Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcassel_gw

can an apt complex not renew a lease for any reason?

mcassel
17 years ago

I was just wondering if an apt complex can choose not to renew a lease for any reason?

here is a brief history. When I first moved in I did not have a dishwasher or oven for 2 months. Over the July and Aug I had to call 16 time to have may AC repaired. The office lost my pet addendum, I noticed it was missing and they made me pay twice. Most recently the unit below mind was having new "spray" coutertops painted on and the smell and fumes where so bad in my unit. I went to the office and made a scene but they did nothing but say "take a walk and open a window." I was not feeling well so I called 911 to make sure there was not safety issue...

The apt manager and I do not see eye to eye and when ever there is an issues it usually turns ugly with raised voices and tempers on both sides.

All in all I hate living here and would love to move but... I am building a house which should be finished late this summer. I am worried though, my leas ends on Aug 1st which is the date my house should be finished, that is if all things go well which they never do. So I think I will need to go month to month for 1 maybe 2 months and am worried that the complex might just say no.

Comments (3)

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Yes they can.

Have a back-up plan.

• moonshadow
    17 years ago

No reason is needed to not renew the lease. The contract is up. It's courtesy to give you ample notice, so if in doubt about their plans, ask. Based on a couple statements you made above, my guess would be odds are not in your favor.

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

It is not a "courtesy" to give notice. It is the LAW.