Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezer defrost problem

Posted by mamalinda (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 23:08

Hello,

Our freezer/refrigerator stopped getting cold enough last week. The freezer was freezing ice, but not ice cream or other foods and the refrigerator was running at about 55 degrees.

I checked to see if it was a defrost problem and sure enough there was a lot of frost built up all around the coils and even on the back of the inside of the freezer.

I've now unplugged and defrosted the whole unit. I originally suspected it was the defrost timer. But now I'm thinking that the timer is not the problem because when I manually turn the timer till it "clicks" and the compressor goes off, the defrost heater does not warm up.

Is it still possible that it's the timer? Or should I think about replacing the defrost thermostat? Or is there something else I should be looking at? Is it possible to test the thermostat if I don't have a multitester?

Thanks so much!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezer defrost problem

You'll have to do further investigation on the individual components ... suspect the defrost heater first, then the thermostat, then the timer.

Note that the defrost thermostat must be cold to trigger the heater. The heater can't come on if the unit is still "warm" after you unplugged it for manual defrosting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here