Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
futeki18

What are my rights?

futeki18
16 years ago

Okay, here is my situation, any advice/help would be appreciated. I just moved into my 2-Bedroom apartment a month ago, I'm the only one on the lease. At the time I moved in my husband and I were seperated. After I had lived there a couple weeks, he and I reconciled, and he moved in with me. I didn't update my lease because I wanted to keep only my name on everything. My husband is a registered sex offender because of a drunk, peeing in public outside a bar incident. He has to keep his registration updated, so when he moved in he updated it. About a week after he moved in the apartment manager was banging on my door. He asked me if my husband was living there, and when I said yes, he told me he didn't want to have to file an eviction, but that we needed to get out immediately. We got out within a weeks time of him coming by, turned our keys in rather than fight them on it. He has since sent us a bill for February's rent, even though we were out on January 30th. He was the one that asked us to leave, so are we liable to pay this? I kind of feel like he is being discriminatory, although I understand how he feels. Is there anything we can do?

Comments (12)

• lucy
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Unless there is a law somewhere saying the RSO's cannot live in apartments, I would not think you should have to pay if you're kicked out. Don't be so understanding, BTW, he's in business and has all kinds of things to deal with, not just that.

• GammyT
    16 years ago

Thank goodness there are a lot of laws saying where sex offenders can live. If I were you I wouldn't believe my husband and really check on what he did. Peeing outside a bar is a lie. To be a sex offender a minor child was involved.

You broke the lease by moving your sex offender husband in. Odds are the landlord found out about that because of the offender list.

How long was your lease? From what you said here he said go and you left on the 30th. That left him no time to find a tenant for February.

It isn't your landlords fault that you broke the lease.

• fotostat
    16 years ago

I would have kicked you out the hard way and made you pay the entre year of the lease. And yes, I have ways of making people like you pay...

• Katie S
    16 years ago

Be sure to check the registry and also the orginal arrest records and be sure you know EXACTLY what the charges and circumstances were. Do NOT take his word for it.

• manhattanmatt
    16 years ago

This is like living in Nazi Germany with these "sex offender" reporting laws.

• dissident
    16 years ago

I suggest checking the ego at the door before you get yourself in a bad situation. You are not judge, jury, and executioner, and have no right to make someone pay for a year lease after kicking them out. You think you've got ways of making people pay? Had you tried anything like that with me...

• maryjane45
    15 years ago

I was out one night and saw a guy get busted by the police for peeing in public. He did get the sex offender title because apparently pulling your penis out in public is considered public masterbation.

• lucy
    15 years ago

That's outrageous - Picasso is known to have done that one night after drinking with friends - can you imagine what his life might have been (and what the world might have lost) if some little beaurocrat had not been able to see beyond his own nose?

• mrscoburn813
    11 years ago

Not to come off as a bully, but @gammyt perhaps you should learn the law before u question a woman about how well she knows her husband. That goes for anyone else too. Ignorance is not a good thing when it comes to the law. And there is definitely a difference between a sex OFFENDER and a sex PREDATOR. my husband also was put on that list for public urination & yes, I know for a fact that is the reasoning seeing as I was with him...

• mrscoburn813
    11 years ago

Not to come off as a bully, but @gammyt perhaps you should learn the law before u question a woman about how well she knows her husband. That goes for anyone else too. Ignorance is not a good thing when it comes to the law. And there is definitely a difference between a sex OFFENDER and a sex PREDATOR. my husband also was put on that list for public urination & yes, I know for a fact that is the reasoning seeing as I was with him...

• mrmei1177
    6 years ago

@gammyt you need to educate yourself. You have no clue what you are talking about. Just because a person is a SO does not mean a child is involved. @fotosat you would have done nothing but maybe end up in jail clown

Sponsored