Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loud Roof Ventilation/Exhaust Fan in Condo

Posted by Ann34 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 14:22

I live on the top floor of a mid sized condo building. Recently (the winter) there has been this loud but low frequency droning noise in the walls facing the hallway. It sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle through the apartment and it is very annoying. It is even louder out in the hallway. If you put your ear to the wall it sounds like an jet engine running. I spoke the the maintenance and they said it was the roof ventilation turbine blades spinning. Probably but why all of a sudden is this so loud and travelling down to my apartment? There is also a slight vibration on the floor. Also this maintenance is not keen to spend money so what possibly can they do to fix it and can I suggest for them low cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loud Roof Ventilation/Exhaust Fan in Condo

This is an issue I'd bring up to the condo association. It's a new noise, which could mean that the cold winter weather or snow is causing it. Or it could mean that something is broken or about to break.

I'd tell the association that you've checked with Maintenance and have not received an answer that explains the sudden increase in volume, and you'd like them to check it out.

If something breaks, you, as a condo owner, will have to pay part of the costs of repair, if the association doesn't have enough money on hand to cover the cost. So you have a vested interest in finding out what the cause of the noise increase is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here