Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neighbor above moving furniture on wood floors

Posted by natcherylawakening (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 06 at 17:02

I just rented this cute space under a house (in January). The woman above likes to move her furniture often. She is also a costume designer who rolls racks around the floor. Everything transmits to me underneath, because of her wood floors above. When I first realized the problem, I asked if she'd put rugs down. This was ignored. She told me I was just sensitive to noise. I had complained after a week of 6am commencings of the rolling and banging. Soon she told me she did not even own the place. She is a years-long renter, and "never met" the owners, who live in Europe. I read the thread about "deliberate stomping". She also has a housekeeper who comes every Saturday morning, and moves and drags and drops furniture down. It is basically the sound of someone moving in above, every week. It is torture.
Please, can someone offer any suggestions? Do you know a way I can find the landlord? Maybe he/she can ask/make her put rugs down..I moved in led to believe she owned the place. She only told me she didn't when I needed the toilet repaired. It was never repaired.
I don't have the energy or money to move again, but should I, before I settle in, if I ever can? (Maybe I can sue to get my money back, since I was led to believe she owned.) Or should I repair and deduct when repairs are necessary?
Also, if anyone knows of a way I can deaden the sound in my place, please tell me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neighbor above moving furniture on wood floors

not sure if you can do anything to quiet it down but call the authorities where you live, this isn't just structural or passively-produced noise, it's being visited on you actively and thus can be penalized.

o

Well, if this woman doesn't own the house, who did you sign your lease with? Whoever signed your lease when you did is who you should contact about your problems. Check your lease about how you are supposed to submit items for repair and what not. Sorry I can't be of more help.

o

You are facing several problems.

First, to find out who owns the house, check with city hall or town hall. The owner of the property is listedits a matter of public record. I suspect one of two things is going on: 1) The woman above you owns the property but doesnt want to pay for repairs or 2) the landlords live in Europe and have no idea that she is renting out part of the space.

Second, about the broken toilet. Usually, there are regulations requiring landlords to fix things like this, provide adequate heat, running water, etc. Check your state laws on this matter. Ask her again to get it fixed or tell you how to contact the landlords to get it fixed. If she refuses, contact whatever agency your state/town/city has for tenant problems. Tell the woman that you will do this if the toilet isnt fixed in one or two days.

Third, about the furniture. You can ask her about rugs again. You can contact the landlords. Or you can move.

Im suspicious that you may be living in an "illegal" apartment, one that isnt allowed by zoning laws or that isnt known to the owners of the building. If you push the woman upstairs too much, she may try to get you to leave. Did you sign a lease or are you month to month? Somethings just not right with this picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here