Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juno_barks

wall oven - best bang for ~ 3K.

juno_barks
10 years ago

I have ~ 3K to spend on my wall oven, 30 inch, stainless steel.
I think I have enough space for a double.

I've been leaning toward the Electrolux Wave double oven, with the known caveat that self-clean cycles kill. I'm also considering the Bosch, though have not done much research on their models yet.

I bake bread, and would love a "proof" setting, and I think I want true convection. Quiet, quick to reach temperature, and a clean look are also a plus.

many thanks...

Comments (29)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

How about a floor model Themador Masterpiece Series 30 inch Double Wall Oven?

$2899 with free shipping?

Innovation
    NEW SoftClose door ensures ultra smooth closing of the oven door.
    Massive Capacity - Largest oven cavity at 4.7 cu. ft. (overall AHAM).
    Fastest preheat in the luxury segment (around 7 minutes).
    Superfast 2-hour self clean mode - fastest on the market.

Performance
    True Convection offers precise airflow for cooking on multiple levels without flavor transfer (upper oven only, lower oven features convection only).
    1 Full Access telescopic rack holds up to 45 pounds, integrated easy-grip handle.
    No preheat needed - Industry leading Speed Convection system reduces cooking time by 30%.
    CookControl temperature probe.
    EasyCook offers 20 pre-programmed recipes.
    Powerful halogen lighting illuminates the oven cavity.
    10-pass recessed broil element with 3,500 Watt.
    13 advanced cooking modes.
    Advanced culinary modes - Warm, Proof and Dehydrate.
    Fast Preheat available for 5 cooking modes.
    Large oven door window for maximum viewing.
    Timer offers automatic delay start mode.
    Hidden bake element for easy cleaning.
    Digital indicator shows progress of preheat cycle.
    Six adjustable rack levels for multiple item cooking.
    NEW Star-K certified.

Here is a link that might be useful: Llink to Ovens

• wekick
    10 years ago

Another one to consider might be the Kenmore Elite with dual convection fans which looks good on paper too. It s made by Electrolux but has no blue enamel. It would be good to hear from any forum members who own the Thermador or Kenmore ovens. You might search Bosch here because I know there have been owners who have posted and liked them. Thermador might have some postings too. Ovens can be a bit of a puzzel box, especially when you have a lot of electronics and "modes". Some execute and some don't.

The "no preheat" on the Thermador has a few caveats in the users manual. Most ovens will not need a preheat in these circumstnaces unless they have an unusually long preheat. When baking you would still need to let the oven even out over about 30 minutes to get the best results.
    "Preheat the oven when using the Bake, Convection
    Bake, True Convection, Pizza, Broil, Convection Broil,
    and Warm modes.
    Preheat is not used for Speed Convection, Roast,
    Convection Roast, Proof, and Dehydrate modes.

Preheat Reminders
    Preheating is not necessary for meats, poultry,
    casseroles and Speed Convection.

Preheat time will be longer when the electrical supply
    to your house is less than 240 volts.

Increasing the oven temperature will require a longer
    preheat time. For example, the preheat time for 425ð F
    is longer than the preheat time for 350ð F."

Fastest preheat in the luxury segment (around 7 minutes).
    The manual reads:
    "Your oven has one of the fastest preheat times in the
    market"
    My Electrolux also preheats to 350 in 7 minutes without the past preheat button. I haven't timed it carefully using it. There do not seem to be recent issues on the electronics with newer ovens. I would buy the extended warranty for the longest term possible to cover any problems.

Read through the user manual on any ovens you are considering.

This post was edited by wekick on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 22:12

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I've loved my Elux Wavetouch double wall oven for over two years now. I have used self clean several times with no ill effects. Love all the settings, like Bread Proofing, Keep Warm, and Perfect Turkey. This Thanksgiving, I was upstairs getting dressed when the turkey finished cooking. Came down to find the oven had switched to Keep Warm (what always happens if you use the probe and set a target temp). It was great. Turkey was perfect. I did get an extended warranty, just in case.

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

I have an Electrolux Icon. It isn't a double oven, however I LOVE it's smooth gliding racks -- nicer feeling than any others I found.

I have had no problems with the oven after using the self clean feature.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I have an Electrolux Icon. It isn't a double oven, however I LOVE it's smooth gliding racks -- nicer feeling than any others I found.

I coveted the Electrolux smooth gliding racks, but alas, it was not to be (we couldn't fit the oven in our available space). Other than the enamel chipping issue (which I've read has been resolved?), everything I've read about these ovens (I was looking at Wavetouch, not Icon) has been positive.

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are great comments, keep 'em coming! I initially liked the whirlpool, but all the comments about loud fans ruled that one out.

I can afford either Electrolux model (wave or icon), or the Bosch (300 or 500), in single or double ovens. I have downloaded the manuals, though not read them carefully.

I am a short person (5'3"), do any of you with double ovens feel that they are too high to use safely?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

The WaveTouch 30" double is $3000 on AJ Madison, and I bet you can get it less expensively. Isn't that your price point (per initial post)?

Do you really need double ovens? I've gotten along fine without double ovens forever (I don't cook enough for enough people to justify them, and when I do need an "extra", I'm going to use a countertop Breville or Cuisinart).

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I am a short person (5'3"), do any of you with double ovens feel that they are too high to use safely?

You install them in a custom cabinet. You can put them at a height optimized for you . As always with a double instead of two singles, you do have to install the ovens where one is a little high and one is a little low.

Do you really need double ovens? I've gotten along fine without double ovens forever (I don't cook enough for enough people to justify them, and when I do need an "extra", I'm going to use a countertop Breville or Cuisinart).

Virtually, no one needs double ovens. They are wants.

I got along for 4 years in college with a microwave and hot plate.

In Eastern Europe, a 24" cooktop, a microwave, and large toaster oven with no other cooking appliances is common.

I hate countertop toaster ovens. They don't bake evenly, they dehydrate leftovers, and for their size they are electricity guzzlers since they don't have much if any insulation. I think my 24" Gaggenau oven uses less electricity at 350 degrees than my old toaster oven.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Love, love, love my Elux WT single with an Elux warming drawer under. Magnificent cooking. No issues w/the cleaning cycles.

I wanted the double but was a tad tight on space and I am short. Now that I have the superb warming drawer I am so happy I didn't bother with the double. At the suggestion of other GWers I invested in the mid-size Breville and with those three I have more oven capacity than I will ever need. YMMV. Now, my Elux fridge . . . not so much love there. :-(

• whit461
    10 years ago

We splurged on an Advantium single wall oven. We bake a lot, DW is about 5'3". Has proofing feature, warming drawer feature, etc. Worked hard ove Thanksgiving, baking three kinds of pies, pound cake, breakfast scones. Oh, and we've been playing with making soufflés!!!! Ours is the GE Monogram Pro model 240V. Fi, this pic is early still during our remodel and the cabinets, walls, etc. we're not finished.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

I'm 5'3 with 27" Elux Wave Touch Double Ovens. They work great and I have no problems reaching them. If you pair a sale with a rebate you should be able to get them for less than 3K.

• subonim
    10 years ago

MizLizzie

I am planning on getting the Elux double oven and one of their fridges - I saw your post above, can you please elaborate on what you don't love about yours?

What fridge would you rather?

• cj47
    10 years ago

I've had the Electrolux double wall ovens, WT for 4 years now and have had no trouble with cleaning or anything else. They work beautifully, brown evenly, love the proof settings, use the keep warm setting often in the lower one, and while I pooh-poohed the Perfect Turkey button originally, I've found that it really does produce a beautiful bird. I just did my 4th Thanksgiving with the new kitchen, and while I certainly don't NEED 2 ovens, I really do like having them. No regrets on the expense nor the space devoted to them. I waited for a rebate and it was worth it. I also have an Electrolux refrigerator, and other than having some trouble with the ice line freezing, I have had no trouble with it. It's huge--great for a family, nice configurability. (is that a word?)

Best of luck with the appliance choices,
    Cj

• hilltop1155
    10 years ago

I just posted a rather long review of my Electrolux ICON double wall oven, before I saw your post. You might want to take a look at it and if you have questions or need any measurements I can help.

• hilltop1155
    10 years ago

I just noticed your questions about the double oven being too high for a short person. I'm 5'4" and mine isn't too high. I installed it in a cabinet with a 10" drawer below the ovens (tray cabinet above).

It is, in fact, the perfect height for me. The top shelf is at 54", which is ten inches shorter than me so I can see and reach that shelf easily.

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is so amazingly useful!
    How about the electrolux Icon versus the wave-touch? I cannot find a showroom with these two, only a show room with the wave-touch, and even there it is not hooked up so I cannot see how it actually works.
    many many thanks for your keen insights.

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is so amazingly useful!
    How about the electrolux Icon versus the wave-touch? I cannot find a showroom with these two, only a show room with the wave-touch, and even there it is not hooked up so I cannot see how it actually works.
    many many thanks for your keen insights.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

The Icon definitely has a different "look" and is more expensive than the WaveTouch. I don't know whether its otherwise any different.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Kindly pardon the hijack here.

subonim, we had issues out of the gate with our Electrolux CD fridge, model EI23BC35KS. Within two days, the lower freezer was sweating and frosting up around the seal. We had a service call, and adjustments to the tilt were made. Sometimes, though, stuff in the freezer gets a sheen of . . . snow on it. Looks like snow. The upper basket comes off its tracks easily. About six weeks ago, the lower ice maker just died. A new one was put in, and it is working again. All cheerfully repaired under warranty.

What would I rather? Dunno. I'd set off with the intent of getting an LG but my dealer strongly recommended the Elux for better service. And the service we've had has been prompt and stellar, to be sure. But I have an uneasy feeling about the fridge on the whole.

My repairman strongly suggested I call Elux and demand an extended warranty, even if I had to pay for it. I haven't got round to calling yet. I assume the initial warranty is one year. I doubt they will be willing to extend. In the past, Elux had terrible issues with their fridges but I was assured those days were over. I am not so sure. Other than that, I like the fridge.

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hijack is fine!
    Refrigerators are really tough. It doesn't seem like any counter-depth refrigerators get good ratings. I love the look and feel of the LG, but scratched it off my list because of all the problems with the door-mounted ice maker freezing. I am now starting to consider one w/o an ice maker. That said, I really love the cooled and filtered water, but inside the fridge is OK.

• Muffett
    10 years ago

I decided on the GE Profile single convection wall oven in stainless topped by a built in microwave. With the recent Black Friday sales it was about $1600 for the oven and another $300 for the GE Profile microwave with trim kit. What intrigued me during my research was the updated 10 pass broiler that didn't seem to hang down into view as much as others and the smooth glide rack on the bottom was nice.

I'm coming from an Amana gas range that was ancient so this whole world of appliance shopping is overwhelming. Good luck with your decision.

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much. All this information is very useful.
    Its good to be reminded that a second oven means that much less storage space!
    And I'm relieved to hear so many people with great experiences with electrolux. I will certainly go electrolux, and maybe single oven!

• Schultzd4
    10 years ago

I have the electrolux double wall ovens and am extremely disappointed! The convection fan in the lower oven stopped working within the first 8 weeks and now the whole unit is dead! One week before Christmas and I am without an oven! If I could do it over, I would have 2 separate ovens. Didn't think about how connected these ovens are-when the control panel goes out it means no ovens! I could not recommend this brand based on my experience of needing 2 service appointments within the first 10 months. New appliances should not need "new" parts!!

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That would be hugely disappointing! I'm hoping for you that it gets fixed pronto. It seems as if some e-lux are simply lemons, while some are fabulous. Wonder if it is a "made on monday" thing? Best of luck with the repairs.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Schultzd4 - That is terrible! You have every right to be upset. I hope they can get it fixed for you quickly. There is someone at Elux who used to monitor this forum and help with problems, chris.polk@electrolux.com. Don't know if he/she is still in that position, but if you need to elevate a complaint, it might be someplace to try. Maybe they can expedite the parts for you.

• gabethan
    10 years ago

I have heard way too many negatives for the Electrolux that I have looked elsewhere. I found this one that has had lots of good reviews on many websites. I would also love to know reviews from any Thermador owners out there. http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KEBS209BSP.html

• wekick
    10 years ago

Although I love the way it bakes, and have recommended it in the past, I would be hesitant to buy anything in the way of an Electrolux oven in light of the exclusions noted on their own extended warranties. They will only cover the enamel for one year.

"This Service Contract does not cover repairs which are necessary because of improper installation, cosmetic damage, normal wear and tear, negligence, misuse, abuse, alteration, rust of any kind, service or replacement of porcelain enamel, exterior and interior finishes"

from the extended warranty- 1-3 years
    Summary of Service Contract Terms and Conditions

This makes me doubt that it is fixed.

• sprtphntc7a
    10 years ago

bought a wolf "e" series floor model 2 plus years ago and its fabulous....and it was in your price range, not sure about now....

bakes flawless, roasts beautifully, convection is awesome....

it is a single and we put a miele speed oven on top of it. we use that constantly and it is great...

i did see a thread on here that wolf is/did come out with a redesigned oven, so maybe you can get one as a floor model and save some $$$....

i know its a lot of $$ but i view my appliances as my "tools" of the kitchen and i wanted excellent ones...its all how you view it...if you use your tools, its worth the $$

side note: wolf has great customer service!!!

• wekick
    10 years ago

"Posted by sprtphntc
    i did see a thread on here that wolf is/did come out with a redesigned oven, so maybe you can get one as a floor model and save some $$$...."

With all of the issues with blue enamel chipping, I would avoid the old model. The new model has a removable bottom to make repairs cheaper.

"side note: wolf has great customer service!!!"

They might during the warranty period but they drop off after that-just like everybody else. My DF range blue enamel is chipped off down to bare metal. I thought it would last more than 4 years. It does bake well if I could use it.