Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dryproblem1

New Whirlpool dishwasher not drying

dryproblem1
9 years ago

For some unknown reason, my new dishwasher does not have a vent like my old one so there is no way dishes can dry in steam. My wife would not let me drill vent holes so she washes the dishes after evening mean and before going to bed, opens
the washer door to disperse the steam and have dry dishes the next morning.

Comments (7)

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Yes they dry unless defective. Dumb idea to drill the new unit. What model do you have and I can explain further on where moisture is going.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Model numbers must always be cited in appliance questions to get a useful answer.

Newer dishwashers function differently. Rinse aid is required for proper drying performance.

The machine would likely be damaged beyond repair by drilling vent holes into it. The vent duct on your old unit was designed in a way to prevent water leaking through it.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Many of these newer machines do not have a heated dry or have it is as an option and you have to be sure and select the heated dry cycle. Be sure to use rinseaid. Your wife should quit washing the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher. If they are getting clean it up without her doing the dishes before, you should return the dishwasher. Have you tried just leaving the door shut until the cycle has finished? On my machine, when the cycle is done I open the door and leave it for about five minutes. When I come back any residual water is gone. Drilling holes is an odd response and it would void any warranty make it impossible for you to return it. In addition, water would just leak through the holes during the wash cycle.

• User
    9 years ago

If the interior is stainless, it dries by condensation against the stainless being drained away. Opening the door is counter productive. Rinse aid is required on all new DW's, and leave the door shut until the next morning. Make sure objects like mugs and bowls are tilted when loading so no water accumulates on their bottoms.

• GregNow
    9 years ago

If it is new then don't drill holes or anything that will potentially damage the product. Newer dishwashers function differently and they have different systems to properly dry your dishes. If it doesn't work then call support. You'd get a replacement or free repair from warranty.

• Emi Miller
    2 years ago

I just got a brand new Whirlpool WDTA50SAKZO Dishwasher and the inside is sopping wet including the dishes after extended dry and high heat water selected. i had the appliance company come and give me a replacement and it is just as bad. Huge water in the stainless steel tub droplets like a shower after 40 minutes of extended dry.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@Emi Miller,

"I just got a brand new Whirlpool WDTA50SAKZO Dishwasher and the inside is sopping wet including the dishes after extended dry and high heat water selected."

Are you using rinse aid? The machine's performance is engineered for it. What is the dosage setting (choice of 0/off or 1 to 6 mL)?

Do not expect the interior to be bone-dry immediately after the cycle ends. Crack the door open (hang a dish towel over it if necessary so it doesn't close) so the residual moisture can evaporate.

That's just how these newer units operate. I recently used a friend's Bosch a few times when there for a week to help them move. There were some areas of residual moisture on the tub interior a day later, with rinse aid used. His model doesn't have a drying heater, extended dry option on it (which wasn't used) increases the final rinse temperature.