Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heartsp

Harassment from New Owners

heartsp
17 years ago

This may be a bit long, I apologize in advance.

I am looking for opinions from fellow renters.

I, my husband, and 3 year old child moved into our apartment May 1, 2006. (I am now four months pregnant)

We were extremely happy because it was perfect for us. Neighbors were great and very friendly in our building. Everything was peaceful until a company came in and bought the complex in October 2006.

First, they sent all tenants notices that they were converting the entire complex to low income housing and that we could apply under their criteria, and that if we met it, we could stay. The criteria has been set to where it is impossible for us to meet it, as they state on the forms they will not accept poor credit, and they want all applicants to make 3 times the amount of rent. We are paying $1,090 a month. When we leave, and the conversion is complete our apartment will rent for $945.00 a month.

So even though we are able to pay our rent timely, and have an excellent rental history, they will not let us stay.

After that notice, came another one stating they were immediately terminating all leases. I had to go to housing and an attorney to find out that this is illegal when you are on a yearly lease. The city attorney had to contact these people and reprimand them. Then we all received notices that they never intended to terminate anyone's lease.

One day before Thanksgiving, they put notices out that they were entering our apartments for inspections. I asked to re-schedule since we were preparing for the holiday. They said no, they would not, and if I didn't comply they would give notice to vacate. So we relented and let them in.

At the end of November our furnace broke down. Every single week of December, we had contractors in and out of our apartment trying to fix our furnace. It is over 30 years old and according to them, it needed replacing.They told us they couldn't do much for it, as they had tinkered with it and replaced nearly every part possible.We spent 16 days of the month of December in the cold, regardless of how many letters and complaints we made to these new owners. They finally sent one more contractor out at the end of december,who after looking at our furnace threw his hands up and said he could not do anything and walked out.

It wasn't until the 2nd week of January, they provided us with space heaters.

Two days before Christmas, they insisted that we had to allow Pest Control to come in and spray all apartments. This time I refused to let them in, as I am allergic to some chemical agents. They sprayed outside of my apartment anyway, and I went to the ER that night sick with my throat swelling up.

After the first of the year, they put notices on the door that they would begin construction work and warned us it would be loud and messy, and to bear with them. They began with cutting down trees, bushes, trimming, cutting up trees to mulch, roofing, and then power washing and painting. The entire month of January has felt like I am living in an industrial city full of factories and machinery. My husband works 3rd shift and I can say he has slept a total of 60 hours in the month, due to all the noise. On top of this, comes weekly notices that plumbers are working on our building, and each week there is a day where water is shut off completely from 8am to 4pm. We cannot flush toilets, we cannot use the sink or dishwasher.I just got a notice yesterday that today they would be shutting off water, no water again today.

Finally, they decided to renovate inside of our apartments by tearing out all old windows and replacing with new. They claim that according to civil section code 1954. they have the right to come in and perform all of these upgrades. I looked it up and it says they can, but there is something blurry about the law because it also says "agreed upon repairs, necessary repairs". We call housing and they tell us that they cannot by law come in and do this while we are living there. So we write a letter to them stating we do not want them to come in and do these renovations. Our lease will be up May 1, 2007, and we will be leaving. They came to my door the other day and harassed me and told me that they didnt need my permission to come in and that they were setting a date for contractors to come in, that we will be given 24 hour notice, and if we do not comply they will give us a notice to vacate.

In addition, their contactors are tearing out everything in these buildings, and in the apartment our neighbor above us moved out from, and hoisting it over balconies. Cabinets, countertops, boards, nails, bathroom vanities, piping, and other things. They throw it out onto the court yard and it is so loud like a bomb going off every few moments. The other day a child nearly got hit by a cabinet. I drew the line and complained.

I don't know what to do. These people are not going to stop harassing me until I let them in to do this work. I don't feel I should have to, especially with everything else going on. We have lost ALL quiet enjoyment of this apartment for weeks now. We have written them letters and they ignore it.

I went into early labor last week from the stress of their harassment over the windows, the doctor does not want me around dry wall dust or any possible molds that can come out of pulling these old windows out. The owners do not care. They said they will come in anyway.

They have worn me down and other tenants down. People are packing and leaving left and right. I can't up and leave because I need to save money. I never planned on having to get up and go again once we got here.

Comments (7)

• nfllifer
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You have less than three months left? You should start looking for new places now. Don't let the contractors in if you don't want to. Your notice to vacate may speed up your moving process.

I understand not wanting to move in order to save money but the money you save during the next two months wouldn't seem to be worth the problems you are dealing with.

• heartsp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Please allow me to clarify: I *must* stay here in order to save money to move. I already have been looking for a new place. That is not my issue, the issue is that they want to perform renovations inside of my apartment while we live here, and they are harassing me to do so.

I cannot afford an early notice to vacate, as that could possibly render us homeless.

Housing called me again today to tell me that I must *agree* to let these people in to do this work, and that if I do not agree, they cannot come in.

The civil section code 1954. in California states that the owner has right to entry to make improvements. The line is very blurry, about where their rights begin and mine end.

Even though I have spoken with the owners again, to tell them I do not AGREE with their entering to renovate windows, they say they have legal right to in order to IMPROVE. I think these people are disgusting, and according to housing and other sources here, this particular owner has a habit of doing this to to other apartments.

• gollygwhiz
    17 years ago

Here in Virginia, I work coordinating evictions after foreclosures. So what if you get a Notice to Vacate? If you don't (here), they take it to trial in which you'd be able to state your case with all of the documentation that you've been keeping from all of your contact with them (such as phone log, copies of the letters, summaries of phone calls to the housing athority). if they're granted possession, they still have to file with the court and get teh sheriff involved for a lockout. All of which takes time, which is what you're looking for.

• housenewbie
    17 years ago

I'd be surprised if they'd be able to force you out before your lease is up. If I were you, I'd call the cops on them for harassment and then change the locks. By the time their attempt to evict you gets to court, you will have hopefully found somewhere better.

It's obvious that they're trying to force the residents to move out. They found they weren't able to do so with the 'immediate lease terminations,' so they're doing it this way. Happens all the time in NY, when someone wants to get rid of the longtime tenants and go condo or something.

• heartsp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am seriously appalled when I read about how other property owners function in their business dealings. I should say *some* property owners, since not all are unscrupulous. It doesn't make any sense to me, why these people are hell bent on getting in to rip out my windows, when I will be gone at the end of April anyway. But it's as if they have a burning need to weild their almighty powers, regardless of how it effects another human being.

And on a human level, to these people, I am a unit number, not a real person with a real family and a child to consider. They treat everyone here like that. Before these people took over, we had a wonderful man who was in charge. He addressed us by NAME. He waved if he ever saw us coming and going when we went by the office on our way out. If we had a problem, he sent someone over to fix it pronto. He never once harassed me, left ridiculous threatening notes on everyone's doors if one person in the entire complex broke a rule, and he certainly had a life of his own and didn't care to nose into the tenant's lives. This is how a renter should be treated.

I came out of my door today to find a woman sitting on the stairs with her head in her hands crying, while her children were playing around her. She was given a THIRTY DAY notice to vacate, after living at her apartment for NINE years. She says she has no where to go. She should have much longer than this by law, which is SIXTY day notice if living in the apartment over a year. These new owners will try to get away with anything even if they know it is illegal.

Let me also add this, every single time the new manager comes to my door to speak with me, she can't ever look me in my eyes. She will look down at the step, look at the sides, but never in my eyes when speaking to me. I guess it's much easier to harass people when you don't have to actually look them in the eye.

Sorry for my rant, but honestly, it's time for home ownership when it comes to owners treating people like they are dirt beneath their feet.

• melbat
    17 years ago

Hmmm, they are playing head games with you.

Next time they call about renovations, say something like

'I'm pregnant and I have a toddler. I'm going to call the city to have lead testin done before you can do any renovation workk in here. I'm not willing to risk my children without that testing.'

Then call the city and ask who in the city tests for lead.

If that doesn't stop them, post again.

• coolmama
    17 years ago

You need to look into the laws more. Where I live it is a 90 day (3 month) process before they can evict anyone. At thirty days you get a notice.At 60 days,you go to court. At 90 days is when you have to move out...and that is ONLY if the judge decides to side with the complex at the hearing.Obviously if you are still paying rent they would have to have some serious reasons for evicting you...other then not letting them install windows.
    I would take a good look at your lease.Do you see any clause that says ANYTHING about terminating your lease if you dont let them do upgrades? If not,then they dont have much of a choice to leave you alone until your lease is up. Whether or not they are not the ones that signed you to that lease,it is STILL legally binding until it is up.
    I would contact the housing commission in your area,and as someone did in another thread,possibaly even your local congressman.