Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisashieldspilates

Worth it to upgrade from Hotpoint to Samsung

Hi everyone,

I am a new poster, but I have been reading these forums for years. There are so many wise and generous people able to dispense information and opinions.

I would like to invite everyone to give me their opinions.

I have a hotpoint 30 inch gas range. It's ok. Only one burner is able to boil water. When I first moved in, I called the home warranty company to service it because I thought it was broken. The service man just informed me that's how my range is.

I've been cooking on it for four years now. It's probably 6 years old. It's white and bare bones basic.

The fact that only one burner has power--I just know that and cook around it.

The oven is probably off or weak. I never invested in an oven thermometer. But, I just baked christmas cookies today and for some of the recipes, it took 10-15 minutes longer than the recipe to finish them. Also, I have to watch because the cookie bottoms will burn and then the rest of the cookie will be raw.

It's a basic oven and I cook every day so I am just used to it.

I am considering upgrading to a Samsung 30 inch gas range with convection and a warming drawer. It also has continuous cast iron grates and the weird 5th oval burner.

Is it worth it? Or, if I am not getting a professional range, is it truly not an upgrade?

I would gain, convection, more power in the burners, continuous cast iron grates, warming drawer. I would also get stainless steel.

The rest of my kitchen is gorgeous. Calcatta marble, thomasville cabinets. The people that did the renovation took their good range with them.

Opinions?

Comments (20)

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

Sounds like your current oven is not even fully functional?? And you noted that you cook every day! So I would vote for the upgrade! When we remodeled our kitchen I debated if we should just reface our cabinets or replace them. We chose to replace them and I'm so thankful we did. The improved functionality of the new cabinets makes working in the kitchen easier in ways I could not even imagine prior to the remodel.

• Lisashieldspilates
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The woman at Pacific Sales was trying to sell me professional ranges. She basically said that anything that wasn't Wolf, Thermador, or Viking wasn't worth having. I am not sure if she just wants a bigger commission. My area is full of snobs I guess.

If it's going to cost that much $4,000+, I won't upgrade. That's the thing. My budget is around $1000-$1200. It's a budget based on principle. I only have 30" of space. I will always be limited. If I had even 36", I would consider a fancier range.

Maybe in my next house/life.

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

I checked out all those high end brands also. I ended up going with a Dacor/Electrolux which was significantly cheaper than those. As I remember it cost a little more than the budget range you have established. I don't think you have to go with a professional range to get improved functionality. But I understand what you mean - if you're not buying what they're selling then what's wrong with you :-) Keep looking. I'm sure others on this forum will ave good suggestions. You might also cross post to the kitchen forum which is a very active forum with lots of good info on appliances. I received invaluable assistance and advice on that forum when we remodeled our kitchen.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Samsung isn't really known for their gas ranges... I'd replace, but look elsewhere

• practigal
    9 years ago

I went from a Tappan that had become less functional than your current stove to a Frigidaire fggf3054mw about $800 delivery and tax included (bought on a sale). I am so glad I did. Yes, I think you should upgrade to something that works...this stove has only one small burner the other three are powerful and I love the griddle. I would read the online reviews at the big box stores as sometimes the reviewers give you some quirky bit of info that clues you in on why something would be great, or not, for you. Forget the high end $$$$ ranges you can enjoy them in someone else's kitchen! One of the quirky reviews I read indicated that I would probably really like a stove with a griddle and I do!

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

I agree on the 3054. It's a silver bullet piece. Everything you are in consideration of probably will preform similar. They should all have a similar life span. The best thing to do is treat it like a car. Stand in front of it and ask your self what do you want to stand in front of for the next 8 or so years. Make the connection and don't over think it. Most importantly Shop at a independent retailer not a big box store.

• Lisashieldspilates
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was looking at the samsung range that got the highest in Consumer Reports ratings. So, they are beginning to be known for their ranges.

It's sad--really only 8 years lifespan? Do the professional ranges last longer? Is that what part of the giant leap in price buys a consumer? Is it longevity?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I was looking at the samsung range that got the highest in Consumer Reports ratings. So, they are beginning to be known for their ranges.

CR is a joke. I wouldn't pay attention to their cooking ratings. If they give the exact same product under different brands different ratings, how can they be trusted to evaluate things reliably? Gas ranges are a new thing for Samsung, and CR has nothing to say about how reliable they will be or what getting service will be like (in my experience with Samsung, the latter in particular has been an issue). For a new, basic gas range I'd stick to Frigidaire/Electrolux or GE.

>It's sad--really only 8 years lifespan? Do the professional ranges last longer? Is that what part of the giant leap in price buys a consumer? Is it longevity?

8 years is just a figure, give or take. In my experience freestanding gas ranges are one of the more reliable appliances out there, and should last considerably longer than 8 years. But often after 8 years people get sick of the look and replace it, or they have moved by then. Your current range is a prime example. At 6 years old it still "works" but you want something nicer.

Or they might decide to replace instead of repair even for a minor issue at that point. Even without taking reliability into account, people just aren't keeping appliances as long as they used to. For example, oven ignitors are a high failure rate item on gas ranges, yet they're quick, relatively inexpensive DIY fixes. Despite that, things as little as that can prompt people to replace their range. Higher parts prices and especially higher labor rates nowadays contribute to that, but if you DIY you don't have to worry about the latter.

As for prostyle ranges, there are many different kinds. Some will actually last longer and/or perform better than your standard cheap freestanding range, but others are really only different in looks.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 15:29

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

That salesperson was just trying to sell you.

There are lots of quality gas ranges in the $1000-1200 range. Most of which will perform substantially better than your builder grader hotpoint.

The choice is not $400 or $4000. Go to your local sears, or big box home store and look at things. Think about what options you want vs don't want. For example do you care about a 5th burner? do you want multitudes of baking modes?

Narrow down you choice to 3-4 options and come back to get more specific feedback on those models.

I agree consumer reports is not the be all end all when it comes to ranges. It is fine to use them but they should be considered just one data point in an overall decision making process. For the niche of the market you are in CR may provide valuable information.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

I think you should definitely upgrade. Honey, I admire your dedication. Christmas cookies are a huge deal around here.

I recently upgraded my range to a Whirlpool with convection and five burners. I am so happy that I did. One thing to consider is that Home Depot and Lowes will price match or price match plus 10% off competitors pricing as long as the model numbers are the same. I found a super low price at sears and price matched plus 10% at Lowes. Couple that with an extended financing deal - score! Doing so was very advantageous to me and my budget.

You can always do professional but if you don't think you need it, then don't do it.

Good luck!

This post was edited by divastyle on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 18:24

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

It is pathetic to see people recommend going to big box stores to save a few dollars. You are far better off paying a bit more and go to a independent retailer who has the experienced staff that can help you select the right model. I'm many cases a independent retailer will be priced competitive and may even service the product. When your spend money locally it helps locally. Profits are not funneled to shareholders. That theoretical savings will cost you more in the long run when you shop at the big box stores.

• Lisashieldspilates
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for being my sounding board. Professor and diva style, that does make perfect sense. I am going to hit go on the range that I liked. I am not sure where I am going to buy it, but I will definitely look at both the big box stores and independent retailers. I love supporting local retailers and I love good deals. So either way I win.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Jdoenumber2..I am not really sure how to take your post. I gather that you are a cheerleader for independent retailers. Not sure of the relationship you have for that. Pathetic is an extremely loaded term. If you disagree, fine...tell me the benefits of going to an independent retailer and enlighten/educate the community. But to call my decision pathetic is extremely insulting and I am sure that you don't mean to be insulting.

lisashields - good luck on your purchase. It took me a while to find the right range. But I am very pleased with my decision. Keep us informed.

• practigal
    9 years ago

You will enjoy the difference a new range can make!!!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

What stinks is how many independent retailers are incompetent. Shopping at one doesn't guarantee you'll get a better experience than at a big box store. A lot of the salesmen at these places really don't know that much about the different models. They too can give bad advice, push you towards things that get them the biggest commissions, and screw up delivery/installation. If independent dealers want customers who will pay the premium they need to stay in business, they need to actually add value. Many do, and for those I would absolutely suggest patronizing them over a big box store. But others just don't cut it.

That said, you should definitely shop around and consider local businesses. They may be able to match prices from elsewhere, and even if not they can often add value as mentioned before. And I agree, a dealer who services what he sells is a great thing to have (sadly, not enough dealers do that IMO). In the end, buy from the place that you are the most comfortable with and you can afford.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

I didn't mean to start a flame war over local vs big box. My suggestion was mostly because those stores tend to have the most units on display to be able to check out. Plus many local indies often only carry the high end of the market (wolf, viking etc.) since most have ceded the volume end of the market to the people who can make money on volume (the big box places).

By all means buy local if possible. I'm a fan of buying local because it keeps revenue local.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Diva the word Pathetic was a harsh word and wrong of me to use. I do apologize and didn't mean for such a harsh choice of word to seemed directed towards anyone in particular.

When any item is purchased from a business that is locally owned it helps the community much more. Profits are divided to fewer people and tax dollars stay local. In return it helps more people out. Not all dealers are equal when it comes to service. Some are horrible.

Neither Sears, lowes, homedepot or best buy service their products. They may help put you in touch with a local service provider but you are not a top priority for service if under warranty. Self servicing dealers typically service to keep their business strong and support all of their customers equally(some not all). Many self servcing dealers service at a minimal profit or loss as to provide the best long term experience for their customers.

I know pricing may seem higher at independent retailers. In some cases they are. Most dealers will match pricing to local big box stores in their area. Its better to make something than nothing. Now where selection can be somewhat limited at some independent retailers is the objection I agree with. REtailers need to have loyalty to company's that loyal to them. Competition for floor space can restrict what some dealers choose to floor. For that matter some brands a just headaches so they are avoided all together.

This post was edited by jdoenumber2 on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 14:13

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

Don't listen to the "must buy a professional range" line. I'm fortunate to have been able to buy a pro cooktop that was a splurge, but if I didn't have the option, I'd be perfectly happy with a decent range in the $1000 or so range. I'd ignore the bells and whistles features like touch screens etc and go with a solid reliable basic range with good burners, a decent warranty (I'd opt for the extended warranty on most new appliances). The Samsung you mentioned seems like a good choice. If also look at bosche, whirlpool, or ge.

Any brand will have its die hard supporters and detractors. For some odd reason, kitchen appliances bring out strong passions in people (me included). However, most of these brand produce solid, reliable products (especially if you stay away from fancy features). Compared to your current situation, you will enjoy the upgrade. I cooked on a builder grade frigidaire 4 burner range for six years before moving to my current house. I made thanksgiving meals and so much more and it stood up fine. Don't over think it. Also look for deals online.

Let us know what you chose. I may need to upgrade the range in my rental place soon aJD am looking for options.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

jDoe, Thank you for the apology and explanation. I completely understand the point. I am currently going through an issue with a Sole elliptical that I purchased from Sears. I regret buying the machine. I can't even get warranty support from Sole because Sears has it's own warranty and you have to jump through hoops and hurdles for service. After learning that sears saves money by creating their own warranties, I decided to go to Lowes for the range.

I have learned something new. In all honesty it never occurred to me to ask Home Depot/lowes how they handle warranty issues. It never occurred to me that there could be a higher caliber of service through a local store. I assumed that the service would be the same.

Consulting a local business for major purchases has been duly noted.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Defintely upgrade but pro-style, very likely, means a very good ventilation system is needed. You'd want to make sure you have that from the POs installation before moving forward with a powerful range...if that is they way you end up leaning.

Service can be a big deal, so that is an excellent point.

Sponsored
VA Exteriors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Family Owned & Operated Exterior Construction Experts