Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where's the freezer control ? ...

Posted by vieja (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 23:48

Is it just me & mine... or do refr./ freezers have the temp. control knob for the refrigerator section conveniently right in front inside but the freezer control control is WAY in back.... behind the frozen food!! What is the reason for this?

We have a second refr./freezer unit in a stand-alone garage & I wonder if it may be too airtight & might be hard on the refr./freezer? Maybe have some ventilation to run properly as it seems the units we have had in the garage don't work much beyond 9-10 yrs. They have the grills on the bottoms & not on the units backs.

Our Sear's appliances (refr./freezers seem to last longer than the Frigidare we have now but don't know who makes them for Sear's now either?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where's the freezer control ? ...

Location of controls depends on the specific brand and model of unit.

My GE Arctica (side-by-side, 9 years old) has the freezer and refrigerator controls together on a panel mounted at top edge of the refrigerator section, visible/accessible when the door is open. There are no controls in the freezer compartment.

Not uncommon nowadays that upper-end units have the control panel on outside of the door, often as part of the ice/water dispenser.

Lower-end top-freezer units may have a thermostat in the refrigerator section, and an air diverter control in the freezer section which varies how much of the circulating freezer air is sent into the refrigerator section. This is apparently what is on your unit. The air control is at the rear wall of the freezer because it's a mechanical control that directly operates the air diverter at the fan.

The first three digits of Kenmore model numbers (before the period) indicates the manufacturing source. Translation of the coding can be found at various online sites. Here's one: Who Makes Sears Kenmore?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here