Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you want answers to your question, start a new thread, please!

Posted by camlan (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 15:41

Want people to read your post and give you answers? The worst way to do this is to post a new message to a thread that is years old.

A lot of new posters here look up old threads and add their question to the bottom of the thread.

This is a good way to make sure no one reads your post. Many of the additions to threads that are several years old are spam, so few people take the time to read them.

Start a new thread. It will give your post a much better chance of getting read and responded to.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Apartment Living forum (or any forum you choose).

2. Scroll down the page until you see "Post a Message to the Forum."

3. Type your post in the box under "Message."

4. Click "Preview Message" to read your post as it will appear on the forum.

5. Make changes if you need to and then,

6. Click "Submit message."

There you go! A new message on the forum that will attract a lot more attention than an addition to a thread from 2003.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you want answers to your question, start a new thread, ple

I respectfully disagree camlan. Opening an old post and adding a comment or question does get attention. Some old posts have valid info & adding a question may illuminate the older posts. Yes, often the OP is long gone, but if I see an old post date come up to the top of the list, it may have something new I want to see in it (it may also be a spammer adding a link to sell something but that's a whole 'nother issue).

This forum is full of dreadfully old posts, but that's because it's an inactive forum. I do look at refreshed posts form 2003. Maybe I just have a comment to someone else's comment that doesn't warrant a whole new post. I'm pretty sure I don't need a tutorial on how to create a post....

Now if you're saying folks are opening old posts & putting totally unrelated stuff onto them, then I agree with you, but that doesn't seem to be the problem you're complaining about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here