Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmn87

Annoying Neighbor

cmn87
18 years ago

Ok, this may seem to be a reversal of the typical noisy neighbor complaint, but here goes...

I moved into a condo in Oct '03. The first night I had some friends over, we stayed up a little late, and made too much noise. My neighbor came over, I apologized, and it didnt happen again.

Off and on, she'd come by complaining about noise, and there seriously wasn't anything other than a reasonable amount of noise (i.e. a tv). She even came by complaining about noise when I wasn't even home!

To appease her, I ended up moving my tv & computer off our shared wall (about 1month in), got carpeting installed, added stuff into the place to absorb sound, etc, etc.

Things seemed to be going good after I ran into her husband and he told me not to worry because his wife is a little bit of a nut (maybe from staying at home all day in her nightgown).

So, about a year passed, and I didnt hear a thing. I overheard her on New Year's Eve '05 talking to another neighbor saying she got complaints against her (could be from when they blast movies on Tuesdays ... my floors literally shake, but I didnt say a word).

So, basically, since then, she's been banging on the shared wall of ours at random times! Most recently, I stayed home from work last Wednesday and was listening to some music at 4PM, and she complained her dog could hear the music. Or on Monday, I was watching TV, nothing loud at all, and she starts banging on the wall again. Go figure, the next night I could hear the bass vibrating all up and down my wall from her movie.

To make a long story short, I did call the police finally on Monday because I've done everything I can. I've spent a lot of money on different solutions, etc. I spoke with a friend who is a cop, and he said that calling the cops doesn't really do anything other than documenting it. In fact, if she starts banging on the wall, he said to just turn it up. He also said it usually ends with one person moving, and she's been there for 17 years...

I've written to the property management company as far back as last year, and it's ridiculous that anyone would have to put up with this. Unfortunately, it's going to be about a year before I can save up enough money to move into a house.

So what to do till then?

Comments (4)