Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dump_gw

Dog jumping and running around upstairs

dump
16 years ago

I moved into a supposedly beautiful apartment, I asked several times was there noise complaints. I asked some folks living here too.

well I have a neighbor above me who's dog runs around and jumps on and off the furniture and beds late into the night and early morning. The dog stays in a crate all day.

I can expect pianos dropping on the floor through my ceiling between 5:30 PM till 11:30 pm then again at 6 Am. No matter what room I'm in I hear it. I have been here 3 months and I have lost my mind. I have spoken to the people, Thea re nice and know about it but it still happens. I used to hear them having sex till they knew I heard them. The guy walks so hard on the floor. They are nice folks but the buildings are built so bad I cant believe it. I can hear a neighbor snore next to me.

what can I do. I put pillows over my head, sleep with he TV on, ear plugs. I am crying all the time now.

Comments (19)

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

This is why I'm SO GLAD I no longer rent!

My advice: Move

• dump
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey,
    I think I should have been told by the apartment manager that the people above me have a 50# dog that I might hear running around.
    Yes they do allow pets here, I love pets. Im not angry at the dog, I am angry at the situation and the owners should take the dog to a dog park to burn off energy, they do nothing with the dog.
    Yes the whole ceiling takes shock sound waves and the noise is a very deep thump close to a sonic boom.
    I want to move yes!!! I was told when I moved in here 3 months ago, that the buildings are well constructed and the have no noise complaints.
    come to find out, all my neighbors are complaining of noise from other neighbors too.
    How do I deal with this for another 7 months?

• lucy
    16 years ago

You don't, you get out of your lease, if not by the normal route of 30 days notice (possibly forfeiting your deposit though) or else even having a lawyer send a letter to mgmt telling them about the assurances of quiet. It's one thing to accept the usual noises of everyday life, but to be told it was quiet and then have the trouble you do is another thing.

• GammyT
    16 years ago

Dog are allowed in your building, and you knew that. Is there something in the lease that says how big a dog can be?

Maybe the landlord doesn't know the size of the dog. My guess is the dog is less than 50 pounds but any noise, would drive you nuts.

The upstairs neighbors already stopped having sex when you might hear. The poor dog walks and plays for only 6 hours a day. And you are complaining. You have no idea how lucky you are.

Ask the landlord if you can move to a top floor apartment.

• dump
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, The dog is 50#s. I see the dog and have talked to the people as I mentioned.
    I am complaining about the dog running around yes. I am supposed to feel sorry for it? I can and can complain of the noise as well.
    Feeling sorry for the dog does not stop the noise!
    I am talking of a noise issue here not a animal rescue situation where i should cry as i hear the poor dog running around. The dog is fine, healthy and well fed.

Thanks to those who helped me.
    I hardly post in forums as people can really get ugly.

• lucy
    16 years ago

I think Gammy was just reminding us the poor dog is stuck in a crate all day, and needs to run around some when the owner comes home (not after midnight or anything though). Does it go on for hours, or just intermittently for e.g. one hour? After all, little kids would probably be worse!

• GammyT
    16 years ago

IF the dog is really 50 pounds, you are so lucky that you only hear it from "5:30 PM till 11:30 pm then again at 6 Am." I bet that out of the the crate ends at 7 or 8am.

You moved to a building where dogs are allowed. Deal with it or move.

I feel for the 50 pound dog who shouldn't be in an apartment or in a crate all day and night.

Lucy you are correct, the poor dog.

Dump you knew you were moving in a pets allowed building and now you have an issue.

• dump
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Gammy im sure you would be feeling for the dog while you were here listening to it thunder over your head and you were awakened by it while you were trying to sleep. I wonder iof your part of the management here. Your for the dog like im fighting witht he dog, this is too funny.
    I was lied to about noise.Liers all over the world just trying to get your money.
    Obviously you are closed minded about the issue at hand here. Its how to deal with he noise, not screw the dog. LOL
    Good news, They are away this week and moving out end of the month. Yippy for the doggie!

We are buying a house in the fall and things will be great.

Im off, no need to return here to get answers from snotty people. Yep, see ya

• dreamgarden
    15 years ago

Dump, I also wondered why your post was construed as a personal attack on an innocent animal. Jeeze, maybe it WAS someone in management! lol.

I'm glad to read that the noisy neighbors (and dog) are moving. Also glad to hear you will be buying a house in the fall!

Please check out the Buying and Selling thread before you buy your house. Lots of good advice there.

Best of luck to you.

• taku
    15 years ago

I'd talk to the manager to see if there could be some accommodation in selection of future tenants, so you won't have to endure this again. However, I wouldn't expect the manager to be helpful, as you mentioned, it's all about money. If you don't think you can tolerate the potential noise and headaches for a few more months, I'd seriously have a talk with the manager asking to either move to the top floor till the end of your lease, or start looking for another place to rent short term.

• phepps1
    6 years ago

What some are forgetting is that most apartment complexes do have a pet policy that states that the pet cannot be a nuisance or create noise that bothers another neighbor. Believe it or not, I have a similar upstairs neighbor problem regarding a cat. This cat goes on frenzied stampedes back and forth repeatedly on my ceiling. It creates incessant loud thumping and drumming sounds overhead and frequently I hear a huge bang when it apparently hits the walls at each end of its laps. This can happen 4, 5, 6 or more times a day, mostly in the evening. This is as much of a noise disruption issue as a barking and running dog. Our apartment ceilings are just like drums and the paws of the idiotic animals act as drumsticks. I can hear every paw hit the ground at incredible speeds. It is so intrusive. I have complained to management twice now, and each time they tell me they have called the neighbor. The noise continues. I will contact management once more, then consider an attorney. My policy goes so far as to say that if the pet owner does not abide by the policy (allowing pets to disturb neighbors), the apartment can force the pet owner to get rid of the animal. I'm waiting to see just how my management handles this problem. By the way, I have COPD, so stairs are not a option for me.

• Nick Onnassis
    4 years ago

How exactly do you control a cat? do you take them out for a walk? You also have to understand apartments are not made for over sensitive hearing, or get the top floor ( elevator) and you will get the complaints about your noise. You’ll force someone to get rid of their pet because the noise they make?? You are deluded, you are blaming the creature which have no blame, the blame is the cheap ass construction apartments are built with, no sound proof, we as tenants shouldn’t be walking on eggshells and not have a normal day, is not that they are Partying and smoking crack, move out and let others be happy or deal with it.

• Fabler Björn
    3 years ago

dog walking on the floor is unlike what humans do. dog's paw is small by area, whoever has basic physic knowledge understands p=F/S.

when S is small, the same F creates much bigger p. let's say a god weight 20-30 kg, depends on the type of dog, a human child is around 30-40. now, a dog paw is at least 4-8 times smaller than a child's feet. meaning a 120 kg - 240 kg person walking above your head, not to meaning jumping (dogs often do that).

you do the math, stop thinking ”oh my dog is so cute and quiet. go to your neighbor's apartment and feel that noise yourself.

I haven't mention sound pass direction, which would be even more noticeable and significant. in fact, no only neighbor downstairs would hear the noise, your left/right neighbors do, too, depends on the type of apartment structure.

• HU-309827297
    2 years ago

I dont understand so many people repeatedly saying ”you knew you were moving into a building that allowed pets” Well the pet owners for sure knew they were moving into a building with other humans. People getting a dog and then not being responsible to take the dog out and expecting other people to shoulder that noise burden and be graceful about it is crazy. You have to allow the dog time outside to burn some of that energy off. And 6 hrs is a LONG time. Especially since its during the hours when you just got home and want to relax

• HU-801044423
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

All the people saying to just move, sit down. I am in the same predicament but with the condo I OWN. Moved in before the people, and the previous owners had a dog as well- never had the issue before. Oh, and new people walk around like elephants. As a teacher that has to be up early, I hate these people. Telling someone to move because of RUDE people does not help. My HOA said to call the non emergency police line and I am headed in that direction.

• HU-593942141
    2 years ago

I am in the same situation with my upstairs neighbors. I have a pet myself, a cat. She is older so is pretty chill and when she does feel like playing I do so with her in the carpeted room to avoid disrupting my neighbors. I also often take her on walks to the coffee spot or to friends (yes you can do this with cats and no I am not a weirdo I swear!) But my above neighbors got a young rottweiler in a studio apartment in a city area with no safe parks super nearby. The dog is out of control, I have seen it and it jumps all over you (sign of bad training). As a pet owner myself, it breaks my heart to see the neglect. Pets are responsibilities! They should not have got this dog, sorry. I would love to have a dog but I travel too much and cant afford a house with a yard (I too would prefer a large dog) and do not agree that it is okay for large dogs to be confined to apartments unless you plan on having the time to take it outside for a log walk everyday since you do not have a yard. So I have my cat. They never take the dog out, it's so sad. They take it out to pee across the street and that's it. It runs around the apartment and they use a hard ball that I can hear rolling from one side to the other, this is about 8 times a day by the way. Now I understand with covid, working from home has caused these issues meaning I would not be bothered as much perhaps if I was at the office more. But I disagree that I should have to live with this, it has caused me to have a lack of sleep and is taking a huge toll on my mental health. Not to mention that often it occurs during important zooms and even they can hear it! So I have had to mute myself. I can't afford to move again, and I should not have to. Also angry at them because irresponsible pet owners are the reason pets get banned in the first place. So sure understand your point about not taking it out on the animal as I don't want to see it at the shelter but that doesnt mean its fair on us to have to deal with their neglect.

• B
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think its 50/50 if you have dogs why not choose to live on the first floor, that way you wont have to deal with the inconvenience of others, dogs need attention so being in a crate from 6am-6pm is unfair especially if you dont take them out to burn off energy that you know theyll have. I deal with the same issue with my neighbor upstairs who

has TWO dogs that go out twice a day for maybe 10mins and thats within the apartments. Ive talked to the resident and explained to them that i was having trouble sleeping and have to work early in the am (in a polite way) but nothing. I filed a noise complaint on three different occasions, because during the day is fine but after 9pm your cutting it as it does tie

into ”quiet hours”. So If i were you i would ask what your apartment considers quiet hours and if the noise persist anytime after that i would call to file a noise complaint if your apartment has after hours staff or if 311 is accesible. Also I get that their dogs that have been locked up but were human and we work and pay to live in a place where we want to be comfortable, so its only common courtesy.

• HU-773641406
    last year

Same situation here.. I think best thing is to move to different place after the lease is up. Cannot ration with stupid people who choose to live upstairs have dog and dont have brain to think it might cause disturbance to downstairs from dog running.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia