Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick Fix for Open Closet in our apartment

Posted by goofie (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 15:59

We have a closet in our apartment(condo) that have no doors! im looking for a cheap/quick fix for hiding my clutter. I was thinking of curtains. But was wondering if there is any other elegant solution. The dimensions are not standard, and it is 92"(L) and 31"(W). Since this is a rented apartment, any solution that do not require major remodeling is most welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closet Picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick Fix for Open Closet in our apartment

Curtains would be a fast and easy way to cover the doorway. You could get a tension rod to fit that space easily. I'd recommend curtain rings, which would slide easily on the rod. Otherwise, you will be constantly fighting with the curtain to move it back and forth and it would most likely stay open a lot of the time.

You could also get a folding floor screen and put that in front of the closet. Most screens aren't 91" tall, though, so there might be a gap at the top. You could probably make a folding screen out of a couple of bi-fold doors, though. You'd just move it in front of the closet when you aren't using it and move it away when you are.

There are also these sliding panels that I've seen in catalogs. Mostly, they seem to be for patio doors, but they could probably be mounted on a wall. The link is below.

Depending on your decorating style, you could also do long strings of beads or long ribbons hanging from a tension rod.

Here is a link that might be useful: sliding panels

o

Why not just ask the landlord for a door? No one should be expected to have their personal stuff on display all the time!

o

Hi Camlan..
thx for all the useful tips..i found a folding door in home depot site..

but the height is 80". will i be able to install it in my 92" opening.

Here is a link that might be useful: home depot folding door

o
To Lucy

we just moved into this apartment, and was aware of this open space. so not in a position to bother the landlord.

o

If the door isn't overly heavy, you use good hinges, and there's wood framing at the door edges, and your landlord is ok with it, why not? To fill the overhead space, why not find a stained glass (or fake) pix and frame it to fit, and just tack it in? Or use any other kind of 'filler'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here