Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shasta_gw

Asking for a quiet night's sleep

shasta
18 years ago

I have recently had new neighbors move into the apartment above me. I have been told it's two guys. One of the guys has his girlfriend spend the night almost every night as far as I know. They have the bedroom above mine. For three weeks now, I have kept a log of the dates and times of night that they wake me up. It's been pretty much 5 nights out of 7 and the times are between 11:45 PM and 12:30 AM. It's their bed that wakes me up. NOW, if it were loud music, or fighting, or other excessive noise, I'd have a legitimate complaint. I feel I should STILL have a legitimate complaint, though, as they are waking me up each and every time they go at it. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I've had a few ideas like leaving a note and letting them know I hear their bed squeak but I don't know them and I don't want to make this an emabarrassing situation. I've banged on the closets, the walls, the ceiling....do I REALLY need to call the cops and say they are fighting and let THEM figure out what kind of noise they are actually making? I pay to live (which includes sleeping) here just as much as they do. But I feel my rights are being violated. And no, I'm NOT going to wear ear plugs as I've already had suggestions of the idea.

Comments (5)

• kweenie97
    18 years ago

I don't blame you for being upset. I too am a fellow sleep deprivee. I've actually been woken up by a 3some above us at 4am. Lovely. It all depends on how comfortable you are about going about it. If you don't feel comfortable letting them know that there is noise waking you up at those times (I doubt you'd really have to say it was the sex because they could probably figure it out) then by all means call the police and just say you have a noise complaint. I wouldn't say they are fighting, just that there's a lot of banging around that's disruptive. Or you could try talking to the landlord and let them know you're being woken up. Hey, if you happen to find something that works, let me know please? We've been dealing with the girl upstairs since August. :o( Good luck to you!

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Have you tried ear plugs? You're probably not going to convince them to practice abstinence. And as for the police, be careful about a false complaint, or you may find yourself getting a quiet night's sleep in the local jail.

• kaina01
    16 years ago

We have had problems with new upstairs neighbors who have woke us up having rather loud sex. In the 3 years we have lived at this newer community- we have never heard anyone having sex. And I am sure it's happening all around us all the time.

In fact- now we hear their every move and their cats- even though we live in a no pet community. We have taken video of the cats in the window- we just caught this past week at 1 AM- after being woken up by loud stomping noises once again. Although they are loud all the time- we only complain for noises after midnight.

We call our security patrol- and I have no problems telling them the upstairs neighbors woke us having loud sex. And it's gross. And I don't appreciate it. I don't scream at the top of my lungs every night. Screamers are over rated anyways.

We also asked our managers to do a mediation with the upstairs unit. So far- the neighbors upstairs haven't agreed to it. We asked on the Aug 28th. So far- still no response from the neighbors. I also mentioned to the managers that we thought maybe the cats were making some of the noises....since we have video of them jumping up and then off and then up and then off a desk by a window. At 1 am. So I wasn't malicious in turning them about their pet. I just want some sleep. It's been since the second week of July. We have used ear plugs, sleeping aids, fans and the AC unit as white noise.....we just wnat to sleep through the night. Amen.

• michallevi_mail_com
    16 years ago

We have had problems with new upstairs neighbors who have woke us up having rather loud sex.I left them this week at 12pm a note on the door who says "Could you please stop knocking your bed on the wall between 11pm to 7am we are trying to sleep" (i did not sign my name) and since then it is quiet.

• ihatenoise
    16 years ago

Thats all i ask for too is a quiets night sleep, but apparently its asking TOOMUCH!