Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vw_driver_gw

What part of 'No Soliciting' do they not understand?

vw-driver
17 years ago

During the last 2 weeks, I've had various people knocking on my door trying to sell me something. Yesterday it was a pair of Mormon Missionaries. Everytime, I called the management office right away to shew them off. I don't want to be the bad guy that gets people thrown out. , I really value my privacy. After getting home from work or have the day off, I don't want to be disturbed. The No Soliciting signs are in plain view around the complex. It would be nice to sleep in on my off day, or watch movies without being disturbed. I never open the door. I talk through the door. That's enough whining from me. Anybody else experienced a similiar situation?

Comments (16)

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Yeah.

It got so bad I had to disconnect my doorbell.

I had an apartment where I was Apt. #1. All day long while I was trying to sleep people would ring the doorbell asking "Hi. Are you the building manager?? Is there an apartment for rent???" Answer: "No. The manager's apartment has the word MANAGER after his name."

There was also the usual missionaries and door-to-door sales people.

I finally realized I did not need an operating doorbell and disconnected it. If someone was coming by, whom I was expecting, I waited in the locked lobby for them.

I have a friend who likes to scare off missionaries and door-to-door salespeople by answering the door to his home naked. They don't linger and they don't ever come back. This trick only works to scare people off if you are a man - otherwise it backfires.

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

I someimes wonder if people don't anymore know what the word "soliciting" means.

it never gets used anywhere but on those signs.

And even if they do know, they probably figure, nothing ventured,nothing gained.

People still send spam, even though it's pretty clear no one wants it.

You need a real-life equivalent of "delete, delete, delete."

I wonder if a "do not disturb" sign would be more effective?

And if they're getting past some beginning level of security, you could complain about that.

it doesn't happen for us very much, even w/ the "no soliciting" signs not being very clearly posted. Every now and then we get a political candidate's volunteers. My DH tells them "we don't allow this," and the volunteer gets all huffy and talks about "rights," and DH says, "you will make ENEMIES for your candidate if you ring all the bells in the buildings on this block."

• nfllifer
    17 years ago

I hate soliciting! In our town you have to get a permit to go door to door. If I do answer thats my first question. I know political stuff is OK even with signs. Not sure about religious.

We also only carry cell phones and this was one of the reasons why. When we have to give a phone number I give my office number. Its GREAT!

• vw-driver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah! My cel phone is my only phone. Telemarketers are not a problem. When I order something, I still have packages and parcels sent to my parents home.

Thankfully the management office is very attentive to tenant complaints. Nobody's been knocking on doors for now. I've also told on people going into th area pan handling from residents.

• over_n_under
    17 years ago

Believe it or not, some people do not believe they are soliciting because they think they are doing you a favor. Those religious folks aren't trying to sell you anything, they are doing you a favor trying to save your soul. Someone soliciting for a political candidate is not trying to sell you something; they are just trying to help you make up your mind. Now, I don't believe any of that bunk, but that is where some folks believe they are coming from.

Now, onto the cell phone thing. Cell phones are not exempt from solicitation as long as the call is dialed by hand. They are exempt from solicitations using automated dialing machines. The reason you don't get any solicitations via your cell phone is that all of the large places use automated dialers and the small places can't afford to buy your number because the number of successful sales to cell phones is too small. There is a registry you can sign up for that relates to cell phones much like your land line.

• nfllifer
    17 years ago

There is no cell phone do not call registry. There is only one FTC registry and it covers any phone numbers/ fax numbers.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2006/06/dnccellphones.htm

The only call's we get on our cells are from the dang cable company. They want us to expand our package, etc. What really bothers me is they call after 9pm. Two weeks ago it was 9:30 and 8 weeks ago it was 10:40pm! Last time they made a note in their file that if we were contacted again we were going dish.

• housenewbie
    17 years ago

Tell the Mormons that you're a Satanist. Tell the salesmen that your real name is Hannibal Lecter, and luckily you just bought some nice fava beans.

Get a doormat that says 'Go Away.'

• vw-driver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, I told them I'm a muslim. It worked.

• housenewbie
    17 years ago

Hee!

• Adella Bedella
    17 years ago

Misqouting the bible also works.

I usually just say I'm not interested. If the people honor that, I'm nice. If not, hang up or close the door.

• cidalia73
    17 years ago

I was having this problem at my apartment. I live in an apartment building and was constantly (at least 3x a week) getting people knocking on my door to sell something, or looking for donations, etc. I put up a sign on my door "no canvassing or soliciting, please" and some guys from an energy supplier still had the nerve to knock!

I decided to make a new sign, in larger letters, that would encompass what I wanted. It seems to be working, as I have not had a single knock on my door for over a month now. It reads "ABSOLUTELY NO canvassing, soliciting, or any other door-to-door presentations. Thank you."

• Str8dyme
    17 years ago

I am going through the exact same thing too! Every weekend on Saturday AND Sunday, I get Mormons, people selling newspapers, CDs they made, candy, freeze pops all sorts of stuff. And they ALWAYS catch me as I'm walking out of my door. The complex has 'no soliciting' signs at both entrances but that doesn't work.

Perhaps if I put up a picture of a scene from the movie Hostel then they will not knock on my door.

• coolmama
    17 years ago

"The No Soliciting signs are in plain view around the complex."

I'm not sure,but I think soliciting means to sell something.Mormon missionaries,while maybe annoying,arent selling anything.They can actually be quite nice too.We had two young missionary boys offer to help us shovel our cars out of the snow. They gave a us a free bible and were not trying to sell anything.If you arent intrested,just tell them so,they will leave you alone.

• vtchewbecca
    17 years ago

I'd have to say the religious people don't bother me. I simply tell them I already have a church, but thanks, and they leave me be.

We don't often get sales-people, though we did get college kids trying to sell magazines on their spring break a few weeks ago - told them I was saving up for a house and had no extra money. I guess if I was bothered constantly, I probably would also put up a sign. Normally I peak out of the eyehole and then wait for them to go away.

• lucy
    17 years ago

Selling religion is just as bad - don't church 'fees' count?

• ng1987
    17 years ago

Same problem at my apartment and the missionaries live on site! Several of the neighbors (myself included) have put up no solicitation signs however I went I step further since my dog barks like crazy everytime someone knocks and mine says" DO not knock unless you are a parcel delivery company"

No missionaries or knocking since =D

Sponsored