Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

Problems w/Bosch 800 dishwasher - should the hose be looped?

User
9 years ago

We redid our kitchen about six months ago and installed a Bosch 800 series dishwasher as part of the remodel. I've been really pleased with it; it's dead silent and cleans well, which is all I expect from a dishwasher. Then a month ago I got some error codes- E15 Aquastop Watertap. Bosch customer service was going to take a month to get here, so I called an appliance repair firm that had helped us in the past.

The guy came and spent 45 minutes unclogging the drain - said it was filled with gunk. I was surprised by this because I'm pretty neurotic (unnecessarily I know) about precleaning food before the loading the dishwasher - we only use it every other night and I don't like the yuck factor of anything that could stink. I had done some reading here and elsewhere on the internet and thought perhaps I was having the same mysterious gunk problem due to detergent that has been discussed here.

Then today, I got the same error code - it actually came on while I was using the sink and garbage disposal. Hadn't touched the dishwasher in 2 days due to travel. And so, thinking it was kind of weird for the dishwasher drain to suddenly clog when not in use and upset that I was going to have to call the repair guy again, spend another $180 and stay home from work, I did some more internet sleuthing.

I saw one suggestion that installation and hose placement could be the cause of water backup, and then started poking around the Bosch installation manual. I have no air gap, and the hose is not looped at all - it runs from the dishwasher across the sink cabinet to the garbage disposal and is primarily at a pitch below the entry point from the dishwasher. (I tried to take a photo, posted below.)

I think this means it was installed incorrectly, and that water may be washing back from the sink but as someone with ZERO plumbing skills, I wanted to come here first before I get angry (again) with the contractor who did our kitchen renovation. Either way, I'm probably going to have to start with a repair person, but can anyone here tell me if I might be onto something? And should a contractor know that a high loop is required for a dishwasher installation - a quick internet search makes it seem like this is the norm, but obviously, again, I'm clueless so I didn't know if this might be some super specialized only-in-new-Bosch models kind of thing that a run-of-the-mill contractor might not be aware of....

Thanks for any help!

{{gwi:2134328}}

Comments (14)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! It defies my imagination that this could be related to the frequency of our dishwashing. Every other night isn't exactly infrequent; I probably used our 25yo Whirlpool that this replaced more sporadically and we never had a problem.

I don't know if there was a high loop preinstalled; I looked up the installation manual for my model and it doesn't mention one. It does say the hose should be looped or connected to an air gap. The minimum height required is 20", which is just about the height where the hose enters my sink cabinet, but it then dips to the floor instead of being elevated as in the snippet below from the Bosch manual.

My filter is always clean, there has never been much water in the dishwasher sump, and the fact that this problem revived while I was using the GD makes me suspicious that it's not really a dishwasher problem, but a problem of water or food running thru the GD into the dishwasher due to bad installation. But that's the equivalent of practicing medicine via Google.

I could elevate the hose myself, but I can't figure out how to get to any blockage in the dishwasher drain, so I'm going to have to call a professional either way. But if I'd figured this out the last time, I would have at least avoided a repeat visit.

{{gwi:2134329}}

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

I have never "high-looped" any of the drain hoses on my dishwashers - that's what the non-return valve in Bosch, Miele and other Euro dishwashers is for. Anyway... E:15 relates to the dishwasher having detected an internal leak (google Bosch dishwasher e 15) and is not related to drain blockages, which would trigger another error code.

Alex

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

When I wanted to install an air-gap, I just got a hole saw and cut a hole in the counter where it could go and installed it myself. If you have tile or granite you will need a pro to do the job, but it is a one time fix. I could choose between many brands and I got one that matched the finish on my faucet. soap dispenser, and instant hot water tap (brushed stainless steel). Now we have a new counter and my wife wanted dual stainless steel sinks so I ordered one with enough mounting holes for everything.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks @whirlpooltrainee & @nerdyshopper. I made an appointment with a tech from a Bosch-affiliated shop coming by at the end of this week.

In the meantime, I had my regular repair guy (who'd cleared the problem last time) and he said it should have been high-looped (which is what the installation manual says as well).

So he made that fix and reset the machine so that it works. But he also indicated that there was water collecting at the bottom of the tub and that he thought the control panel was wonky. I'm keeping the Bosch warranty appointment for this week to make sure that I get it fully checked by an expert.

• Lilly Ghassemieh
    8 years ago

The E-15 error message indicates the dishwasher is detecting extra moisture and a possible leak. This can also happen if the air around the dishwasher is humid, which was the case for me. I waited a couple days for the moisture around the machine to evaporate and it started to work again.

• boumbo90
    8 years ago

I am debating between a Bosch 500 or 800 dishwasher? After rebate, it is only $50 difference. The 800 series have more electronics, which have better chance to break.

Is it better to get the 800 series over the 500 series?

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Which models?

• boumbo90
    8 years ago

shp65tl5uc Vs Shp68tl5uc

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Get the one you like better. The main electronic module is the same between these two - and most Bosch dishwashers anyway. It's just a matter of which cycles are stored on it. The 800 control panel seems touch control, in which case you *could* even argue that it's better sealed against moisture than buttons. Other expensive parts like the wash pump are also identical between these two and, again, most Bosch dishwashers.

Alex

• boumbo90
    8 years ago

Thank you.

another question. :) why does the Bosch dishwasher come with junction box instead of power cord? Is there a reason for that? It is pain to install with a junction box.

• doogiehouse
    8 years ago

I've been getting the water tap error and cannot fix it. I've emptied the bottom and cleared the hose of any water and still get the error. My skills stop there. Help.

• A J
    8 years ago

I thought the junction box thing was a bit odd also, but you can get a regular power cord for about $20. I just cut the cord off the dishwasher I was replacing and stripped the wires back and used the junction box. Took all of five minutes, if you have a cord you can use.