Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree falls on my car

Posted by davetheman (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 9:56

A tree fell on my car yesterday in my apartment complex. Not sure what kind of tree it is but its really tall and has very shallow roots. The other trees around are showing their roots due to placement of trees. The car isn't totaled but no drivable. Should the Apartment complex cover my insurance deductible? Should I not even tell my insurance and make the apartment use their insurance to cover my car? I have a $1000 deductible so am trying to find alternate ways to get this covered. Im living in California. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree falls on my car

You've got two different issues here.

First, the apartment complex may or may not be at fault. Check your lease carefully--there may be a clause that they are not responsible for damage to your vehicle or that parking is at your own risk, etc. If they can be held at fault, you will eventually get your money back. If they can't be held at fault, then you are out of luck.

Second, what kind of insurance do you have in California? Where I live, I'd contact my insurance company, which would collect the deductible from the apartment complex if they were found to be at fault. I would *have* to go through my insurance--the contract states that I have to inform them of any damage to the car. Yes, I could avoid that step, but it might come back to haunt me in the future.

You need to check your lease, California law and your insurance policy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here