Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mail is returned to sender

Posted by jackster_2009 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 2, 09 at 21:08

I live in a student apartment complex near college park. I've complained several times about noise but I realize that will not allow me to break my lease. A couple of days ago I get an email from TIME magazine (I subscribe) telling me that my issue was returned and they wanted to verify that I had not moved. My address has not changed. I also spoke with a friend of mine, who tried to send me a letter, she told me that the letter was returned to her. It seems that all of my mail is now being returned to sender. The office is open (they receive the mail and then place it into the boxes). I spoke to them before we went on winter break because I get a few magazines and he mail boxes are tiny. They said that they would place them in a bundle and then give them to me when I get back. Is this something that I could use to break my lease. They are interfering with the federal government here. There is no opt-out or buyout in the contract (should have read it more closely) so I technically have to stay until it ends (or sub-let). But there is also no clause dealing with mail.

Any suggestions?

Jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mail is returned to sender

Well, that's a new one.
As a LL, I would never open/alter delivery of a tenant's mail. I have had it continue to be delivered after a move. I either bundle it up and leave for carrier in mailbox with a note, or more often take it straight to the P.O. and let them handle it. Pretty nervy to put a return to sender order on it. Especially since you're still under an active lease, that box is considered yours and no one else's. That could really bunge up your credit if you don't get your bills, etc.

I would file a complaint with Postmaster at your local PO. Although you can file online, I would go talk to them, in person, to see what recourse you have, if any. (Ask for the person in charge, go to the top, they are there and available.)

And then I would seek some kind of legal advice, there is probably a free legal aide society in your area for students? If you're in College Station, TX, then also google "Texas Landlord Tenant Laws" (without quotes). But I would get legal advice, because this probably doesn't fall under typical lease language.

Even if you didn't want out of your lease before, having your mail tampered with is a pretty good reason to want out now.

o
RE: Mail is returned to sender

Sorry, I misread that, wrong coast ;)
Here's your LL/Tenant laws.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here