Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Function/Reliability/Service of La Cornue CornuFe110 or AlberTine

Posted by EdibleTO (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 21:23

I'm considering purchasing either the CornuFe 110 (43") or CornuFe 90/AlberTine (36") dual-fuel range.

Can anyone who owns one of these advise on:

1. How efficient the burners and oven(s) work;

2. How easy the burners, cooktop, and oven are to clean (there's no self-clean feature);

3. How reliable the range is: whether you've had any problems and/ or needed repairs;

4. Whether service and/or availability of replacement parts + customer service have been good. (Any Canadian experiences would be most welcomed.);

5. Have you purchased the optional cast iron French "plaque"/simmer plate; are you happy with it? Does it really require weekly seasoning?

6. Does anyone have any experience using these ranges with liquid propane rather than natural gas?

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by EdibleTO on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 21:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Function/Reliability/Service of La Cornue CornuFe110 or Alber

I've only been an owner of an Albertine for six months or so. Here's a few answers to your questions:

1. The control is very good on the burners. The high is more than adequate to sear and do wok cooking, and heat up a large pot of water. The evenness of heating is very good -- no hot spots. The simmer on the regular burners can be a bit hot on smaller saucepans. I've not tested out all the modes on the oven yet -- I mainly use convection and regular bake, plus broil. Evenness seems good, but I've not tested the temperature during extended bakes for any variation or if it is running warm (it may be). The convection and bake mode does crisp up the outsides of a large tray of potatoes or root vegetables quiet evenly.

2. Burners and top are very easy to wipe down. The oven is porcelain and the racks come out, so cleaning is easy. But, I'm not a heavy oven user.

3/4. No repairs needed. I did buy this brand because the US distributor is based in my area and because Williams-Sonoma (and others) distribute the product nationally.

5. I am interested in the plaque as well.

o

Thanks for your response, gooster. I'm definitely leaning towards the Albertine. Now it's a matter of choosing colour and trim. Which combination did you go with?

o

I simply got the all stainless version. The only other color I might of considered would have been white and stainless. Here it is:

photo 8f8db3be69b1014597065f48921731e6_zps17564621.jpg

o

It looks great, gooster. Enjoy!

o

Just saw a demo model this week in a store. Chic! But grates already chipped. :(

o

gooster, I've been reading that the CornuFe ovens have a loud fan noise while they're running. How loud/annoying is this?

o

EdibleTO: I have heard no loud fan noises during conventional mode. There is a small fan noise during convection mode, but that is expected. Those comments may have referred to earlier models, which also noted a warm door. I've not had the same issues.

o

Excellent. Thanks again, gooster!

o

Thank you so much, Gooster, for sharing this information! It's so helpful for those of us in the decision phase.

o

I'm very excited! I ordered a La Cornue Albertine range (in dark navy blue with copper and stainless steel accents) yesterday for my farmhouse kitchen reno. Also ordered the cast iron French plaque and the wok ring.

I'm very lucky that there are two dedicated AGA/LaCornue/Heartland showrooms in Toronto, so I was able to see the actual colour and trim in person. I'd been debating between the navy blue and the Provence blue, and being able to actually see both, together with antique tiles I've collected for my backsplash, made the decision easier.

Ordered through Tasco Appliances. Delivery time 4 to 6 weeks. Too bad my reno will take about 3 months and has not yet started. Maybe I'll take delivery just so I can stare at the range and drool.

Thanks again for your help, gooster.

This post was edited by EdibleTO on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 10:47

o

Congratulations! I hpoe it all works well with you. Unsolicited hood recommendation: try your local ModernAire dealer. Powder coated custom colors are not a surcharge and you can get a body color and copper trim to match your new range.

If you do not mind me asking, how much is the French plaque accessory?. I've been meaning to order one.

o
RE: Cleaning the La Cornue CornuFe110 or AlberTine

I purchased the Albertine six months ago and love it. However, I am still trying to ascertain best cleaning methods for the interior of the porcelain oven...Can anyone suggest anything? I've tried every kind of "gentle cleanser" or abrasive (as The La Cornue/ CornuFe Care and Use Guide recommends) I have gently scrubbed with a Scotchbrite pad, with Vim, Weiman Glass Cooktop Cleanser, Bon Ami Power Foam for Glass, GreenWorks all purpose cleansers and NOTHING has worked! The interior splatters and drips that any roast, rack of lamb or turkey create must be wiped up instantly or the resulting juices become baked on -- impossible to remove. Although it's wonderfully easy to remove the interior racks and fittings, I must admit, it's disappointing not being able to achieve a shining clean finish. I've even used the old-fashioned technique of placing a bowl of warm water in a hot oven to loosen splatters with humidity/steam... Any ideas?

o

Astonish, a British cleaner might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Astonish Oven & Cookware Clearn

o

I normally only use warm water with dishwashing soap for normal cleaning. It gets all but the stubburn baked on stains. For tougher splatters, I've used BarKeeper's Friend with success. Have you tried Dawn Power Dissolver as well?

eta: I also soak a sponge in dawn and warm water and let it sit on a spot.

This post was edited by gooster on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 17:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here