Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markdavis_gw

Subzero BI48SS handle cracking issue

markdavis
10 years ago

Wanted to post something about a 2009 Subzero BI48SS we have, which shows dozens of cracks in all 3 internal drawer handles. Obviously some sort of defect.

1. First we talked to the company we purchased the appliance from and they recommended we call Subzero. Really wish they were a bit more "helpful". Oh well. Just bought another appliance from them too.

2. Left a bunch of messages with Subzero...they are out for the Holiday. Haven't been able to get in touch with anyone over there.

3. We talked to our local authorized repair folks, who told us this was not under warranty. Our Subzero is 4.5 years old. Try to sell us on a diagnosis appt for $79, but this is a pretty simple parts order.

4. Then talked to West Coast Parts Distributing, which is the parts dealer for Subzero. Sam is amazing. Incredibly proactive. Sam informed is that this was a continual issue and that Subzero should replace the parts for free, even if the Subzero is out of warranty. He referred us back to our local authorized repair center and told us he'd be in touch by Thursday with a resolution. Sam mailed the local repair center as well and plans to contact Subzero for us...

I'll post a recap when everything is resolved, but I'd really like to give props to Sam...

I thought I'd post this in case others are having similar issues.

-mark

PS. We also have a rattle on our outside freezer door handle when it closes. That is the next problem to tackle.

Comments (6)

• carree
    10 years ago

Thank you for this helpful post. I have new sub zero and am happy with it, but I do wait with bated breath for things to go wrong, just given some experiences others have had. Happy New Year.

• bend_or
    10 years ago

It is good to hear that you are on the way to getting service for your SZ. I am approaching purchase of first one, in particular the 48. And if not that, perhaps their freezer drawer. So, this builds my confidence with regard to their support service.

One quirk I noticed with SZ was the door pressure. I do not mind it requires a firm tug. But a few of the SZs I experienced in showrooms were harder to open than others; and probably more tug required to open than one would tolerate on a day-to-day basis. How is your experience?

Though, if the machine is serving as is promoted, as an extraordinary food storage tool, then the door pressure quirk is not a deal breaker for me.

This post was edited by bend-or on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 17:52

• markdavis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We've had our 48 since 2009 with zero problems...love it. One of the coolest aspects of the thing is the Ethylene reduction system, which really does extend the life of items placed in the refrigerator. I always thought that Subzero was one of the easiest appliance decisions I had to make. Miele DW may be the 2nd easiest. We also have a 48" Wolf range.

The only two problems we've had are:

1. the cracking handles, which are a 'known' issue. BTW, we have handles in the mail from Subzero, thanks to Sam...absolutely outstanding customer service on this part (and the opposite from Appliance & Refrigeration Hospital). This is obviously cosmetic and super easy to fix (6 screws).

2. our freezer door handles started rattling about 1 year after we bought it when it closes...I suspect I need to just tighten up something. I did attempt to tighten the allen wrench screws at the top and bottom and it didn't seem to help. Anyone experience this issue??

Thanks, -mark

• markdavis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Regarding the door pressure - you need to wait 10 seconds after you let it close to open it, or it will be more difficult while the pump is running.

I find the pressure very strong on our BI48SS and I like that.

-mark

• MollyMay
    10 years ago

I had sub zero out for a repair. My fault on the repair and while he was there informed me my handles were cracking and said sub zero knew the issue and was replacing for free. He came and replaced a week later.
    Purchased in 2009.

My last house was also SZ and I loved it. There service is superior.