Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucky_12

Laundry Room Courtesy

lucky_12
16 years ago

You go to use the laundry room washers and dryers and another tenantÂs clothes are in the machines that have stopped. What do you normally do?

Comments (7)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

In a big building? Or at a launderette?

I wait 10 to 15 minutes, and then I take their clothes out of the machine and put mine in.

If it's wet clothes, I make sure to find something to set them on or in that is clean. I will wash off the top of the washer, or maybe even put their clothes in my clothesbasket.

If it's a dryer I'm emptying, I do the "clean surface" thing, but I have also been known to fold their laundry so it won't wrinkle. And since I'm standing there, it keeps me from being bored.

I'm in an owner-occupied co-op now, and it's a small bldg, so it's not too hard to know who it is. If I were in a small rental, it would also be easy to figure out whose stuff it is. I will go call them or knock on their door. or I'll give them 20 to 30 minutes, if I have the time to spare.

• over_n_under
    16 years ago

Take the clothes out of the dryer.

Fold them neatly.

Place the underwear on top for all to see.

• camlan
    16 years ago

Talley Sue is nicer than I am. I wait 5 minutes, mostly because there is nothing to do while waiting in a laundry room and also because the laundry room is in the basement and is really creepy.

I also put the clothes in a clean place or in the other person's laundry basket if it's there.

I don't take clothes out of the dryer before it stops, the way someone else in my old apartment building used to do. (The dryer took 45 minutes. I would go back to my apartment and set the timer for 40 minutes. I always got back to the laundry room before the dryer shut off. So when my clothes were in a damp, soggy heap on top of the dryer, it was not because I was late getting my stuff out of the dryer.)

• eric_92037
    16 years ago

I come back later when the machines are empty. There is no way IÂm touching someone elseÂs underwear clean or not.

• airforceguy
    16 years ago

If the clothes in the dryer were dry, I would neatly fold them!!

• blindthesky
    16 years ago

i wait a few minutes and then take their things out.

the thing that bothers me most though, is when one person uses all the washers. I live in a 70 unit building, with only 3 washers and 3 dryers. Not enough. It drives me NUTS when someone uses all the washers at one time.

• manhattanmatt
    16 years ago

I live in a 60-unit co-op building in Manhattan. Our laundry room has only 4 washers and 4 dryers. I take their stuff out and put it on the table. I always have cleaner and paper towel in my laundry supply bag to wipe down the table, so it's going onto a clean surface. I don't wait. I'm a New Yorker. And yes, I use all 4 washers at the same time. It's insane not to; I'm supposed to leave two or three sitting empty, doubling or tripling my laundry time, in case someone HAPPENS to come in and use the washers? I don't think so.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor