Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's talk French plaque, please....

Posted by twobelles (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 23:38

For those of you who have or have cooked on a French plaque, can you please share with me the various ways it can be used? I know that it can be used for cream sauces and melting chocolates, but can anyone offer more information about how to use it daily? I am considering a range with this option and I'm wondering whether it would be a good choice. I currently have a pro style range with a griddle that I use frequently and I'm wondering if I could use the plaque instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's talk French plaque, please....

First off, you can't cook on the French top like a griddle. It's for pots and pans only. To be fair, I guess you could cook on it but I have no idea how that might work. Definitely nothing liquid like scrambled eggs as there are holes and seams in the top.

What I use it for is to get multiple sauces ready and keep them warm without taking up a burner. You can use the middle to cook or sear normally and them move pans to the edge to keep them warm. You can also remove the center plate and place a wok in it to stir-fry.

It looks pretty cool and is useful if you have a lot of pans going at once that you need to watch without risking burning. That does not happen that often for me so if I had to do it over I would probably get a griddle instead. You can use the griddle in the same way as the French top and you can still cook directly on it too.

My understanding is that most pro chefs don't use the top as designed now but just keep sauces in thermos bottles once they are ready which saves space on the range and opens up burner space for other things. YMMV on all of this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here