Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edibleto

Function/Reliability/Service of La Cornue CornuFe110 or AlberTine

EdibleTO
10 years ago

I'm considering purchasing either the CornuFe 110 (43") or CornuFe 90/AlberTine (36") dual-fuel range.

Can anyone who owns one of these advise on:

1. How efficient the burners and oven(s) work;

2. How easy the burners, cooktop, and oven are to clean (there's no self-clean feature);

3. How reliable the range is: whether you've had any problems and/ or needed repairs;

4. Whether service and/or availability of replacement parts + customer service have been good. (Any Canadian experiences would be most welcomed.);

5. Have you purchased the optional cast iron French "plaque"/simmer plate; are you happy with it? Does it really require weekly seasoning?

6. Does anyone have any experience using these ranges with liquid propane rather than natural gas?

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by EdibleTO on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 21:37

Comments (62)

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Astonish, a British cleaner might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Astonish Oven & Cookware Clearn

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I normally only use warm water with dishwashing soap for normal cleaning. It gets all but the stubburn baked on stains. For tougher splatters, I've used BarKeeper's Friend with success. Have you tried Dawn Power Dissolver as well?

eta: I also soak a sponge in dawn and warm water and let it sit on a spot.

This post was edited by gooster on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 17:30

• hutchinb
    8 years ago

EdibleTO: would you mind posting a pic of your stove? Am still in the decision phase, Cornefu vs Lacanche, but would love to see a photo of yours as we do like the navy blue but seeing them in a catalog is different than seeing them in someone's kitchen!

• User
    8 years ago

I've owned my Cornue Fe for just over three years, and have been generally very pleased with the quality and functionality of the range. The gas burners are strong and easy to control. The center burner is great for rapidly boiling larger pots of water. I cook and entertain a lot, so I use a heavy 13 1/4 qt pot from Le Creuset over the center burner a good deal - perfect for searing and long, slow simmering. The smallest burner is great for simmering sauces, but as others have noted, it can still be a little too warm. I use a heat diffuser and problem solved! You can purchase one at Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table, etc. They did not offer the French Plaque when I purchased mine, but I use a dual- sided cast iron grill/griddle made by Lodge with great success (it fits perfectly over the two left side burners). it came pre-seasoned, so I just wipe it with a light coat of oil after washing up. The top is easy to clean. The ovens are great! The doors are heavy and I love the sidexside layout. Heavy jelly roll pans slide perfectly into the oven rack grooves. I purchased a number of them at Homegoods for around $8. Purcell Murray has some very informative cooking videos that helped me understand the various functions. I cooked a 20 lb turkey to perfection last Thanksgiving. I've found that reducing the oven temp by at least 25 degrees from the recommended setting has greatly improved my results (irregardless of using convection or regular oven). I've gad some quality issues, but they were quickly addressed. All of the firing pins for the gas burners were faulty and had to be replaced at installation. Several months ago, a couple of them failed again. The repairman eventually determined that a wire in the back of the range was installed incorrectly during manufacturing, causing it to rub against metal, fraying and eventually arching. While I was disappointed that this wasn't caught by quality control at the factory, I have nothing but praise for the very fast, responsive and professional customer service provided by Purcell Murray. Overall, a very solid, functional work of art!

• Gooster
    8 years ago

@southernpointofview Nice to see another CornuFe owner here! I see these around, but I don't see people discussing them much. I keep eyeing the plaque/french top accessory, but at over $1K I'm not certain I can justify it. BTW, I find the All Clad double burner griddle works really well. It's the one they reference in the manual. The aluminum core does a good job in spreading the heat (relative to cast iron) for things like quesadillas and pancakes. It is a perfect fit over the two burners. Demeyere also makes a plancha/teppanyaki griddle in the correct size that looks fantastic -- but isn't marketed in the US, sadly. It has a seven layer base with a 2 mm copper core.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks for the tip re: the All Clad griddle. I'll check it out the next time I'm in Sur La Table. I have to say that cooking on the Cornue Fe is a real pleasure, and it always draws positive comments from guests.

• mongey
    8 years ago

southernpointofview: Since your May report of igniter pins failing, have you had any more problems with them, or did the reinstallation of the wire in back fix the problem? i am seriously considering the Cornufe 110 for a home we own way out in a very rural area, and so reliability is a very important consideration for us. anything you can report on the reliability and overal quality of the range would be greatly appreciated!

• janfrs
    8 years ago

I, too, am looking for a replacement for my dying Chambers B. La Cornue seems to have the fewest negatives of the 36" gas ranges. Any comments on reliability and use would be very welcome.

• User
    8 years ago

Mongey: the repairman replaced the ignition switches and the wiring. No problems at all since the repair. While I do think this should have been caught at the factory, I am very pleased with the customer service. I truly love cooking on my CornueFe!

• Gooster
    8 years ago

Just to add, I'm now at about 27 months of usage and I've had no significant issues. I hope that continues, as the warranty last 36 months. However, it may be worth noting that the parent company, AGA Rangemaster, was acquired by Middleby (who also bought Viking a few years back). I hope things are maintained moving forward.

• hutchinb
    8 years ago

southernpointofview: are your counters marble and how do you like them? I love they way they look next to the stove.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hutchinb: Thanks for the kind comment! The countertops next to the range are actually soapstone. Thus far, I have been very pleased with them. I can take a very hot pot off the range and place right onto the countertop without a trivet. The installer used a beeswax application at installation, and they haven't needed a reapplication since (3.5 years). Like all stones, they can chip or dent, but you can easily sand out most blemishes. I haven't had to do that yet, and I prefer a little "character". The soapstone is a charcoal grey color with white/cream veining. I used cararra marble on the island. It has a predominantly white base coloration with charcoal veining, so it's like a negative image of the soapstone.

• hutchinb
    8 years ago

southernpointofview: right after I sent that comment I said, "duh, I bet that's soapstone!" They are gorgeous - thank you for the extra pics. I am going to check out some soapstone slabs tomorrow... it's nice to hear you've been happy with them. And I LOVE your marble island top. I don't know if I'm brave enough to go that route although it is my most favorite look. Thanks for the quick response and glad to hear you're happy with your stove too - ours will be installed next month - royal blue. :-)

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks, hutchinb. Please be sure to post some pics of your range after it's installed. It sounds like a beautiful color!

• olivergail
    8 years ago

Hi all. I haven't checked on this thread in some time. Someone asked for a photo of my farm kitchen (I'm "EdibleTO"; for some reason I got signed in this time under olivergail) with my dark blue Albertine installed. Here it is (the second photo below was just after installation last year, before handles and knobs were installed on the cabinetry.) The colour is gorgeous (very, very dark blue; in some lighting it looks black but without the harshness)

and I love the copper/brushed steel trim. So far I've been very pleased with it, but wish I'd known that one cannot use the regular, old-fashioned "bake" function for higher temperature (above about 325) baking or roasting. One needs convection for that. Our farm is in a rural area in Ontario, Canada, and I was able to get service when the bottom drawer was out of kilter.

• hutchinb
    8 years ago

Thanks EdibleTo. It's very handsome. I like your faucet and the beams too!

• olivergail
    8 years ago

Thanks, hutchinb. The beams are original to the 1840s farmhouse. The faucet is from Premier Copper Products (purchased from Faucet Direct) and is in an oil-rubbed bronze finish: http://www.faucetdirect.com/premier-copper-products-k-spd02orb-tru-faucets-pre-rinse-high-arc-kitchen-faucet/p2363559?

We also purchased a Premier Copper farmhouse double sink, which we love. It has wonderful dimensions and looks great: http://www.faucetdirect.com/premier-copper-products-ka60db33229-33-copper-hammered-kitchen-apron-60-40-double-basin-sink/p981876

• Gooster
    8 years ago

EdibleTO/olivergail -- your kitchen is gorgeous. I love the rustic touches with the beautiful deep blue range!

I was unaware there was any restriction in conventional baking mode. I do know they say you must use the lowest rack (or switch to bottom-only during the last phase of cooking). My favorite mode for roasting is the assisted bake. Link: Oven Tips from La Cornue

• olivergail
    8 years ago

Re the conventional baking mode (bottom element only, no convection), the user guide calls this the "Warming" mode:

"This function uses the base element only. It will crisp up your pizza or quiche base or finish off cooking the base of a pastry case on a lower rack. It is also a gentle heat, good for slow cooking of casseroles in the middle of the oven or for plate warming."

As I mentioned above, I had no idea before ordering the oven that one cannot bake or roast at realistic temperatures using just the bottom element. Since I don't always want to use a convection setting, this is a drawback, in my opinion. (I'm a professional recipe developer and tester and it makes for difficulties in the timing of standard recipes for the home cook.)

• Gooster
    8 years ago

@olivergail -- thanks for the explanation. That makes sense, the "conventional bake" mode is indeed not the same as the bake mode found in mainstream ovens. The additional heating elements are a bit different. I did not realize that the bottom only warming/crisping mode had an upper limit on heating -- I've been using only the top/bottom mode for baking.

• murchkid
    8 years ago

I've fallen for CornuFe, but could use some help choosing between the 90 and 110. I have the space to accommodate either. I understand you can roast a turkey in either, but it would be especially helpful if anyone could share the size cookie sheet that fits into each model. Thanks!

• Taryn
    7 years ago

I went to the show room and a 1/2 sheet does fit in the 110. I didn't believe it until they showed me. It fits on the left side, but you have to take the rack out and actually slip it in like the sheet is in fact the rack. It fits snuggly on the right side on top of the rack. The right side is strictly convection and the left side oven can broil, bake on top, bottom, both or convection.

• Taryn
    7 years ago

I am deciding between the royal blue and the navy blue. Any opinions on them? The navy almost looks black online. The store only had black and the new color tapestry on the floor. hutchinb, what color is yours? Royal or Navy? I like your color a lot.

• hutchinb
    7 years ago

@tarynkucala mine is royal blue. The navy is very very dark and looks black in certain light. I love love love the royal. Good luck!

• murchkid
    7 years ago

Old thread, I know, but I'm throwing my 2 cents in, anyway. I purchased my Albertine in early summer, so only have about 6 months of experience with it. Using the oven has been a bit of learning curve for me, since I have never used an electric oven or convection features before, so I'm still working on how to judge time/temp differential when using the convection mode.

I, too, noticed that the burners run a bit too hot, so I contacted the La Cornue service department to talk over my concerns. The Tech told me that you can get an even lower flame than the "low" setting to the right (the 5 o'clock spot on the dial), by performing a little known trick. What you do is turn on the flame to high, then while pushing the knob in, turn the dial clockwise, as if you are turning it off, but go very slowly so you don't reach the off spot. Between High and Off is your very low setting. I didn't believe it, but the tech walked me through it and it worked! No more scorched pots!

As for the cleaning, stove top is a breeze. Haven't had need to clean the oven interior, yet.

Loving my Provence Blue Albertine!

• Blackizs
    5 years ago
    Hi everyone :) I’m looking for tips on how to clean my scorched range top (I’ll include pictures). I have two burners that I think are running too high and are scorching my pans and range top. I’ve stopped using them and will need to have it serviced. In the interim, how do I get this off without scratching it? I’ve used the scotch-brite non-scratch pads with soapy water, which isn’t working but I’m afraid to try anything else. Any and all info is greatly appreciated!
  • Tina
    5 years ago
    Thank you for posting about your “scorched “ burners! I too have the same issue I read the manual and it said to use this Bon ami. But it is not getting all the marks out. My stove is brand new only two months old. I didn’t think about the burners being too high and it scorching, once again thanks so much. I’m calling because the stove cost too much money to be like this in just two months time.
  • Bella Vita
    5 years ago

Tina & Blackizs, did you receive an answer or figure out a way to get the back marks off the burner rings? We've had our Cornufe range for about 2.5-3 months and have the same thing. Thx

• jssunsmore
    3 years ago

I have had my La CornuFé 44 for 6 years now and have had no issues until this past weekend. I can’t seem to clean off the browned marks, in the past Bon Ami would take care of this issue but for some reason it has not this time. I see from the thread that this is common and like thebrest i would like to know if anyone has found the solution.

• Elizabeth Franz
    3 years ago

Any updates?

• Kelli Leonard
    3 years ago

@blackizs do you have two stoves together? I’m considering that and wondering how you like them. Thanks!

• PRO
    Kelly Penland
    3 years ago

Does anyone know if the oven on the CornuFe is steam-proof? (For baking baguettes.) Thank you!!

• lmsears
    2 years ago

Hi all! Reviving this old thread as I will soon be pulling the trigger on the cornufe. Considering matte black (and after reading this thread) dark navy. @User what color is your range? @EdibleTO or @olivergail is your dark navy a matte finish or glossy? My DH thinks the matte black will be harder to keep clean. Anyone?

I initially requested color samples from (via my local dealer) in white, ivory, gloss and matte black. For whatever reason I have only been able to get white and ivory samples. Also they no longer send them on metal swatches, but instead they come on paper.

Our range will be in an cabinetry alcove area. Ordering cabinets today and have to decide between a light cream or more of a putty/chalky color.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

• jessicasrothenberg
    last year

Has anyone experienced a loud oven fan noise on their CornuFe Albertine dual oven? We recently moved into a home with this oven (probably purchased around 2015/16) and the oven sounds like an airplane taking off. It doesn’t stop even when the oven is preheated. I cant imagine having that noise running for hours while working in the kitchen. Thanks!

• PRO
    Kelly Penland
    last year

Definitely something wrong! I've not experienced anything like that.

• jessicasrothenberg
    last year

Thank you! I appreciate the response. I have reached out to La Cornue, so hopefully will receive a response.

• Sophie Stead
    last year

Adding to this decade long post…Seems La Cornue continues to grow in popularity!
    We’re considering a Le Château range (120 or 150) for our kitchen reno but my DH is worried about the oven sizes. They are smaller in width than a regular size oven. Is this truly an issue or not at all? Also the no self clean…problem or no? Any feedback would be great! Thank you!

• lmsears
    last year

I’ve been using my 110 for 5 months now and I have not found the smaller size to be any issue at all. Most of my standard cookie sheets still fit in this oven and your ovens should be larger yet. I love the way both ovens cook. I have no complaints at all. Was also concerned about lack of self cleaning and time will tell with that. But my oven came with built in cookie sheet trays (one in each side). We leave these on the middle racks. Anyways just this past week I made a shepherd’s pie, which bubbled over (juices and grease), but because we used the cookie tray sheet, clean up was a breeze! They also have small removable trays at the bottom, which can be pulled out and wiped down. We love ours cornufe 110. Cooked a 12 lb bird for Thanksgiving. No problems.
    Two things though: I will tell you that the specs call for heavy duty venting. And lastly that a fan always runs when using the ovens. I have yet to explore if the left oven can be run without the convection feature but the right side cannot be.
    Hope that helps!

• Sophie Stead
    last year

Thank you for that! Very useful indeed!
    Another question…and this might be a long shot. Anyone has a La Cornue with an induction top? We’re out in the country with electricity only. We were going to get propane fed to the kitchen, but since La Cornue offers induction tops we were wondering how performant these were? It’s a big investment if we were to pull the trigger and so we want to make sure the brand performs as well with induction as it does with their traditional gas tops. There’s so little info online. So I thought I should ask here.

• hutchinb
    last year

We've had ours for 7 years now (pic way up above) and I do love it. HOWEVER... one side of our oven broke in September (the convection element needs to be replaced), and the part to replace it still has not come in - 4 months later we are still waiting. The warranty is 5 years, so we are out of luck with La Cornue working with us and have to rely on our local retail establishment for service work. The oven sizes are fine, unless you plan on doing a giant turkey. We've done an 18 lb turkey no problem, and I love doing roasters in it. Cleaning - the ovens have sides - top and bottom as well - that remove for cleaning so it's not a complete nightmare. But if you are used to self-cleaning ovens you may not like it. All that being said, we are overall happy with it. But if we ever need another oven, I doubt I would go with the same brand only because service has been very difficult. Good luck!

• Sophie Stead
    last year

Thank you for that, Hutchinb! Good luck with your repairs! Your range looks awesome, btw (I scrolled up the feed to have a look). Love the blue!

• HU-892433804
    last year

Note to Sophie Stead! Hi there. We've been working with one of the La Cornue (Middleby) sales reps on the East Coast concerning pricing of the La Cornue Chateau 150s. We like the LaFayette Blue (unfortunately a premium color choice) with the (2) 7.5k gas burners, (2) 17.5k gas burners, (1) 22k power burner and French plaque. The trim was choose for pricing purposes was the Brush Stainless Trim - Polished Copper Accents - Brushed Stainless Handrail. Range would cost $73,200. Crating/Freight/Customs Charges from France with In-Home Delivery costs $5,500. My state tax (South Carolina) would be $5,705. So the total would be $84,404.

50% down payment at time of order $42,202.

The other $42,202 would need to be paid prior to shipment to residence.

Funny that LaCornue.com claims that the La Cornue Chateau 150cm is the most popular size. Maybe in Dubai! :-)

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    last year

@Sophie Stead, the La Cornue Chateau that you are considering is a completely different animal from the CornuFe ranges mostly discussed in this thread, in terms of manufacturing, performance, quality, price, oven sizes, burners, etc.

I can only speak about my experience with Lacanche, and I suspect that the induction modules used by La Cornue are the same or at least as good as what we use. If so, we haven't had any trouble with these since we introduced them in Canada about 6 years ago, and only a handful of easily resolved service issues.

Induction should give you a very similar performance to the gas burners in terms of raw power, and with more control on the low end (simmer).

As for the oven sizes, the vaulted ceilings do take away some usable space.

• Ann Becchina
    last year

I am struggling to decide between an AGA Elise 48 induction and a CornuFe 110 (Induction) and wondered if you are all still happy with your range (or, for those who were deciding, what you purchased if not a LaCornu)? Like @Sophie Stead, we will be out in the country so that reliability and availability of service is important (there is a good appliance dealer/authorized service store who we will purchase from but it is over an hour away).

@hutchinb, @EdibleTO, @Gooster, @User, @TwoBelles, @CocoDash, @lmsears, @jessicasrothenberg

• Gooster
    last year

I've had my CornuFe 90 for 10 years now. There was a small problem with an igniter (gas version) in the 1st full year but it was fixed right away (at no cost, the technician came from about 45 minutes away). There has not been a problem since.

• Taryn
    last year

I have the Cornufe - I had to have it serviced once and it was outside the warranty but Abt came and fixed from 1 1/2 hrs away. They installed it, so they guarantee service too. They didn’t have the part but only charged one service fee for both visits. When we move, I’ll be putting another cornufe into my kitchen immediately! Love love love it!

• lmsears
    last year

I have the 110. I still love it. But… we have propane service which does burn hotter than natural gas (so I’ve been told) and I do have to often turn those burners to the secret spot so as not to burn or overcook things. I also have and use a diffuser with my stove.
    The ovens work great and really do fit pans up to 9x13, including cookie sheets.
    I have not had to have service in it. But we also bought from a local company so they would service it if needed. (While they sell LaCornue, they also said they would not service it if they didn’t sell it.) just an fyi that some other companies may do similarly.
    I hope that helps.

• TwoBelles
    last year

Hi Ann, I actually did not have a cornueFe. I had a Lacanche. I adored it. We sold that home and downsized and in my new home I did an indcution cooktop. I highly recommend it. However, in my planned reno of the kitchen, I would like to do a CornueFe Induction range. HTH!

• Tania Erika
    6 months ago

Can the hardware be updated or change? Say you have a blue range with stainless steel hardware. Is there a way to change the color and the hardware?