Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frustrated2_gw

super lying and causing trouble

frustrated2
18 years ago

This may be a bit long, but I am angry.

We got a new super in May/05. Things have been getting bad since then. People I have been friends with for years are getting upset. The property manager has accused me of things that do not make sense. Worse of all my upstairs neighbors make noise on purpose now.

If I see the super he talks to me about many things. He likes to insult the other tenants. He comes into my place, hears the noise, and says it's too loud.

I just found out that he is doing the same to everyone. He tells me it is too loud, but then tells them to ignore me. He is playing both sides, but doing nothing.

He talks to me, but the property manager will contact me and tell me to stop bothering him. I mentioned the other day that I did not want to talk to him because I was going to get in trouble.

I was a model tenant until he moved in. If the property manager wanted something she called me. Now because he is not telling anyone the truth tenants are upset with each other.

I am planning to tape my next conversation with him. Get him lying on tape.

Comments (5)

• spewey
    18 years ago

Ah, taping someone without their permission? You do know that is illegal, don't you?

If I was the owner or manager, and you played that to me and established yourself as a criminal, I'd have the super evict you. Landlords don't need that kind of potential trouble.

• frustrated2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess i wasn't clear. I will tell him right out that I am taping all conversations with him. I have nothing to hide. I thought that through. I'll just say that I have to protect myself. Plain and simple I will not be falsely accussed.
    I don't think the management in this building really cares. It will be for my own peace of mind. I do not like liars.
    I'm looking for somewhere new. It's not worth the trouble.
    I do not want to see a dishonest person causing trouble for people who I consider friends.

• frustrated2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually Spewy, I woul;d have thought someone might have an opinion on a dishonest super rather than telling the tenant that their behavior will get them evicted.
    I have to assume you are a super or agree with tenants being lied to. That is unfortunate. People should be honest. It would make the world a better place.
    It's too bad that decent people get knocked down all of the time. Try to stand up for your rights and get attacked. So much for morals, ethics and the law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• spewey
    18 years ago

I believe in honesty, but I also believe in the very fundamental right of privacy and the rule of law, which is why I called to your attention that covertly taping a conversation is illegal.

You're looking to move; that's the right decision for you.

• ebrigham
    18 years ago

The legality of taping phone conversations varies by state to state. In fact, most states allow a person to record a phone conversation they are participating in w/o informing the other party - AKA "one-party consent". A minority of states are "two-party consent" - which means both/all people taking part in the conversation must give consent... The laws are pretty well established and you may well be within your right to tape to do this.

In most cases, it is illegal to record a conversation that you are not a party to without explicit consent. But I believe you fall under the first paragraph so I would check it out...

Sponsored