Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's Responsible for Appliance Repair?

Posted by annb2u (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 18:56

My landlord provides a built-in dishwasher, stand-alone washer and dryer and other appliances. The pump has gone out on the dishwasher and the dryer will no longer turn on. The lanlord says that I am responsible to pay for the repairs on these appliances, even though she owns them. Is this correct? I live in Oregon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's Responsible for Appliance Repair?

Never heard of that! But check your lease carefully... you might have signed on for it.

o

thats not the norm in most cases. read ur lease. if it says they are included with the unit and there is no mention anywhere in the lease about who is responsible for repairs on the appliances he should be doing it. don't just look under where your lease states whats included look under the maintance or repairs section if there is one, if the items were left by a previous tenant and the landlord left there for you to use for as long as they continue to work you are one the hook for the repair if you want to use them. that is a situation I have heard of before.

o

Check your state law, too. My state says if I provide the appliances, I have to maintain them. But if it's a case like mike mentioned, where they were items left by a prior tenant and I make it clear (in the lease) that it's new tenants option to use or not, that they are not being provided by me, then I'm not responsible for maintenance.

You can find your state's law by googling, for example, "Texas Landlord Tenant Law". (Just replace your state for Texas ;)

o

some states like Maryland where my cousin works in real estate require the landlord to provide a stove for the fuel source that is there be it gas or electric and it has to be working when and if the rental is inspected. Maryland doesn't require the landlord provide anything else in the kitchen as I'm told, I thought it was odd that a fridge was not required. who would rent a place with out one. most renters don't own many appliances.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here