Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new oven smell???

Posted by kickball (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 19, 08 at 22:27

Just had my new electrolux installed. Ran it for 2
30 minutes and detected a different smell. Haven't had a new oven in awhile. Is it normal for new ovens to SMELL and how long does it last??? Should I wash it out???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new oven smell???

The guy who delivered ran it and told me it would smell at first. And when I did the oven clean, actually ran for a short time just to see if it would work, smelled big time. It smelled bad enough that I was opening the windows. I short ran it (cancelled the cycle after one hour) and then wiped it out.

I don't notice it smelling anymore. Any-case, I am loving my new oven. It's really starting to look used. As in dirty! I need to run the clean cycle. I would assume that it will smell somewhat when it burns off all the stuff on the oven.

o

this is normal. it's called 'burn-in'. what you're smelling is the various substances that are on the metal as a result of the manufacturing process burning off. if you read your manual, it's most likely mentioned in there.

run your oven for a few hours at 400 with your blower on. after that, you shouldn't smell it too much.

o

Thanks housefairy and edlakin....what blower are you talking about??

o

your ventilation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here