Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Get Out Of Lease If Didn't Move in?

Posted by reblrosek9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 18:29

I live in WA state. Can i get out of a six month apt. lease if I never moved in? My ex signed a lease to move into an apt. (meant for me). After the big power outtage in our area, the money meant for the apt. got spent...most of the city was out of power. He can no longer afford the apt., has returned the keys and never moved in, tho he did go thru the walk thru with the realtors. He is now liable to pay six months worth of rent even tho he CAN'T and never moved in. Is there anyway he can get out of this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Get Out Of Lease If Didn't Move in?

A lease is a contract. It's not the LL's fault that he didn't move in. That said, if the LL re-rents the place, you normally wouldn't be liable for the period of the term that the new tenant takes over. So, in other words, your term would have been 6 months, LL doesn't find a tenant for 2 months. Someone finally moves in. You would most likely would be responsible for the two months it stood empty before the new tenant took over.

o

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Did your ex lease an apartment for you to move into? How long was the power outage and how did that affect the money so badly? How long ago did this happen? I'm just sort of in the dark (so to speak). We can help if you give us a more details. Hope you can work things out with the apartment.

o

None of those things matter. We don't need more details.

The guy signed a lease. He owes.

It's not the landlords fault that the guy "spent all the money" meant for the apartment.

Hopefully the LL can rent the apartment soon, so he does not have to pay the entire six months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here