Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theaubrinator

growing plants from seed to sell in NYC

theaubrinator
16 years ago

I am currently growing lots of plants in my apartment in Queens, NY. I recently moved here from upstate NY and greatly miss growing plants outdoors! I am wanting to sell plants, probably just on a table outside my apartment in May or June, but i'm not sure which type of plants would sell best. Does anyone have any ideas what 'city folk' like to grow? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I'm not an apartment dweller, but love to garden (and heaven knows there are a bazillion gardening forums here, you might ask the Container gardening forum.)

I'd stick with easy, low maintenance since they'll most likely be in containers.
    For shade, some examples would be Impatiens and Coleus.
    For sun to part Shade, pansies for spring, later petunias (trailing are nice in window boxes), marigolds, salvia, snapdragons. Those varieties will often reseed themselves in my gardens and turn up again next year ;)

You're probably already aware of this, but the cool thing about starting from seed is you can get harder to find plants (not mass sold at nurseries and garden centers) and those luscious heirloom varieties (non-hybrid, you can save seed from those once you've done your first crop). I started growing heirloom Sweetpeas years ago and I have to tell you, the fragrance from them was like that of a lilac or rose bush. (The non-heirloom hybrids don't have fragrance like that.) Of course they need a trellis to grow and do get quite tall (5' easily). Super easy to start from seed, and if one could manage a pot with trellis, the fragrance wafting off a balcony into the apartment would be heavenly. They tend to peter out in hottest months, but rebound again in fall. (They like cooler weather, like Pansies, and I just kept the dried leaves pinched off mine in summer till cool fall temps hit again and got more flushes of blooms).

• lucy
    16 years ago

Check with your landlord to be sure there's no restriction on setting up to sell at your place - many places in NY are off limits (probably because of the many peddler type of ops that move from corner to corner with their little tables all the time - the police are pretty much on top of them too).

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Good point, lucy. I live in 'burbs of major metro area and something like that wouldn't fly around here either. Zoning laws and all that, since it's residential and not commercial use. Some towns have cracked down so much you have to get a permit from the Town Hall to hold a garage sale and post it and Police Depts do stop by and make sure you've got one.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Eons ago when I worked on Wall Street a few months, I was amazed at how intrigued the NYers were with vegetables growing in planters in front of the office building. So try some food crop plants--herbs or tomato plants in pots.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?