

OP said: I was wondering if I asked my neighboors to complain to managment about me being loud at night will they eventually kick me out and avoid the 2 months cost? I guess I could actually be noisy if I need to when they come by I would perfer to try this first.

How this could possibly work I don't know. So you would ask all your neighbors to complain that you are being loud at night, and you are certain they will all agree to lie for you and to conspire with all the other neighbors to lie. (You do realize the management will ask Unit A how you're being loud, and then will ask Unit B if they can hear you, and then ask Unit C how you're being loud, so all the units will have to get their stories straight.) Then you actually WILL be loud when the management comes by to check.

1. How can you know when, exactly, the management is coming by?

2. If your neighbors agree to pretending that you are loud, how do you think they will feel when you actually ARE loud when the management comes by to check?

3. What if the management just sends the police to deal with possibly dangerous and disruptive tenants? They don't know you are only pretending, right?

Where do people come up with crazy ideas like this??? I really want to know, 'cuz if stuff likes this works I've been doing things the wrong way my whole life.

• sunrochy
    19 years ago

Not a good idea, it may come back to haunt you someday.

• boxerkisses4me
    18 years ago

my sister got evicted , not on purpose and they sued her for the remaining of the lease, so not only court costs the remaining of the whole lease of around 5 months rent were included.

• timil
    18 years ago

.. Why not just try to do a sublease? Or, make an agreement with mgmt that you want out early and they can start seeking tenants to release you early?

Tim

• buzzhd
    18 years ago

no management wants to do it for free, mostly they will hold the security deposit for early termination of lease.

• quirk
    18 years ago

No, it will not work. You might get kicked out, but you will still be responsible for rent for the remainder of the lease or until they rerent the apartment. You would be the one breaking the lease by breaking the noise provisions, and would be every bit as responsible for the costs the landlord would incur to find a new tenant as you would be if you had broken the lease by just moving out.

• Adnama
    18 years ago

You'd pay MORE getting kicked out than breaking the lease, re: these earlier posts.

Sub-let! A lot of complexes will already have a sub-let agreement, anyway. And if you live near a college or university, lots of students will be looking for summer sublets soon.

• sagemajor
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well we already gave our 30 day notice. It will cost us about $3200 to get out early but its not much in the grand scheme of things.

We are about 10 miles from CSUF but the rent is high for an appartment. We wanted this one because they actually had grass to play on. We could have gotten somthing similar for about $350 a month less that had the units closer together. Not somthing a student really cares about.

The lease forbids sub leasing to thats out.

It is interesting, they have raised the rents in the last 4 months or so but there are units that have been vacant for the whole time I have been here. 2 of my neighboors just moved out also. So out of the 8 units on my floor 5 will be vacant next month.
    Sage

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm