Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boleyn_gw

Upstairs neighbor a heavy walker/stomper to the point of insanity

boleyn
15 years ago

A couple of months ago a new guy moved in to the apartment upstairs. I've had three people live up there before him with very minimal noise and never had a problem with any of them. This new guy is driving my whole family insane though. He is waking myself and my daughter (6) up almost every morning (I would say he hasn't maybe twice since moving in). He stomps wherever he goes, we always know what room he is in. If I try to bang something on the ceiling, he just stomps louder. When he plays video games, we can hear them loud and clear and his stomping increases to a non stop dancing or something at those times. We are getting no peace and I just cannot handle it. What should I do?

Comments (178)

• S C
    2 years ago

Lmao that device is hardcore!

• HU-54965630
    2 years ago

To rorschached99:

Where have you placed this item to get the full affect? I'm trying to figure out if I buy one where I should put it, as they make noise above the kitchen, my bedroom, my passage, my son's room and the sitting room. It's coming up to £55 do I need to buy 2 or will 1 be sufficient enough to work the whole ceiling? Like how does it work for you cause I want to try get this for Xmas although it says it won't be delivered until Feb 12th *cries*

• Justme
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

In September, 2020, I moved out of my 13 years apartment because the old owners sold the building I was living in. The husband and wife bought it and moved into the 1st floor apartment as if they were tenants, NOT owners. They played loud music like a nightclub, loud tv, 2 large barking dogs, without a care for me. They told me if they were too loud to let them know. For two long months I kept my mouth shut but I no longer keep quiet. The day I asked them to please turned th ings down, which were constantly, they told me to no longer contact them about their noise. After that, they made my life!a living-nightmare. They bought a "Ceiling Vibrator (Thumper)" which should NOT be legal!. They terrorized, tortured, retaliated and harassed me,by turn until finally, I moved out. After a year, I moved into a senior citizen independent living facility and unbelievable, once again met m up face to face with a man living on the 1st floor under me, shockingly, doing the same thing to me, terrorizing, torturing me, retaliating and harassing me because I inforned managemebt of him deliberately slamming down a 🏋️‍♂️heavy🏋️‍♂️barbell onto his apartment floor, causing my entire apartment floor to vibrate . And now, every day, 7 days a week, all day long, he cranks of that evil😈ceiling thumper to get even with me for reporting his loud music and he is relentless. After learning that he has terrorized every single tenant who has ever lived in my apartment and had moved out!! Then the next tenant moves in being unaware that this particular apartment is "MARKED" of people never living in it very long because the manager new informs the new tenants about the man living under rhem.😈 WOW to anybody who ever moves into this apartment because management is NOT going to inform you about the downstairs🏋️‍♂️ evil, retaliating tenant because, all they want and care about is your 💰money!! 😠 Sadly, even the police department will NOT and can NOT do anything because they said, "it is NOT a crime.😔

• Shari Sanders
    2 years ago

Hi Justme, wow. you are the opposite of most here. youre upstairs with a downstairs nightmare? You just burst the bubbles of our hopes that being upstairs would be better.

Good to know that the ceiling thumper works because im about to buy one. If i could make any suggestion to you would be to see about getting some thick carpeting to place down on your floors. Its such a shame that it seems like no one is ”neighborly” anymore. You cant just talk with one another & come up with valid solutions. since this is the 2nd upstairs unit you had issues in, it would be nice if you could talk with downstairs & ask if they find you to be a heavy walker?

the thumpers shouldnt be made illegal, it needs to go deeper than that. It should be illegal to not properly install sound barriers between floors. 2nd & above floors should all have thick padding & carpeting. imo

Good Luck to you.

• Athena P
    2 years ago

Hey, guys, I have a stomper living next door to me now. She moved in with her husband or boyfriend in January of this year and they started being ridiculously loud a couple months ago. They stomp and fight and disturb the peace regularly. I have made numerous complaints but nothing has been done. They had had a huge fight recently and the guy has not been here but the woman is. She stomps so heavily when she comes and goes that it sounds like the Budweiser Clydesdales are walking up and down the stairs. She has also physically assaulted someone downstairs but got away with it. Ugh. I have to use a sound machine and music to drown them out. That might help anyone in this thread who is dealing with excessive noise from their neighbors. I like the Lectrofan sound machine but a loud fan would also work. That ceiling thumper thing is brilliant though.

• Shari Sanders
    2 years ago

Athena, if you live next to a clydedale, can you imagine living under one? Ty for your post as i have wondered if its just me hearing the stomps, etc. Guess you live next to the queen of the clydesdales if you can hear it next door. thats really bad.

it sounds like mine are going to come thru my ceiling. i have to have the tv, music on 24/7 to help drown out the upstairs. when i dont, their sudden bangs & thumps startle my nervous system.

Having a horrid neighbor is no joke.

Im hoping someone hops on the back of your clydesdale & rides her off into the sunset. peace

• Athena P
    2 years ago

Yes, Shari, you're welcome!! hope she breaks her feet and legs. I would absolutely lose it if I lived underneath her. The building is set up so there are steps between 4 units-2 downstairs and two upstairs. The doors are hollow steel which is excellent for transmitting her loud stomping. I can even hear her in the back over my three fans and my air purifier. The only thing I have found that helps is to play a brown noise CD on my stereo. I bought a $1 brown noise MP3 from Amazon music last year and I just put it on repeat to drown her out. It works well in addition to the sound machine, the fans, and the air purifier. I'm on edge as well and jump any time they make noise. They like to throw heavy objects at the wall. Ugh. The good thing is, she works a lot so I get a temporary break but she comes back around 5:00 PM. Weekends kind of stink because she doesn't work and is loud all day and part of the evening. I imagine whomever lives below her is losing their mind too.

• Janna Sobol
    2 years ago

Just here to vent. I have lived in my second-floor apartment in Chicago for 2.5 years, and the problems really started when my upstairs neighbor's girlfriend and little boy moved in. He's probably about 6-7 and he doesn't walk -- he runs, or skips or jumps -- at all times. His room is above my bedroom and generally jumps out of bed onto the floor above my head at around 6:45am, and from there it's a good half hour of stomping back and forth, back and forth across the room. The noise is pretty much constant, and it seems that he must be homeschooled, so there is no real relief. The neighbors have gymnastics-type hanging things from the ceiling at the other end of the house as well as an *actual* trampoline (you can see them through the windows from the street), and you can hear the kid repeatedly swinging and then landing hard on the floor, followed by periods of running and jumping. This happens for a couple of hours a night on most nights. The noise ranges from before 7am to as late as 11:30-12 at night. For context, we live in a 100-year-old building with wood floors and no carpeting, so it's already loud -- but adding an unruly child with dismissive parents into the mix has made it downright unbearable.

I work as a bartender in very busy, larger venues in the city, so I'm worn out from the loud and often stressful environments, and I also work a kind-of second shift schedule. I always wish I could sleep late enough to get a good seven hours or so. But this is never a possibility, because they make sure I'm awake when they're awake. We've asked them so many times to please stop stomping, please teach your child how to NOT run through the apartment (I was raised this way, so I know it's possible), and their typical refrain is, "we'll do our best." In terms of parenting, this is bizarre to me. Like, no, teach your child about manners and neighbors -- he is old enough to understand. We finally stopped asking the neighbors to help, as it was futile, and started asking the landlord to intervene -- something I never want to do, and have never had to do in the past, despite living in many apartments. Sometimes the noise is temporarily better, but it always starts again after a short period of time.

Like others in this thread, I find this exhausting and it's affected my mental health. I want my home to be a place where I can relax, especially after the mental drain of dealing with the public, a scenario which has become a lot more stressful and dangerous during the era of covid. And to anyone who would say, "just move," well, it isn't always that simple -- there are a lot of factors at play, especially affordability, roommates, location etc. Like many people, I'm just getting by as it is, and moving isn't easy and can be costly, and there aren't a lot of affordable places to live. In any case, this situation has finally worn me down, and I've started moving toward a new career path that will have me traveling out of state. The situation in this building has been a major motivator. My neighbors are relentless and I just don't want to live in a place where I can so rarely relax, or get a full night of sleep. I wish they would just move away. Thanks for sharing your stories and helping me feel less alone.

• sweetpea_23
    2 years ago

I feel ur pain. I recently moved & bought a home but I know it's hard like you said to move. That noise made me make the decision to buy. Some people are just rude.

• rorschached99
    2 years ago

Update. The people upstairs moved out. 🤗

• Randolph Thanos
    2 years ago

We have a neighbour who lives above us. She stomps day and night, runs bathwater and shower after 1am and she is retired. Constantly dropping heavy objects on floor and even though she knows that her noise is disturbing us continues to make even more noise. I once spoke to her in person and she acts innocent like nothing is wrong. Most likely she is a drunk or has OCD or some other unchecked mental health issue.

• HU-181054191
    2 years ago

I am an UPSTAIRS neighbour! my downstairs neighbour is SO LOUD with his footsteps they simply reverberate through every inch of my flat, so complete and total lack of sound proofing (V/ old building thats been converted into 9 flats, all different sizes and all inadiquate) if I sleep in my bedroom I can hear my other downstairs neighbour wide awake until 5-6am in the morning playing video games and video calling people, so I sleep in my living room where my other downstairs neighbour is a 55+ year old man on his own. I’m a 26 year old single woman, 4 months pregnant with twins and have lived here and had him as a neighbour for 4 years..he BANGS, like drops things, jumps and dances and just sprints back and forth for a minute or two randomly either at 5am or 11-12pm in tbe evening right before I put some “sleep“ music on before bed or loud enough so i can hear him over it in the morning.. no way out I’ve tried the agency and I’ve tried the police (for FOUR years) today I’m calling social services, as concerned for his welfare.

• Dickie Rich
    2 years ago

Moved into my new flat in august. 4th floor out of 7. everything was perfect for the first 4-6 weeks, then ol stompers moved in. omg the vibrations it makes i cant cope.

Literally hear every footstep he makes, I know what room he’s in it’s getting unbearable. I get home from work, soon as I open the door I hear the stomping. I try having a bath/shower to relax can still hear him. The layouts are the same and the bedroom is the only rooms with carpet but that makes no difference as the stomping vibrates every ceiling. I can’t cope.

I wrote them a letter being polite and adding I know the flooring doesn’t help but we have a new born could you try and quiet it down a little please the stomps are shaking our whole ceiling. About a week later it stopped, bar the odd one here and there but I can deal with that, was fine for about a month then January came and he’s started again, but when he does stomp it doesnt stop? like 2am hear someone stomping around i get up at 5am for work, i come home still hear them, they never leave the flat.

I’m 30 yr old male and I’m losing it over this lol what’s the next step? I don’t like the thought of knocking the door and being confrontational as I don’t actually know who lives there. It’s got to the point where I don’t even want to go home after work as I know I can’t relax. Ive found an hour video on youtube of baby cries, I might try that.

• Yolanda Neris
    2 years ago

@Dickie Rich - Don't confront them!  I tried this in a condo I owned and lived at for 2 years.  I lived on a 1st floor. 

The noise, stomping, banging, dragging, dog barking was 24/7 because I was lied to by the developer and told that everyone owned in my condo community.

Hence, we moved in and it immediately became our worst nightmare for 2 years!  It turned out that about 1/3 of the units were rented out, and I lucked out with renters above us who did not give a damn!  Don't get me wrong -- nothing against renters because I have rented myself in the past and am renting today; however, they were very, very inconsiderate of anyone around them.

I received no support whatsoever from the Asset Manager or HOA.  What I was told was that they had to live, too!  Forget that I owned and they rented!!!  Forget that my son and I had to get up early every day to go to work!  Forget that I paid $206 monthly to the HOA! 

As my luck would have it, they worked from home and that is why we also never got a break from the noise!  What we started doing was not returning home after work and hoping that when we did, they would be asleep, but that was like asking for a miracle!  We ended up only going home to sleep and bathe.

There were several times where it got really, really bad with noise and I had to approach them.  Of course, as expected, they denied it was them and actually said these words to me:  "The noise you are hearing is coming from the 3rd floor, skipping over us and ending up above your condo on the 1st floor."  Are you kidding me?!  He spoke to me like I was an idiot!

After that, I approached them 2 more times.  The 3rd time really got ugly to where I ended up calling the police on them! 

I am 62 years old.  They were in their mid 30's with a baby and dog and would make fun of us when they would see us in the parking lot.  They were both engineers but behaved like children -- very immature!!!

After the 3rd incident, they made our lives a living hell, and I realized I had to sell my condo and get out of there ASAP because I knew they were not going anywhere and nothing was going to change! 

I went ahead and sold my $250,000 condo for a total loss... but it has been well worth it, since I found out they had another child within months after we moved.  Imagine what it must sound like today up there...?

I know not everyone can afford to take such a drastic measure, but if you can afford to break your lease, do it and rent a single home.  Read the fine print in your lease and try to find a loop hole!  Remember, you are entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of your unit.  

We had to move to an apartment again, but we will hopefully be closing on our "single" home the end of this month ᾑE.  No more condos or apartments for us!  I want full control of where I live from here on in!

Good luck to you and your family and do your research!

It got so bad that I had no choice but to confront them about 3x.  The 3rd time, it got ugly an I ended up calling the police on them

• Shari Sanders
    2 years ago

Yolanda, I think we bought your old unit.. im dealing with exactly what you did. I too was lied to about renters. Dealing with the most inconsiderate renters i have ever had the displeasure of living under. Im trying to hang tough & keep praying for a miracle. For now, it keeps getting worse, increased to 3 dogs, more deliberate stomping attacks & the HOA saying this renter has the right to alienate the homeowners by doing nothing. Kid upstairs put soap in the jacuzzi, just to give you an idea of how uneducated the Mgmt company is. They asked why im reporting it, kid put soap in the jacuzzi, it will be cleaner now. A few months later, homeowners are paying for a new motor in the jacuzzi. Smh

Thank God you were able to sell & move. Happy New Year.

• Yolanda Neris
    2 years ago

@Shari Sanders - Best of luck to you, too!

• E Y
    2 years ago

I moved here from another unit in the same building, as my neighbour there was a loud self-proclaimed “musician”. My landlord offered me my current place after bumping up the rent, and my new upstairs neighbour is another problematic one.

He NEVER goes out. Every beautiful summer day, every holiday, he is home. He wakes up everyday after 12, goes to bed around midnight, so I doubt he’s got a job nor a social life. Mommy and daddy must be funding him. He should go out and see a psychiatrist. It’s constant STOMP STOMP STOMP THUD THUD THUD. At night, his bed makes a loud CLUNK every few minutes that shakes the walls. He can’t even be quiet when he’s sleeping! He sometimes pulls out his hammer at 4AM and starts hammering away. No common sense! I sense his presence every moment here *barf*

I’ve got my own place in a great downtown location, and the rental market is super competitive here. I went through hell to land this place, so I tried to make it work. 2 white noise, music and ear plugs 24/7, soundproof panels, sleeping pills, etc. and he STILL manages to be a nuisance. He knows he’s being disruptive. He doesn’t care.

Just some of the things that made me give up on this place:

• I’ve fainted due to stress and sleep depravity, which has never happened before
    • I sometimes have to sleep in the other room/kitchen (his bedroom is above mine)
    • I run a handmade business from home and it’s impossible to work here
    • I almost turned to substance abuse. I have no history of it btw, it’s out of my character
    • Never ending dread, even when I’m out trying to enjoying life
    • Excess expenses
    • Other issues with the building, lazy money-hungry landlord

I’m paying $1300 for this 180sqft. Nice neighbourhood and all, but my home life is more important! NOT worth it! I finally submitted my 2 months notice. The thought of possibly not finding a decent place TERRIFIES me, but so does the idea of staying here.

I should not have to pay the price over this energy vampire’s issues. You can’t reason with toxic stupid people. I’ll be posting warnings online in hopes to prevent others from moving here.

• Shari Sanders
    2 years ago

Hi EY,

i share in your pain. Its really sad that so many of us have to endure inconsiderate neighbors. And even worse management companies. i have to believe that at some point karma will kick in. I hope for a major blessing to happen for you

• Athena P
    2 years ago

That sounds absolutely awful, E Y! :(

Management should really take time to properly vet people before handing the keys over. Ugh.

I had a loud inconsiderate stomper living next door but she moved out two weeks ago. Living by her was absolutely awful. She purposely left stuff so she could make as much noise as possible when she came back to get it and then the weirdo underneath me chased her across the parking lot, moaning. It was dramatic. I'm working on finding a house in hopes that things will be less dramatic.

• E Y
    2 years ago

@Shari Sanders, absolutely! Most of us are hard working people, who’re just trying to live a peaceful life. This drama is so unnecessary.

Since my last post, my neighbour continues his disturbed reclusive life and even started doing DIY renovations, hammering away all day. I complained to the landlord and surprisingly the hammering stopped. Not the other noises though.

The good thing is, I found a new place! I’ll be out of here within 2 weeks. I’m at so much more peace now that I’ll be out…permanently! I hope the next tenant is crazy as him and will give him a taste of his own medicine lol

• E Y
    2 years ago

@Athena P

My friends have suggested that this guy may be related to the landlord. That’s why his behaviour and lifestyle’s all excused.

Sorry for your experience, it sounds just as bad! Some people are born to annoy. Definitely look for a new place if it means more peace, even if it’s risky. Staying in a toxic environment is already a risk. Such neighbours and landlords aren’t worth your time and money. I was preparing to live with roommates or parents again, but managed to find a better place. Can’t wait to move!

• Shari Sanders
    2 years ago

Ey,

Yay! you found a place to move to. im so happy for you. if i was renting, I would have been long gone. i bet you cant wait to move & I wish you the ultimate best in your new home.

• SS T
    2 years ago

Move into a single family house as soon as you can.... Good luck (apartment living is a crap shoot as you pointed out. The fact you enjoyed a unit for several years is great. But you can't expect it to last...)

• No Name
    2 years ago

the neighbours upstairs i think goes out at night gets bacj at 9:30 pm or so and stays on the main floor till morning. but it sounds as of he iss stomping when he walks. at 12 am, 4 am. its so hard to sleep. cause as soon as im about to drift off there he goes stomping around . why cant he sit down and chill or better yet go to bed upstairs so i cant hear him?

• SS T
    2 years ago

No Name... because he/she is on drugs, or liquor. no one stays up all night unless there is a chemical assist. Or, unless they are addicted to video games or just being online all night, but in those rarer cases the person is usually SITTING down at the computer screen and not stomping. In your case I'd bet the tenant is a drug user (or PERHAPS has a medical issue that forces him to stomp and go to the bathroom every hour or so). Either way, it's not a winnable situation. We all need our peace and quiet, so keep working and try to buy your own place (then you can have problems with your next door neighbors!!)..

• E Y
    2 years ago

@Shari Sanders Thanks Shari! I avoided the place like it was a disease until the very end, as it was non-stop hammering and stomping every day. I'll still be agitated from noise for the next while due to PTSD. Slamming the door and blasting death metal has worked best quieting him down.

• rorschached99
    2 years ago

UPDATE: SIX MONTHS LATER

I bought the ceiling 'Fight Back' for $156.CAD and it was the best investment I've EVER made. I'm telling you, it works. Most of us live with what's called, 'un-vaulted ceilings' which provide next to zero sound insulation. My province, Alberta, has upgraded building codes that demand new builds be constructed with vaulted ceilings in 2019. My building was built in 2018... no vault, which means I hear EVERY footstep, stomp, dropping of bowling balls and bass stereo thumps. I took a chance and bought the 'Fight Back' for $156.CAD. I provided pictures in earlier posts if you want to see it in my condo. I was given a remote with the 'Fight Back'. (PS: If you do order the 'Fight Back', be sure to indicate on the order form that you want the ENGLISH template paper for your remote. I forgot to do this and had to e-mail the company for the template paper. It took one day for them to send the template over e-mail but it's just easier if you get it inside the package, as it arrives) When they're being pricks or smoking cigarettes or pot (I have COPD), I just press a button and let the machine create ugly noise through my ceiling to their living room floor. They quickly get the hint... not at first, they're confused when they first hear it, they think it's some sort of building mechanical error initially but eventually, when MY noise AND vibration comes at the same time THEIR noise (or smoke)... they figure it out pretty quick. It may seem to be a petty reaction to some, but if you've lived in a non-vaulted suite with inconsiderate tenants above, you know exactly where I'm coming from. Don't be a lamb. Fight back.

PS: I have ZERO affiliation with the company that sell the Fight Back gizmos.

Peace be with you.

💖🙏🍁

CL

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

• HU-452606314
    last year

Good to know I'm not the only one going through this mess. I live downstairs and these neighbors has 4 little dogs running around barking all the times. These 2 neighbors just constantly walks around none stop for hours even til 5am. I'm assuming they don't work because it's everyday thing and they sleep all day and wake up around evening and starts to walk none stop and drops stuff. One of them came to my door and knocked and told me to stop hitting the wall because I'm scaring their dogs and I'm giving him anxiety 🤣 like seriously?! They don't have any respect. And told me that I need to understand that the floors are thin and blah blah so I'm not allowed to hit the wall but they can disturb me?. They are ignorant. I work everyday. They don't. We are moving out soon in the summer and buying a house.

• Jess Reible
    last year

Ugh!!! So happy to hear I'm not the only one going through this!! I googled it after dealing with my upstairs neighbor for 2 months straight in my nicely built apartments. Rent here expensive & I expected more from management. I have been living here for 14 months & this is the 3rd resident to live above me. I never had an issue with the prior residents for 14 months. Never complained to management ever. Now, since these people have moved in, I have contacted the property manager & I can hardly believe their response?! Asked me if I would consider moving to a floor on the highest level so nobody was walking above me. I happen to live on the 1st floor because I'm disabled & moving is not an option.

I've tried beating on the ceiling with a broom handle, it doesn't seem to do any good. Plus it angers me that I have to stoop to that level to try to get some peace. I think I'm going to tell management that I will be handling it through the police.

I don't understand how management doesn't seem to understand that it wasn't an issue for 14 months & now I can hear every footstep... obviously it is the person currently living there.

• Toni Medina
    last year

I'm in the same boat ur in my kids and in I recently moved to an apartment complex 6 months ago and there are 5 guys maybe more living in the 2 bedroom apartment above us 4 out of the 5 are heavy footers they stomp when they walk to point where my ceiling fans shakes really bad and my picture shake on the wall to point that their about to fall off the walls and then we have to put up with pot heads stinch coming in thru our vents the smell stinks up our whole apartment till the point where we can't even breathe or use our half bathroom we have to use the master bath it clearly states in the lease no smoking whatsoever in the apartments but the tenants do it anyway complain to management about the heavy footers above us and the potheads but nothing has been done I was told by the office manager that there is nothing she can do about the heavy footers we haven't gotten a chance to enjoy our apartment because of the issues we are having to put up with which really sucks I can't wait to move out of this apartment be nice to get some peace and quiet for a change and not sufficate

• Jess Reible
    last year

I'm not sure where you live or if pot is legal there? You could call the police. Also, not sure if you have read some of the other posts? There is a device you can purchase that apparently puts the power back in your hands as it drives the upstairs neighbor crazy. I feel your pain!! It is beyond annoying. I've been dealing with hearing every foot step for over 3 months from 7 am- midnight... yesterday, I decided to bang a mop handle on the ceiling for about 5 min. Today I received a email from management with a complaint from the upstairs neighbor that I was banging on the ceiling!!! Can you believe the audacity?! 5 min. compared to over 3 month of being woke up multiple times (up to 5 times) per night!! I'm so over it!!! Good luck to you!

• SS T
    last year

Yea, unfortunately, we reach a point in our lives where upstairs neighbors noise and footsteps are simply not tolerable... Some people are more tolerant than others but as we age UT has been proven that we get LESS tolerant of other people (which is one reason why peoples social circles naturally dwindle regardless if you have a family or not). Honestly, you can't change this. The best you can do is move out to a top floor while you save for a single family house on its own lot. I'm past middle age and I'm just getting to the point of home ownership. It has not been easy in the apartments, but it is almost over!!!! Fingers crossed 🤞

• Athena P
    last year

The past two years have definitely made me way less tolerant of others and their nonsense. I can't wait to move into a house and not be basically living in other people's laps. Ugh.

• Shari Sanders
    last year

prayers up that you will be able to find the most perfect house

• Stephanie Donnelly
    last year

I am currently dealing with this at present too. He's just moved in above me and has people in decorating just now too which is contributing to the severe stomping around. I think he's also had carpets installed but with no underlay at all, so I here every single footstep... my 5 year old daughter is pointing it out just now too. She suffers with sensory issues and the heavy walking/stomping around is really getting to us. I only moved in a year ago so there absolutely no way that my housing association will move me any time soon. I'm dreading the next few years of this torment . I'm barely coping just a few weeks in. Literally on the verge of tears with it 😫. So stressful. Unless you've dealt with this kind of thing, then you won't understand how disruptive and invasive it actually feels.

• Angel Kennedy
    last year

I live in a area that is suppose to be "upscale" no way the people here are down scale I pay $2000 for a 1 bedroom...I have been suffering since I moved here 16 months ago. I tried to move but they have you give a 60 day notice so nobody wanted to rent to me because of that ...I even ask them to find me another apartment never been late on my rent ever. I suffer with complex PTSD. I was a police for 30 years retired now and I had a injury upon moving here was on crutches so the 1st floor was the only option. The first neighbors were bad but the ones that came after been here since May and they are horrible! I

I have not been sleeping well just when I nod off at 3 am boom seems like a large boulder hits the floor and I can't get back to sleep because it is nerve wrecking after all I am 61 soon to be 62 God's willing...The thing is I am now having a nervous stomach had an ulcer too..I don't know what to do because the managers say they have to hear it...They are smart and know when someone is in my place to drown out the noise I have to play different music all day long....I have been trying to find a place as the manager keeps telling me I can leave if I want these people have only been here now 4 months they and I did call the police they don't care about anything at all!!! They say I watch them constantly all day...I assure you that is incorrect as I go to all kinds of activities just to get away from this place.. I feel helpless!!!

• SS T
    last year
    last modified: last year

You're not helpless. You simply need to move. And be careful where you move to, that's all. And that's all you can do. I have learned that apartment living can be rough; it also can be very good, depending. If it's an older building, you better only take the top floor--very very simple rule of thumb. If you don't, you eventually will suffer. It's just that simple. People are people and they make noise. I lived in my apartment for 14 years. And 9 of them were just about perfect. It wasn't until tenants began to move out and switch that things became an issue. With a lower-level apartment (street level or 2nd floor out of 3), if you're lucky, you will enjoy one term/lease/year of peace. After that, all bets are off (unless the neighbors are 'long-term').

• Angel Kennedy
    last year

Thanks, you make it sound easy there are not a lot of nice places here...Also, the rents ate astronomically high as well there are a lot of problms with the properties...I am trusting God...blessings!

• Gerald Mobley
    last year

Easy put thumbtacks outside their door so when they walk out boom pain. Get up at 5 am and bang all around.. me I put my stero on blast and play reveille to wake their asses up since they want to stomp all night. Needless to say they moved out!

• Considerate_1
    last year

It’s been a while for me… same thoughtless, disruptive person living above me, and if I could have moved, I would have. It’s been a difficult time to do so, and a housing-crisis here. It’s awful to hear of the horrific stories by those suffering, which should not happen to anyone. My experience is not the worst, yet being stomping, thumping Bass, TV / Subwoofer, slamming of windows, etc., on a regular basis - my enjoyment, sleep, schedule altered due to his late-night hours, and just as bad on his days off.

As others say, it feels that one cannot get help from those in-charge. Though I have made many attempts to have this properly addressed and resolved, it never is. Back in December 2021, after my having called the police to visit and after they had left, the upstairs lunatic went into a rage - slamming door, banging, stomping, hitting walls, turned music up louder - for 40 minutes.

I was able to record on my iPad, it being loud enough. Later, having the manager hear my recordings, she suggested emailing them to the Management Co. Supervisor, so I thought, “finally!” After doing so, I did not hear back - finding out later that she “just wants the manager to catch him”. 😒 Great. Mind you, what was recorded has him sounding INSANE, so you would think it would have impact. (I don’t think she listened to it, just pushed aside, or questioned authenticity). Others heard it, yet did not make a difference. Hopeless.

Well, her witnessing in my unit never occurs, since mostly being after hours, when the manager does not want to be bothered. So, it continues. If calling police at that hour, and waiting, the noise may stop beforehand, having called them back to cancel. (ALL of this is so draining, and having no impact, anyway).

Earlier on at times when the manager has tried speaking with the tenant if seeing him outdoors in the daytime, he just says he’s busy, running ahead. Once, while returning up his stairs, I heard her try to speak with him, which was futile. He said he ”didn’t care about…”(what I requested), that he “was just living his life” and for her to “stop bothering him”. She was shaken by this, telling me how he “scares her” (and it’s apparent that he regularly drinks). But despite this, nothing is ever accomplished. There is no real action, she is somewhat passive, when she could have warned him long ago and given him a notice. If she ever said anything, it was mildly asking to keep it down, which never lasted. (I mentioned how she once got him to stop playing loud music / TV volume, which of course did not last. What is crazy-making besides the excessive, ongoing disruption, is others not knowing how it is, or thinking we are overreacting, or their making useless suggestions.

So, as mentioned, nothing seems to matter to those having any power, since they are not suffering and are getting paid $$. 😏 The other frustration being that the suffering tenant will be treated poorly, while the disrespectful tenant continues doing what they want. As with others here, this has affected me physically and emotionally over a long period, to the point at times of not wanting to live. (If I were financially well-off, I could have escaped).

• Angel Kennedy
    last year

I have not moved because this made me sick...I developed a ulcer ...Also, I was a police for 30 years now retired and have issues with a lot of noise now... I have been in and out of the doctor's office just had a endoscopy as well. I listen to my tv with earplugs...The management can't catch them as when they come up to listen the people see them coming...These people can see the entire complex from their apartment...They allegedly stated they can't do anything unless management actually hears the noise....I cry at night and pray just tired of them they do this late evening and/or at night...I feel there is something illegal going on because neither of them work....I am being seen right now as a delusional old meddlesome woman...They told management that I watch them never do I...Thanks for listening people ...🙏🏽

• HU-51919884
    last year

I feel all of you. I have been reading all kinds of bad neighbor experiences online just so I do not feel alone in mine.

I have lived in my apartment for 16 years and live on the first floor with two floors above me. When I first moved in all that time ago, it was so nice and quiet. Then 3 months later, all of a sudden the 2nd floor neighbors started hammering and moving furniture around starting at midnight. I told my family and friends about it and we started making jokes that they were tearing out walls and burying bodies in them. They also started slamming their sliding glass door over and over. I reported it to Management (who I got along with) and they sent them notice to quiet down. I really thought they would figure it was me who said something and ramp up their noise to get revenge, but they didn't. They actually quieted down to how they used to be when I had first moved in.

There have been other tenants up there since that have all been pretty reasonable, but then two months after I renewed my lease this year, the worst neighbors I have ever had move in. Constant banging, stomping, pounding the walls, dropping things to the floor/my ceiling. I couldn't get any sleep without them jarring me awake. I work at home and hear them all day. They have no life. When they do leave, if ever, it is absolute silence like before, but then they get home all hell breaks loose. I told management about it (new management company, but the manager is very nice), and he gave them notice to quiet down. Well, it has become a bit quieter at night, but during the day, they really ramp it up. They are definitely going out of their way to be extra loud and rude outside of quiet hours (10pm to 8am). The manager had told me to contact Security when they act up at night, but when the jerks do act up, they now do it intermittently. I am hoping that if I do contact Security that they hear them and can document it. They drive me up the walls. I used to love being at home and now I hate it. It is sad how such inconsiderate punks can ruin things for others.

• Mariah Moreno
    last year

Okay so I have left a comment about my situation already, but the neighbors above me are mad at the fact we play music during the day they don't like it they stomp really hard on the floor or throw things, they called the cops on us earlier this afternoon cus we had music on. Which I find it very funny how the cops come "during the day" to tell us something but when we've called late at night because of the neighbors being loud at "night" they don't come . I don't find that fair at all ! Can anyone tell me is it right that we shouldn't have to pay rent due to the fact we get no peace & quiet ?

• Bolly
    last year

I had to google how to respond  to noisy  neighbors  because  I was at my wits end. I moved  from.the room on the main floor  in a house to the basement  for my privacy in 3 years ago. The new house mate that rented  the room was quite nice when I complained and  was considerate as he walked and does  his stuff. However  since he left early  last year its  been  hell with the  girl  that moved in. She's  stomps  heavily, slams the  door, drags furniture and  intentionally  drops  heavy items.She wakes me up when she gets down up to use the  washroom at nights. I tried  to be reasonable  and informed  the landlord to put in a carpet.  She refused  using a brand new carpet with the excuse  that it gave her headache! She became  louder anytime  I complained to her or the landlord in retaliation.  I thought  he would  make her see  reason but later backed out ..It's really frustrating  and unhealthy  living  in  such  a situation. I'm  surprised some people are  experiencing  similar  issues  like this OMG!!

This too shall pass!

• HU-359934539
    last year

Just wanted to add something that although some neighbors are jerks - some places are just really poorly constructed. I'm currently in one of those places but not the worst I have ever lived. Luckily I'm on the top floor and the apartment below me just got done being renovated. But I knew when it was being shown recently because I could hear the apartment manager's voice! I walk pretty quietly, but my partner is a much heavier walker despite me weighing much more than her. That's just how she walks.

However, at my last place I was on the bottom floor and really at my wit's end.

LIght fixtures would shake as would doors. There was a bigger guy above me but he was pretty understanding when I finally confronted him. I thought he was loud but turns out the building was just awful awful quality. I went up to talk to him one day because I could even hear the lyrics to his music and I was trying to study. I knocked, expecting to see some huge stereo system. He was just listening to his music on his laptop speakers - and not even loud. He had no idea.

Now this could backfire and some people truly are maniacs and ramp things up after they are confronted. But he was cool about it. It took FOREVER for me to confront him though so I know what y'all are going through being woken up by footsteps that might as well be booms. I still knew what room he was always in. But the conversation helped and we became decent acquaintences. I knew when he had a date over, not because they were even loud. Just because I could hear their conversations. I would just be like, "Have a date last night?" And we would just sort of laugh.

• Shari Sanders
    last year

Its so much nicer when you can develop a neighborly co-existance, it helps dealing with the noise. I tried a few times but above me refuses to accept the olive branch. we got close, she took the olive branch, started whipping me with it. i took it back, closed the gate. (she came downstairs after i delivered her xmas cookies i made, she started talking negatively, trying to start a fight. I said ”Nope” & closed the gate, went back inside. )

• User000
    9 months ago

After reading everything in this thread, I suddenly don't care about my stompy upstairs neighbor. At first I thought it was a couple, until I happened to notice the timing between the stomps, a loud crackly door (from weather strips I think), and loud talking coming down the stairs near me. The person looks like they just don't think about how their walking might affect the person downstairs.

The guy who lived in my apartment before me wrongfully complained about someone else. I don't think it's him. I've met him, and he's a nice guy who literally asked if he was too loud. Given he leaves in the morning and returns in the evening, it doesn't match up.

The person who IS loud: they sound like they fall off furniture instead of lift themselves off, because there's a clobbering thud every time. When they walk, the floorboards creek, as if the center receives too much stress, so both ends creak at the same time. I hear every drawer they open and close.

While it's easy to blame the person who stomps so loud, I think it's 50/50, with the complex just being built via cutting corners. It's an 80s building. The current owner spends as little as possible to fix things up, yet for my area this is actually a nicer, gated complex. Sound travels really weird in this place too. I can hear the walls and floors conduct sound in a way that lets me hear music or a TV from people who aren't near me.

The only thing I can think of doing is trying to attach soundproofing panels to the ceiling, but with popcorn ceilings, no idea how that would work. I just don't do earplugs because I like being aware of my surroundings. I kinda have a rule of not talking to anyone, either in a suburb or complex. I've only lived in 3 areas where I'd felt safe enough to get to know my neighbors, but those were rare places. I hope to find something like that in the near future.

• Tish James
    3 months ago

Hi Janet Sobol ! Thank you for posting this . I have lived in a similar situation for years . I find myself using descriptions about my daily life just like you - it's relentless.... exhausting. I'm constantly exhausted .... and so on

Even now I am too fatigued to write much

Neighbours here decide to exercise literally any time of day or night... rebounder, jumping jacks .., resistance bands attached to door frames......hire a treadmill for months on end ... interactive fitness video games..... Amp and stereo to accompany what seems like ceaseless activities

That's

All that on top of everyday essentials - extractor fans, washers and dryers etc

The impact noise can be awful. They keep that to a minimum though because it's more obvious to other neighbours too

It's the continual shudders and low-rumble vibrations are the worst. Feel them along my spine ,...legs ..... So much worse when lying down . So sleep- well it's been years since I've had the benefit of any kind of regular ,healing sleep Try to get snatches as I can ..often that comes down to involuntary falling into exhausted slumbers while sitting upright - often those periods of rest have to suffice

A few times I've tried to discuss their activities the response has been sneering . ""What you talking about ..must be a ghost """ the man laughs

As with their activities, those are pernicious people. Whatever they can get away with to serve their own purposes is fine with them - no care about damage they cause to others

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences

Hopefully we can find ourselves in better home situations soon

Take care

That's

• Considerate_1
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I have returned to say how, those suffering with other's inconsideration is not only unbearable, but then, getting no support or resolve from those in charge of a building who could do something, but do not. It is HELL. I would like to see those in charge have to spend ONE night listening to endless disruption (besides the reverberating sounds from stomping), being unable to get away from, to see how they would survive.

I recall early on with this current ass and trying to discuss the hard-walking with management...being told "We can't do anything about walking". 😒 Sure, THEY are not having their lives altered this way, so they can just assume that one complaining is overreacting and the claim is overlooked. Dear God, there is such a difference in having to hear this, when NORMAL walking is not heard. Believe me, having had other tenants above in that unit, I can tell you it is not due to construction in this instance. Some walk forcefully on their HEELS, creating thudding reverberation.

Those not having to experience this should have to find out for themselves. (Once, my manager having worked in a downstairs unit, told me how the tenant living above THAT unit "walked REALLY HARD". I said, "Now you know what I have been going through".., (yet nothing is done... not being witnessed as it should). 😟

Also, I have imagined there being a way for one's walk to be tested (unbeknownst to them), prior to allowing an applicant to live above another... though I realize being unrealistically possible. There is so much else, besides. The manager here asking a prospective tenant if they "are quiet" is pretty laughable. 😏 From what I have read online, some managers and owners do not allow disruptive behavior. Why can't this be standard?

Anyway, I have lived in older buildings all my adult life, some built in the '50's, '60's, this one built in 1977. Having lived on the first floor, I never had experienced such inconsideration from tenants until my later years, coming down to a few uncaring, thoughtless individuals. I have heard that buildings built in later years can be worse than older-constructed buildings, such as some newer high-rises with wooden flooring, constructed quickly.

Also, it being about the disrespectful personality involved, yet if one has enough income, etc., they are allowed in. 🫤 I feel this situation needs to be fully considered and addressed more appropriately so that considerate renters can stop suffering, (yet with all the housing issues, it seems attention is not going to be given to this this....again, about $ taking precedence). ((sigh))

• Athena P
    2 months ago

I agree! They (management) don't have to deal with stomping so naturally, they don't care. The "I don't care, it doesn't affect me" mentality is everywhere these days. Ugh. The crazy woman below me had the audacity to call the cops on me back in October one night when I was going to Walmart. (I'm assuming she was hoping I'd get arrested or something.) She made up a story about me being "with a guy on a bike", and they stopped me at a nearby CVS and harassed me for 20 minutes, simply because I was wearing an orange sweatshirt and "We don't see many people wearing orange sweatshirts". There was no guy on a bike anywhere near me, of course. All I'd been trying to do was go to the store and get food. Two weeks later she told the office I was "stomping and walking excessively" and I got a nasty note. I was not, I was tired that night and just chilled until bedtime. Ugh. I'm still trying to move-it's the only way to get away from her. Management has done nothing and she's bullied and harassed me for 8 years. I've been here 8 years and she hasn't left me alone once. I thought that she'd stop if I simply ignored her like most people do, but clearly not. Most stop when they don't get a response and move on to another person.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio