Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roberto6564

Apt management violating privacy ?

roberto6564
17 years ago

Hello,

My sister lives in a nice apt complex in NYC that is home to 3-4 building with about 20 floors in each building and 5-6 apts in each floor. She has been living there last 3-4 yrs wit her 7 yr old daughter and her husband. She has ALWAYS paid her rent on time and absolutely no problems. Last 1-2 yrs she has had problems with her husband and occasionaly he stays at the apt and other times he stays at his mother's apt. He is not on the lease because hje does not work and she does not want problems if they decide to break up andhe is on the lease, they are trying to work it out.

She noticed about 7 months ago a box on her floor directed toward her apt. Security(doorman) in her building advised her to look at the box closer and she found a camera installed by management. They informed her that they wanted to see if her husband was a resident or just stayed occasionaly at the apt. My sister is furious because they could've asked instead of doing this and sneaking behind her back and snooping. My sister went floor by floor, building by building and there are no other cameras.

She understands if there is a security issue ON THE FLOOR but not at her.I know management has their right, but doesn't she have her right ? Now she is wondering if there are cameras in her apt/bathroom. Imagine if the other residents found out what management is doing ?

What should she say or do ?

Comments (5)

• tishanyc
    17 years ago

Go to Tenant.net and post a message in the forum. You will get an informed answer from those that know.

• coolmama
    17 years ago

I'm not sure ,but I would say this sounds pretty illegal to me. tell her to check out the laws in her area involving privacy issues.

• GammyT
    17 years ago

"a nice apt complex in NYC that is home to 3-4 building with about 20 floors in each building and 5-6 apts in each floor"

The landlord has other and better things to do than set up a camera to see who comes and goes from only one apartment where "She has ALWAYS paid her rent on time and absolutely no problems"

My guess is the law is watching

• housenewbie
    17 years ago

I'd think the 'law' would do a better job of concealing the camera. The law would also need to have justification for setting up surveillance, especially in the building. Sitting in the street watching who comes and goes is one thing; videotaping someone's front door is another.

And the nonsense about wanting to know whether the husband is a 'resident'--what do they care? She pays her rent, she can have whoever in the apt. OP didn't say anything about the H being arrested or harassing the neighbors.

This sounds pretty suspicious to me. Fortunately, there's lots of govt info on the Web for NYC. Find the tenants' rights website and take it from there. Maybe consult a lawyer too.

• camlan
    17 years ago

Who is the "they" that told your sister what the camera was for? Security or the building management? If it was Security, they might not have the whole story.

Your sister should check her lease carefully. I have had leases in the past that state that all adult residents of the apartment must be on the lease. I belive this is so that the landlord can charge appropriately for water and any other provided utilities. It is possible that your sister's lease has a clause such as this. There is usually a provision for guests that states that after a given number of weeks, someone is not a guest but a resident.

It is possible to buy fake cameras for about $50 that look very real, down to bilinking lights and such. Is there any chance this is what is pointed at your sister's door?

I think she has every right to call the management of the building and ask what the box is and why there is only one of them and it's pointed at her door. Then she can go from there.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA