Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
art_junkie

Finding a decent Roommate?

art_junkie
13 years ago

I'm still in college, my boyfriend just graduated. He was offered a job in our hometown, and it's too good to pass up. So he'll be staying in NJ while I move down to GA to finish my degree. I'm probably going to have to take a roommate in, if I want to live in the section of town I want.

How do I screen roommates?

How do I word adds for the room?

Should I mention my dog and my activities? (I bike, walk, and am an art student, so there's a lot of stuff around)

How do we determine how we split the rent?

Comments (2)

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

It's been a while, but some thoughts...
    -your college may have some kind of student assistance service that helps with finding roommates or accepts advertisements for students looking for them
    -do interview potential roommates to get a feel for their vibe
    -do mention your dog so those with allergies or dislikes won't waste both of your time
    -do mention your art at least so those who would be bothered by art materials (I am sensitive to the presence of solvents etc) won't waste both of your time
    -rent is generally split 50-50 as are utilities unless there is some huge imbalance in the amenities each enjoys- for instance if one occupies a large bedroom with ensuite bathroom while the other has a small bedroom and uses the public bathroom. Some address this imbalance by trading rooms every six months
    -if you have both names on the lease each is liable for rent in case of default, but if only one name is on the lease s/he is solely responsible for all costs if the other defaults; OTOH if both are on the lease and it doesn't work out it's harder for one or the other to leave.

• janellelk
    13 years ago

Finding a decent roommate can be a very tricky thing.. Definitely draw up some sort of contract.

Here is a link that might be useful: minneapolis apartments

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County