Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard water and dishwashers

Posted by lilyarose (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 23:42

Has anyone heard whether the dishwashers with cleanable filters, (such as the Bosch and most Kenmores and Whirlpools)get clogged up by hard water over time?

I'm talking about as opposed to the macerators or the hard food disposers that are starting to go out of style.

And I know that basically most parts of a dishwasher can become plugged from hard water, but are the filtered types more vulnerable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard water and dishwashers

We recently got a new Bosch 800 Series DW. A water quality test strip comes with it, and there is a receptacle in which you can put the correct amount of special water softening salt. The test strip helps indicate how much of the salt to program the DW to dispense during a wash cycle, and is entirely different from the Jet Dry rinse aid.

Have you ever run the LemiShine thru your current DW, on a full cycle and empty of dishes? LemiShine is pure citric acid and does a good job of dissolving hard water deposits. I learned about it here at GardenWeb and now use it to clean up the water dispenser area on our refrigerator, and the water faucet spouts in our bathrooms.

o
RE: Hard water and dishwashers

Dishwashers with macerators typically also have filter screens, so they're pretty much all vulnerable to mineral deposits to the same degree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here