Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best food to grow on apartment balcony

Posted by hvixx (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 14:12

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best food I could grow on my apartment balcony. Space is average size, can fit a bike and small table set. Living in Ireland so would have to be foods suiting my climate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best food to grow on apartment balcony

Tomatoes can do well in a large pot. Otherwise, I think you'll do best with herbs to add to your cooking.

o

It depends on the amount of sun you get, how much full sun do you get? If you get at least 5+ hours of sun you could grow alot of different foods in containers.
I've grown peppers,eggplant.squash, my tomatoes & herbs did really well.
Christine

o

There's a balcony gardening forum here, in case you did't know:

EDIT Oops, I see you found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Balcony Gardening

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 22:58

o

You can do small/half size blueberry plants. Also small fruit trees - there are some that are sized for large pots. Also strawberries.

I'm not sure about your climate, but there are enough varieties for the different climates - you ought to be able to find ones that work for you.

o

@writersblock sorry yes only found the balcony gardening forum after posting here! Sorry about that am a new member.

The balcony does not get very much sun, especially during the winter but its picking up now. It's overshadowed by another building also for half of the day so only sunlight would be in the mornings. I doubt tomatoes would do well in this weather anyway, I've only ever successfully grown them inside. Blueberries is a new one I might look into that. Any more suggestions or best practice advice is very welcome thank you all. Low maintenance and high yield plants would be the most effective I'd think. I am a student with not a lot of time but a consciousness to where my food comes from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here