Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucy_tenant

Neighbor pounds on ceiling at 3 am to try to wake me up

lucy_tenant
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been reading everyone's posts on here seeing if anyone has had the same problem as me, but none have come close and I am looking for advise now. I live on the top floor. I am extremely considerate of the girl living below me. My apartment is all hardwood floors and it is a very old building. The floors move and creak all the time. Because of this I never,ever even wear my shoes in my place. I go to bed everynight between 9 and 10 pm. I am only awake and in my apartment for about 3 hours everyday. The rest of the time I am at work, then the gym, and then come home for dinner and go to bed. I live by myself and have even bought carpets to put all over the floors to try to help with the noise of walking around.

My issues come into play at around 3-4 am every night. The girl that lives below me must be up late, and also knows that I have been asleep for some time now. She thinks it is funny to throw a basketball into the ceiling at these very late hours. It scares me and wakes me up. It is done intentionally everynight around the same time. She will do it once, wait a few minutes, do it again. Sometimes she does it only a few times, sometimes it has lasted for about 15 min. To me this is unacceptable. I have contacted the management company and they said that they have talked to her, but it still continues. I am at a loss of words now. I email/call the management company the next day everytime it happens. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

I really do make every effort to not make noise.

I have wanted to start calling the police, but as everyone says, it doesnt really seem to do a whole lot. If I try to talk to the girl below me, she does not answer the door. And hte management company seems to just not really care. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for anyones advice or suggestions.

Comments (23)

• willamae
    15 years ago

Keep calling management. Don't let up. Also document EVERYTHING. You might even want to set up a little tape recorder.

I find it odd the girl below you doesn't answer her door..have you conveyed that to management?

Best of luck and keep us posted

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

Wow, lucy, chip on your shoulder much?

There's absolutely nothing in the OP to suggest that she's nasty. The nasty one here is the neighbor below who is intentionally waking up the OP in the middle of the night. The neighbor below obviously knows she's in the wrong and is refusing to come to the door because she's scared to deal with it.

Definitely keep contacting the management, and document, document, document every time that you do. If they don't take care of this after a certain amount of time, frankly I'd break my lease and move elsewhere...and just try to let them collect the money. If they took me to court over it, I'd show the documentation that they refused to resolve the situation, and it was untenable -- surely her doing this violates some clause in your lease?

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

You are a rude person, aren't you? I was nice enough to respond to your stupid post & you jump my ass because you didn't like that I used the word "Mexican". Would you rather I use the terms "Wetback" or "Spic"? Now those are derogatory terms, the word Mexican isn't! So you know where you can stick your opinions, Lucy! I hope your downstairs neighbor keeps pounding as hard as she can every night & she keeps you up so you never get any sleep. Maybe you'll learn to keep you fat mouth shut & keep your nasty opinions to yourself. I bet she's pounding for a reason. You are probably not telling us the whole story. You're probably the one who pounds on the ceiling to keep her awake. I've dealt with people like you before. People who don't have a life & live to annoy & harass their neighbors. There's a word for people like you, but I won't say it here...

• lucy
    15 years ago

Rivkadr - you're right about who's at fault here, and think it was a knee-jerk reaction to having lived in apts many years ago, and having unknown or semi-unknown men come to the door unexpectedly - would not answer unless the peephole showed someone I was expecting or wanted to talk to.

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

grinch, you're confusing the OP with a different lucy. The lucy who responded to you is not the original poster with the problem.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Thanks Rivka - wish she'd use a diff. name :-)!

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

My apologies to you, Lucy! When I saw the name Lucy, I thought it was the same person who posted this topic who was being nasty to me! My mistake. To the Lucy starting all of the trouble on this thread, you know where you can stick your unwanted, asinine opinions! LOL! :)

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

By the way, I want to add that this Lucy person seems to be making this sort of thing a habit, going on other people's threads & being nasty to other people who have posted before her. For an example of what I'm talking about, go onto this thread & scroll down towards the bottom of the page to see her nasty comments:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/apt/msg011942302311.html?66
    She's just a downright nasty troll. If she keeps it up, I'm going to turn her into this website & hopefully she'll be banned from coming on here again.

• willamae
    15 years ago

"What? Are tenants (especially females) now required by law or something to answer their doors to strangers, especially ones who may be known to be nasty?"

WOW. In fact lucy, I do find it odd. True, there is no law requiring someone to open their door. I just think, if someone knocked at my door, I'd look out the peep hole (if there is one), take note of whether or not that person looks reasonable (AND I KNOW THERE ARE SOME CREEPS OUT THERE THAT LOOK REASONABLE) and answer. I'm not some idiot. I know one shouldn't just BLINDLY open their door...damn

Also, if the OP lets the management know she tried talking to the neighbor one on one, the management would be informed of effort on the OPs part.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

The neighbor below obviously knows she's in the wrong and is refusing to come to the door because she's scared to deal with it.

That is just an assumption.

I would NEVER answer my door to anyone who was not expected. You can't tell by "just looking at someone" if they are dangerous.

*Better safe than sorry. Better rude than raped.*

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

Um...the OP is a woman (her name is lucy). I'm a fairly paranoid, nervous person myself since I have, in fact, been sexually assaulted, but even I don't worry about getting raped by other women.

One can also assume that since the OP knows that the person below her is a woman, that they've at least passed each other once or twice in the hallway or stairs (else how would she know that the person below is female?). If I looked out my peephole and saw a neighbor, I would open the door...unless I was doing something incredibly wrong and rude to that neighbor and didn't want to be confronted.

• getmeouttathisapt
    15 years ago

I personally think this sounds like harassment and worthy of legal action.
    I would file a complaint with the office..in writing and call the police..having a record.I would call the police every time she does this.If it doesn't stop w/in a week of police calls..or the landlord doesn't do something after all of that.If you can afford it..call a lawyer.Otherwise...if you don't mind moving and can afford it...just do that and save yourself all the drama.
    Good Luck!

• lucy
    15 years ago

OMG!!! That explains something! I just looked at the OP's first post, and read her name (apart from the fact it's the same as mine), and it finally sunk in (can take a while :-) that she IS female. Where the heck did I get the idea she wasn't? I must have been reading something else somewhere along the way and just assumed she was male - can you now all get why I was responding to things the way I did? SORRY!!

• lasershow
    15 years ago

Add me to the list of people who never answers her door unless she is expecting someone. We do have an intercom and if I'm not expecting someone, I don't acknowledge the buzzer. I figure if, on the off chance it was one of my friends popping in, they would call me on their cellphone and say, "Hey are you home? I'm downstairs!" But I live alone and I've had uncomfortable experiences with repairmen, so I just don't answer, period.

• willamae
    15 years ago

DEAR GOD do I regret ever suggesting you try to speak to this person directly, by knocking on their door.

to the OP has anything changed or happened?

• black-thumb
    15 years ago

Lucy tenant

Sorry to hear about this happening. I know you say your trying to be careful about the noise but it sounds like the building just won't let that happen. Old buildings carry noise. She probably assumes your not trying to be careful so figures the best approach is a childish one and make noise when your sleeping.

If she won't answer the door, which I don't do either since you never know and sometimes women are the hook to get you to trust, rare but it does happen. ( I missed a package once because the guy didn't look like a regular delivery person. lol)

Anyway maybe you could try writing her a letter stating that you try to keep the noise down but the building is just old and that you would like to talk to try and reach some kind of understanding between the two of you. Keep a copy and document everthing if you can tape the noise she makes in the wee hrs of the morning just in case she still refuses to try and be mature and work it out.

As to the other thing.

I didn't understand what the people being mexican had to do with the issue either. Sorry.

• HU-735924879
    3 years ago

Sorry you are going through this! I'm in a similar situation, only the immature girl lives aside of me, and she ponds on the walls and slams doors. Same thing with office management. I've called the police and most times she turns out the lights and stays Quiet to make it like she sleeping or not home. Unfortunately I can't afford to move and really shouldn't have to. Been residing at this apartment 20 plus years. Good luck to you and hope you get some advice and assistance on how to resolve your issue.

• Amy Trapani
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

First of all , we are in the middle of a pandemic. There is absolutely no reason to come in contact with your neighbors right now. That's wrong on so many levels. There's no law that says you have to answer the door for your neighbor.youd better look that up real fast because if you continue to knock on your neighbors door they could record you and file harassment charges against you. I live under someone who bangs on my wall at 5am every day and I'm about to press charges against. I somehow get the feeling you are the one making the noise and she is banging on the wall to give you a hint that you are breaking the apartment's noise policy.you are only home 3 hours a day? That doesn't make sense, especially during a pandemic when you are supposed to be at home as much as possible away from people. You bought carpets to put on the floor? I'd check with management on that, you probably annoyed the hell out of them installing the carpet. No one bangs on someone else's wall in apartment unless their neighbors are constantly being annoying and inconsiderate. Something seems off here.

• Amy Trapani
    3 years ago

Someone else responded to the post before I did recently and it showed up on my Google inquiry. Pandemic or not, people legally don't have to answer the door for anyone who knocks on it,unless its police with a warrant. Most people are not going to knock on the walls of the apartment at time except to communicate to their neighbor to be quiet if they are making unusual noises at early hours.

• ARIA SPENCE
    last year

She/he/they is/are not the only one. They are American, period. They do it to AMERICANS because some of them have disdain for Americans. in increasingly larger groups…

My Central American neighbors within the Washington DC border line area make noise every night and extend it throughout the day for 20 hours before they sleep for around 3 to 4 hour NAPS. (Washington, DC IS SUPPOSED TO BE A QUIET CONSERVATIVE AREA. The DMV…) Then they wake up and are back at the noise mashing alcohol bottles heavily in the trash on alternating days. Their dogs bark loudly during the day and their cats are extremely loud during the night. Batchata and mariachi and horrible hip hop are blasted as they gossip.

And it is on a residential block. Not in an apartment complex. They are very loud, belligerent, smoke marijuana and are xenophobic against AMERICANS OF ALL COLORS. The Mexicans are not roudy and have good restaurants, from what I know. it is another group of obnoxious central american people causing problems and lowering the neighborhood quality. They also obsessively say they hate me all day long thousands of times daily. They bang loud objects on ceilings in New York. They do not refrain from being tacky and tasteless. They are not refined. These spoiled apples out of the bunch are ruining it for others and make their people look bad.

• ARIA SPENCE
    last year

I also don’t know where this loud trend is coming from. They make loud noises daily and then after that they have akward silence. They kept throwing something extremely heavy onto the floors of their apartment complex that sounded like heavy dumbells. ??? in a nice area of Queens, New York… They ruin apartment complexes until the perimeters of the walls, ceilings and floors split from constant poundings. Then they cause ceiling leaks by trying to take 1-3 hour long showers after smoking illegal substances that are most likely not legal TOBACCO.

• ARIA SPENCE
    last year

I’m also not going to post anything else here on this website because I see thousands of people over the internet are complaining about noises from belligerent neighbors and get dismissed by ignorant people clamouring for attention. it is a pattern.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH