Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Running Noise

Posted by cori21 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 20, 07 at 13:34

I am fine with normal everyday noise coming from the condo above us. Hard wood floors creaking, footsteps, are fine because I know we share space.

We are in a multifamily that has been condo-ized. I am the condo "manager." The family above us lets their 3-year old daughter run around the condo constantly. They never take her outside to play and keep her in the house for full days at a time (with them!)

I have called up once to say, "Please stop." My husband has called twice. My china cabinet full of china shakes constantly. I can hear the child running around all the way in the basement with the dryer on next to me.

What to do? Is there anything to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Running Noise

Ugh. I lived in a situation like this for about 3 years, it was utter hell. It was a NYC (Queens) co-op, pre-war, so there was no insulation at all between the (hardwood) floors. People upstairs (in a studio apartment no less, there wasn't even a bedroom, so there was no escaping any of this) had a toddler that they allowed to constantly run back & forth all day and night and also to play with hard wooden toys and also, in a particularly selfish and clueless move, a KEYBOARD laid on the bare floor (oh yeah and these neighbors refused to put a stitch of rug or carpeting down). The plaster would literally fall off of my walls and ceilings. This would basically start at about 6:30/7 AM and end around 10/10:30 PM. I was both physically and emotionally exhausted all the time. The pounding would start, as would the escalating pounding in my heart. I could actually feel my blood pressure rising. The attitude of these people was always, "well, it's a child, so too bad". The only relief came when these people finally moved out. Anyway, I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing a similar problem. I think the only thing you really can do is talk to your neighbors about it. I hope they are more reasonable than mine were.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here