Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want my roommate out and they aren't on the lease

Posted by stillaliz (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 21:09

i have a problem...i live in florida and i had my boyfriend move in with me to help pay the rent. we are no longer together but i agreed to let him stay because i cant afford the rent alone. now he has parties when im not home and he is becoming rude and violent. what are the florida laws on evicting someone who is not on the lease??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want my roommate out and they aren't on the lease

http://www.hud.gov/local/fl/renting/tenantrights.cfm

Google is ur friend!!

o

best of luck!

If you rlandlord won't be upset about a not-on-the-lease person having lived in your home, he/she might be able to give you some info. (When I rented in NYC, my landlord wanted only one name on the lease; he didn't care if you had a roommate, but he did not want to be in an agreement with a group; only w/ one person. All roommates were considered to be subtenants of the person who had the lease)

o

If he's becoming violent, call the cops. Have a restraining order put on him. Change the locks.

o

I think your best bet is to threaten to call the cops on him. Scare him a little. If he's not on the lease it's like he's a guest that has extended is his stay. He really has no lawful right to stay there. I know it's daunting to actually go and get police involved, and could make things sour (even more than they could be), but if it bothers you enough it would get results.

Maybe you could convince him to find someone else to move into with. If he's throwing parties, he has to have friends. Butter him up, make it sound like a really good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here