Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop1155

Review of Electrolux ICON 30" Double Oven Pro Series E30EW85G

hilltop1155
10 years ago

We have had our Elux ICON double wall oven for about five months. I thought I would share my experience with it.

We installed the oven ourselves. Installation was quick and simple. We had no problems.

I love this oven. The inside is a beautiful blue color and the bottom burner is concealed, which makes it easier to wipe clean inside. The outside is clean and sleek, and even though my kitchen is a Craftsman style the oven fits in just fine. I like the look of the stainless face and substantial handles.

The lighting is spectacular, with two side-mounted lights in each oven positioned so the entire cavity is well lit. When you open the door, the lights turn on automatically. There is a light button on the panel that turns them on manually at any time. The one drawback on lighting is that you can't turn on the lights in one oven only; both ovens come on at once. Hence, the lamps will burn out unnecessarily early in the bottom oven, which I use less often.

In each oven there are four shelves, three of which (in each) are on rollers. All the shelves are easily removable. The one non-roller shelf is designed to move to any position, while the rollers shelves are fairly fixed. At least, I haven't figured out how to move them. I can live with the positions of the roller shelves, but if I had my druthers I would choose slightly different positioning. I bake a lot, though, and so far this hasn't been a hindrance. I don't know if we were the exception, but we had no trouble with leveling the oven, and the roller shelves don't tend to roll out or in without help. It seems to me that there is just enough friction there, at any rate, to keep them where you want when you pull them out part way - but not so much friction that the nice, smooth glide is impaired at all.

I really wanted the convection because I had it in my previous wall oven, a Dacor. I really haven't found a great use for it in this oven yet, though. I haven't cooked a turkey in it yet, and that was a biggie in my Dacor, but on everything else so far, the oven heats evenly and seems to work so well without convection that I haven't needed to use it. I also used to use a feature called Convection Bake for cookies in the Dacor, which caused them to cook faster and gave a wonderful crisp outside and chewy inside. My cookies come out with the same texture on the regular setting in this oven and they don't seem to cook appreciably slower than they used to in the Dacor. The convection seemed to dry them out a little in the Elux, so I just don't use it for cookies. There is convection in both ovens, incidentally, and you can Convection Bake, Convection Roast and Convection Broil. I gather that these settings have to do with how much heat comes from the bottom or the top.

Generally speaking I prefer knobs on ovens over touch displays. I was worried about that. I've found, though, that the display is very easy to understand and the learning curve is quite short. It is intuitive and - well, it just works. So far, no complaints on that.

I haven't, however, figured out how to use the temp probe. I tried repeatedly by following the instructions in the manual but it didn't function as I thought it should so I gave up in favor of getting my dinner cooked. If anyone knows the trick, please advise.

I LOVE the big windows. I can monitor my dishes from way across the room.

One feature I use a lot is the Proof mode because I make yeast bread. The proof mode defaults to 100 degrees but you can set it as low as 85 degrees. I have also used this to bring butter to room temp quickly when I forgot to set it out to make cookies. (We have no microwave at this time.)

It is easy to change temperature on the oven. You can use the up/down buttons but you can just as easily enter the correct temp on the touch keypad. I love that, since my Dacor was limited to up/down keys. When the power goes off (we live in a flaky power area), the oven comes back on ready to set the clock; you just key in the correct time and hit start and it's set. Brilliant.

I can't think of anything else remarkable right now, but I must say this oven always comes through for me, with the exception of the temperature probe (and that may be an operator problem, honestly). I never had a temp probe before so I don't miss it.

I hope this review is helpful to someone else who is making their oven decision. If anyone has a question, I'll be glad to answer.

***Revision 12/10/13****

After another poster made positive statements about the convection feature I decided to try it again. On my previous Dacor it was recommended to reduce the temp by 25 degrees for cookies, from 350 to 325, when using convection. That was what I previously did on the ICON and I felt the cookies were dry by the time they browned around the edges. This time I kept the temp the same as called for on the recipe, 350, and used Convection Bake. PERFECTION! The oatmeal chocolate chip cookies came out perfectly brown and crispy on the edges, soft and tender in the middle, just the way we like them. So now I'm sold on the ICON's convection for baking cookies.

This post was edited by Hilltop55 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 23:49

Comments (20)

• LE
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the detailed review. It is always nice to hear when someone is happy with a product. Most of us tend to make more noise when displeased! We are getting an Electrolux oven in our new house based on reading GW the past few years. Wave-touch, not Icon, but I can no longer remember the specific differences. I think there should be a lot of similarities. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

We got our first oven with convection last year in our current house and I honestly have not been careful enough to make observations like yours. I don't really know when to use the convection feature or not, so I've been pretty haphazard. So thanks for that, too-- I'll try to be more observant!

• MandyMooToo
    10 years ago

In my Electrolux oven the racks come out by pulling them to you most of the way and then tilting them upward and continuing to pull them out. You just angle them downward and "hook" them in place to put them back in. As for the probe I can't really help because I wasn't sure what the problem was that you are having. I use my probe quite a bit, or at least I did until I accidentally pulled the stinking wires loose and it stopped working!! I have yet to order another...

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I think elux has the "sexiest" ovens on the market. It came down to wolf or elux and I went with the wolf. So far so good

• jadeite
    10 years ago

We have a single Elux oven, wave-touch, but I think the temperature probe works in the same way. Plug it into the socket, push the probe end into your roast. Touch "cook options", then "probe". Key in the temperature you want to reach on the keypad. Press "start". That's it. If you don't enter a temperature, the default is 170F. When the probe reaches your set temperature or 170F, the oven switches to "keep warm". It's a great feature.

I move my oven racks around all the time. This past Thanksgiving I took one out so I could have the turkey and a side dish roasting at the same time. When the turkey came out, I put the oven rack back in so I could heat pies on all 3 racks.

Cheryl

• gabethan
    10 years ago

a2gemini - why did you decide on the wolf? I see great reviews for electrolux and bosch. I really like the wolf, but I'm wondering why you made that decision. Thanks!

• wekick
    10 years ago

Great review Hilltop55. I use the convection for anything I want to brown and I might only use it for part of the cooking cycle. Things like poultry, some meat, roasted veggies, casseroles like potatoes au gratin and macaroni and cheese. I use it for cookies too. I have been using it on things that rise after the rise is complete if I think of it. I have also used the dehydrate function on low heatI keep two racks in, one roll out on the bottom that I don't move much and one regular rack that moves around easily. The roll out racks should move around as Mandy said. I also had a Dacor wall oven for about 9 months and my Elux rolling racks were much easier to move.

I have a Wolf oven in my range and an Electrolux wall oven. Blue enamel issues on both aside, they both bake/roast very well. I might give a very slight edge on evenness, only when the oven is full, to the Wolf. This is probably due to the dual fans. Otherwise performance is pretty similar.

• MandyMooToo
    10 years ago

Wekick-I am in the market for a new dual fuel range and I am strongly considering the Wolf. What are the enamel issues you have been having, if any? I haven't had any problems out of my Electrolux and if we were not remodeling the kitchen and (finally) getting gas hooked up then I would keep it till it dies! TIA!

• wekick
    10 years ago

I have posted about it but at a little over 4 years the enamel failed on my Wolf DF. I also have a wall oven so this oven is not used as much. Wolf would pay for part of the repair but could not give me a fixed estimate. Labor for the repair started at $800 and could go up depending "on what they find". They would only guarantee the part for a year. In light of the ongoing issues they have with blue enamel, we decided to not throw good money after bad. The new Wolf wall ovens have removable bottoms to make repairs cheaper but the ranges still have the liner all in one piece. As much as I like the way the range functions, and highly recommended them on this forum for years, I wouldn't buy one unless you want to spend your money replacing every four years or less. In my area, there have been other people with the same issue. We are a smaller market area. I also had issues with the blue enamel on the Elux oven but the first time was under warranty, immediately on purchase in 08(they replaced oven) and the second time this year under extended warranty(They replaced the liner). Elux does not seem to have recent complaints as Wolf does. I bought them from the same guy and he told me I would not need an extended warranty for wolf as they would always stand behind it. HA! The Elux is going strong and the Wolf is a very expensive storage cabinet. A far cry from the decades of service they promise.
    I wish I had bought a rangetop and 2 separate wall ovens so that I would only have to replace the component that was bad.
    If you have a range you like, keep it. Is it DF? I might need to look at the Elux range.

• MandyMooToo
    10 years ago

Wekick-Thank you for the response! I too purchased my Elux in 2008 or thereabouts but I have had no enamel issues. I love my range but it is not dual fuel and that is really what I want, hence the research and questions! I really appreciate your comments because I am going between buying a dual fuel Elux, Wolf or Blue Star maybe.

• gabethan
    10 years ago

What makes the electrolux different to the bosch oven that I have also read good reviews about??

• MandyMooToo
    10 years ago

Gabethan-I do not have a Bosch oven so I cannot comment as to it's performance. I can only say that I really like my Elux and am only changing it out due to remodeling my kitchen (going dual fuel SS and my Elux is all electric and black). I keep wondering if I should forgo the Wolf/BS dilemma and just go with another Elux.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Several other features worth calling out:

- the glass covers the entire inside of the door, without the usual large steel frame, making it easy to keep clean

- you can broil with the door open a few inches, so food will get seared on top without cooking all the way through

- any control buttons that can't be used at a given time go dark, only lighting up the ones you may need.

- it's quiet! So many modern ovens have noisy cooling fans

• skind49
    10 years ago

@lee676...are you referring to the Wolf or the Electrolux Icon? I've been wondering about the cooling fan noise in the Electrolux.

This post was edited by SkindyLu on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 17:13

• lee676
    10 years ago

the electrolux (i've never used the wolf)

• wekick
    10 years ago

SkindyLu,
    Many convection ovens are loud. I think the Elux is pretty quiet in comparison to the other ovens I have used-2 different GE Profiles, Wolf (has two fans) and Dacor. It does not put as much hot air into the kitchen as the Dacor does either.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Hilltop-great job on your review! I hope you figured out the racks.
    Gabe- I went wth wolf for a couple of reasons. Don't laugh, I was all ready to go with the elux icon and then read about some porcelain issues with the elux (oops). Then wolf had a big rebate going on. The third was, I liked the Advantium 240 and could pair it with the wolf. I just remembered one more thing- the cavity of the wolf was larger than elux.

• lee676
    10 years ago

The Advantium 240 can be paired with the Electrolux too. There are three style options, the (recently redesigned) GE Profile version works well with the standard non-Icon or Icon Designer 30" ovens; the pro-style Monogram Advantium is similar to the pro-style Electolux Icon. The standard non-pro GE Monogram Advantium has a nice, neutral appearance that looks good with just about any other brand. The blue-green clock lighting is a reasonable match to Electrolux's blue, better than the amber or red clocks on some other brands. The Advantium 240 is only officially rated for use over a GE oven - understandable since they can't be responsible for someone else's oven being too hot - but IRL I don't think other brands should be a problem, especially if they allow their own appliances (like built-in microwaves or coffee systems) to be placed above them.

• wekick
    10 years ago

Both Wolf and Electrolux have issues with the blue porcelain. And its a really big oops on the Wolf. Electrolux seems to have resolved their issues with blue porcelain as there are not any complaints from recent ovens. Wolf still has ongoing issues, but the repair will now be easier with the bottom as a separate piece. Search blue porcelain in this forum to read about this.

Looking at cubic feet or even the depth and width of the oven can be misleading. In looking at oven size, measure the rack to see what the usable space would be and then see how your pans will fit. Look at how the convection fan takes up space in the oven. Some have the fan sticking out into the oven cavity, which might allow for a handle of a pan to hang over a rack edge. Others place a wall across the front of the fan so they can say the back of the oven is flat.
    Some examples
    Wolf
    Electrolux
    The new Wolf ovens seem to be blue. Different fans!
    Wolf M series illustration
    Wolf M series photo
    Also look at where the racks are and how they can be used. On Elux, at least mine, the rolling rack cannot be put on the lowest position. The regular rack can be placed there.

The best feature of the Wolf is the dual fans/elements. I think that is more significant in the 36 inch width though.
    Whatever you buy, get the longest extended warranty you can get.

• hilltop1155
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To clarify the rack issue, removing the rolling racks is a breeze. On mine you just lift up and they pop right out; the roller assembly stays in the oven.

I was referring to moving the rolling racks to a different position within the oven, which I can't do. There is one rack in the oven that isn't a roller rack and it can be moved to any position on the side rails, but the rolling mechanism of the rolling racks is fixed in place, welded to the side rails. So while I can remove the rolling rack from the oven, I can't move one of them to a different position on the side rails. Since there are three rolling racks and they're in pretty good positions, I just use them as-is, or remove any or all of them to make room if I'm cooking something large.

As I say, it works; if I had every wish I could hope for, I would love to move the middle rolling rack maybe an inch lower in the oven, but it isn't a huge issue for me.

No problems with the blue porcelain interior, thankfully. We live in a remote area and I'm glad I haven't had problems like that.

I agree with whoever said this is a sexy oven. In all stainless, as mine is, it's a beauty.

• hilltop1155
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SkindyLu, I agree with the others about how quiet the Elux is. I always noticed when my Dacor fan went off because the house was suddenly so ... QUIET. I don't notice the Elux fan. It just doesn't get that noisy.

The Elux fan does protrude into the oven cavity about 1-1/8"; however, there is an extra clearance of 1-1/4" between the front of the rack and the door. The racks are 14" deep and sit back against the fan, but you can get a 15" deep pan in the oven because of the extra clearance to the door.