Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick Hood Question

Posted by Tricia21 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 21:44

HI,
This may seem like a dumb question, but if we're getting a 30" range, do we get a 30" hood? It will be under a cabinet and we're looking to spend under $1000. The ranges we're looking at seem to be in the 50k to 60k btus.
thanks!
tricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick Hood Question

No. It does not matter. If your question is a technical one.

Aesthetics? it's a personal taste question.

dcarch

o

Tricia--for best capture of HOGS (heat, oil, gas, smoke), installing a hood 3" wider on each side and 3" deeper than your range/cooktop is recommended. So for you, a 36" wide and 27" (assuming 24" deep range) deep hood is best. Many people get by with a hood the same width as their range, but bigger is better with kitchen ventilation. Good luck!

o

If the hood is between cabinets, is it practical to have the hood 3" wider on each side?

Is it true that most range hood are about 20 inch deep and the range is about 27 inches deep?

dcarch

o
RE: Quick Hood Answer

Where the cabinets' sides help direct effluent into the hood in the same manner as the wall in the back, the hood can be cabinet width. However, because upper cabinets are rarely deeper than 15 inches, there will be side leakage towards the front of the range. Cabinet sides will need to be cleaned more often if used to reflect effluent upward.

Front extension should be at least three inches beyond the edge of the largest pan that will be used on the front burners. (More technical approaches to hood size may be found in my various comments on this forum, or in the references in My Clippings.) Enough overlap depends on hood height, among other factors.

kas

o

36" would be better. I have a 30" under cabinet vent over a 30" stove and it just doesn't get the job done

o

Ok, so goal would be to get hood wider than stove. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here