Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerator Warranties / Extended Warranty Plans

Posted by simanco (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 22:16

In shopping for a new refrigerator, Lowes and Sears have both talked about their extended warranties.

Should I bother?

Should I specifically look at a 'fridge model that has a longer warranty?

Lowes and Sears will both sell me a 5 year protection plan that would cover full replacement cost, if needed, out to a total of 6 years.

Whirlpool is releasing 3 nearly identical models under the Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Maytag brands at the first of the year.

All three have the standard 1-year warranty.

The Maytag has a 10 year limited warranty on the compressor.

The KA will have a year 2-5 warranty on the lining of the refrigerator plus the cooling system (compressor, evaporator, tubing, condensor). As Well As a year 6-10 warranty on just the cooling system.

LG has a 10 year limited compressor warranty.

We've not bought a new major appliance in many years, so I'm not familiar with what people are doing these days, or what may be necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerator Warranties / Extended Warranty Plans

I bought SquareTrade warranties for most of my appliances, (though not my gas range, which ironically had the most problems. But that's another story.) and only had to use it on the fridge, for a really minor repair (cost around $70). They paid quickly. They also give you the option to use your choice of repair companies, not just their contracted partners. That's an important distinction for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here