Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Refund

Posted by Morvo (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 2:26

So I was gone for about a week during the holidays and when I came back the apartment was frozen. I had set the temp to 68 degrees but it felt like no heat had been used since I left, can I get a refund on my next bill due to my landlord not giving me a properly maintained heater. (I also had him look at the heater earlier in the winter season due to the same issue, which worked until I left)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Refund

Did you suffer in any way because there was no heat? Was there any damage to your property?
I'm not exactly sure why you think you should be entitled to a refund. For what?

o

The law typically sets some minimum standards for habitability for rental properties along with specific steps that need to be taken if those standards aren't met. You should use your favorite search engine to research landlord/tenant relations in your state. If necessary, consult with an attorney who specializes in landlord/tenant relations.

In your case, given you weren't home and inconvenienced by the heat failure, you probably aren't entitled to any kind of compensation.

o

All I would like to suggest to talk with owner. If you guys settled with some solution then it will be great, else file a petition. I am sure they will be charging you for the heater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here