Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybear20

My first apartment - question about noise :)

honeybear20
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm moving next month and I will be living in my first apartment, so I have a question about noise. :)

First, some background information - my name is Jen and I'm a 20 year old female, and I'm moving from Sioux Falls, South Dakota to Denver, Colorado, for school, work, and a fresh start. My boyfriend of five years recently moved there during Thanksgiving weekend too (we decided to move there together, but due to my job I had to wait a bit longer before I could get out there), so he will be there with me as well.

My boyfriend and I aren't planning to live together at the moment, but he will probably spend the night frequently and may move in with me in the future. Prior to moving to Denver, my boyfriend lived in an apartment for a few years and I spent the night frequently, so I'm already sort of used to apartment living. However, he lived in a fourplex and I'm living in an actual big complex, so I'm assuming a complex will naturally be a bit different (and that's why I'm trying to prepare myself).

I'm not sure if we just had great upstairs neighbors or if the building just had amazing insulation, but with the exception of the water running, we never heard his upstairs neighbors at all and I don't think they ever heard us. We considered ourselves to be good neighbors for the most part, too - never talked loudly, never slammed doors, never used his surround sound stereo, were cautious of our "intimate" moments, etc - but I'm terrified that I will cause trouble for someone in an apartment.

My boyfriend and I are mostly "day" people - we're both students, and work full time. However, on weekends, we consider ourselves "night owls" - big, big night owls, since sometimes we'll be up until 4 or 5 AM. We never have "parties", we mostly just spend time talking, watching movies (quietly), and hanging out, but I was wondering if just staying up that late could cause a problem for my neighbors?

My main concern is that my boyfriend and I do like to enjoy a few frozen drinks on the weekend, and while we're NEVER loud or obnoxious, our blender sometimes is. We only need to use it for about 30 seconds for one batch of drinks, but would 30 seconds of blending around midnight be too much? Would that be grounds for trouble or a noise complaint? I've been thinking about investing money in a low-noise blender (I have yet to find one so far), but I was just wondering how you all would feel if you heard a blender for a few seconds late at night (the lady above us in the fourplex never complained, but like I said, we never heard any of her appliances or television or anything so unfortunately I'm betting that it was the wonderful insulation).

I'm willing to work with my neighbors if they happen to have a problem with it, including paying more for a new blender or going away to a friend's house and spending the night there, so please don't get the wrong impression of me. I'm so scared of appearing inconsiderate to my neighbors and I don't want to cause any problems for them at all, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for listening :)

Comments (7)

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wouldn't start apologizing until you need to--some people will take that as a sign of weakness and try to walk all over you.

How far is the kitchen from the bedroom? It may not be that much of a problem at all. I'd wait until you hear. And until you've actually lived in this place and have some idea of what noise will travel.

If you can hear the neighbor's TV pretty easily through the floor, but a quiet walk to the hall outside their door tells you that it's not traveling through the door, then you know the floors are thin, and noise might travel.

If you don't hear much, then you can not worry so much.

I also find that, since I sleep in the bedroom and my bedroom is under my neighbor's bedroom, I don't hear what goes on in the living room. She can HAVE her TV going at night as long as it isn't really loud; I won't hear it. She can have a conversation in the dining room or living room, it doesn't come through the floor and travel over a room to the bedroom.

Of course, since everything is quieter, noise seems louder at night--so you might find that a low stereo and a quiet conversation are safer. (maybe no stereo, but you won't know that till you're there)

(my new downstairs neighbors live jazz-band practice does bleed into the living room from the bedroom 2 rooms away, though)

(I *think* a solid food processor is less loud than a blender, though there's no way to not be loud if you're chopping ice)

(and you could decide to drink whisy source instead of frozen drinks.

• GammyT
    17 years ago

30 seconds or even 130 seconds of blender noise wouldn't wake me or bother me.

You have to wait and see what your new neighbors say. If they complain, fold up a bath towel and put the blender on it before you turn it on.

Just don't talk loud or walk hard or have the music/TV up loud.

• angel47630
    17 years ago

I imagine since you seem very considerate of others your problems will be minimal.

We just recently moved into an apt after living in a house for 11 years. We took a downstairs unit as I had a terrible knee injury and the upstairs units have 15 steps which are actually inside the apt.

I make a lot of frozen drinks in the blender, frozen coffee daily, and I have never had any problems from our upstairs neighbors.

This is a brand new luxury complex and must be highly insulated as I have never heard them at all except occasionally when they first turn on their vacuum, but then it is just a slight notice of it, not annoying at all. My husband and I lived in an apt before where our neighbors blowdryer used to wake us up so it is all in the building and the insulation.

By the time you use the blender, 30 seconds and turn it off, I don't think it is even time to annoy someone. To me, in an apt, annoying noise is noise that lasts continually and unnecessarily for a long period of time.

Best of luck in your new start!
    angel

• angel47630
    17 years ago

I imagine since you seem very considerate of others your problems will be minimal.

We just recently moved into an apt after living in a house for 11 years. We took a downstairs unit as I had a terrible knee injury and the upstairs units have 15 steps which are actually inside the apt.

I make a lot of frozen drinks in the blender, frozen coffee daily, and I have never had any problems from our upstairs neighbors.

This is a brand new luxury complex and must be highly insulated as I have never heard them at all except occasionally when they first turn on their vacuum, but then it is just a slight notice of it, not annoying at all. My husband and I lived in an apt before where our neighbors blowdryer used to wake us up so it is all in the building and the insulation.

By the time you use the blender, 30 seconds and turn it off, I don't think it is even time to annoy someone. To me, in an apt, annoying noise is noise that lasts continually and unnecessarily for a long period of time.

Best of luck in your new start!
    angel

• vw-driver
    17 years ago

Maybe I'm the most tolerant tenant, but most noises in the building don't bother me. I live on the first floor. There's footsteps, bathroom and kitchen faucet/plimbing sounds, sometimes hear people talking. Luckily I only hear the stereo during proper hours of the day and evening. In the living room, I can clearly hear people walking in and out, up and down the steps, and talking. The worst noise is a beer dinking neighor that likes to belch in the stairwell. He'll open his door, and let it rip! It's certainly not a pretty thing to hear. I just shrug it off and keep playing vdeo games. Maybe it's his mating call. Nobody has complained about me either. When it gets late,I turn my TV down, or play music on my CD walkman.

• patti43
    17 years ago

Jen--you remind me of myself. We'd owned our home for years before selling and decided to rent until we know where and what we want to do. I found this forum and by the time we moved I was terrified we'd be too noisy. I still close doors quietly, but DH bangs away. I'd forgotten communal living can be noisy. Luckily, we can't hear anything except a "bump" or toilet flushing and lucky that these apartments are all one story. Don't worry about it. Good luck with your move and enjoy those frozen blender drinks. ;-o

Sponsored