Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you feel like you are just your landlord's lowly cash cow?

Posted by nctrnl (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 2:14

It seems there are many smalltime landlords who just want to be there to collect the rent. They don't want fix things, hear or deal with ANY complaints about other tenants or resolve any problems at all.
Do you ever feel that just because you rent a cheap apartment you are supposed to just shut up & take what is given to you by the landlord?
That because of your particularly precarious situation in life the landlord knows he has leverage over you?

A lot of times just moving to another place is not even an option... be it because of the scarcity of cheap apartments in the area,one's precarious financial situation or any of a number of other problems.

The post that mentioned the lady that got evicted because she complained about her extremely noisy neighbors got me thinking about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you feel like you are just your landlord's lowly cash cow?

There are all kinds of people who are landlords, and some of them are jerks. I have friends who manage an apartment building, and I do hear the other side of this equation, too, though.

I don't believe most landlords have an objective of victimizing tenants, but they are in it for the money and trying to do what they can to maximaize their return on investment. Sometimes it leads to unfortunate results, but I don't think that jerking people around is a primary motivation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here