Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdyshopper

Maytag Upper Rack Problems

nerdyshopper
9 years ago

I am considering the top of the line Maytag dishwasher. When I checked at Home Depot.com and Amazon.com there are numerous complaints about the wheel assembly breaking. I see a lot of "cheap plastic" remarks. I am wondering if anyone here knows about this problem and how easy a diy fix might be.

Comments (8)

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

They are crap rollers. No diyfix unless you can machine new assembly for rollers to attach with metal spindle. Kitchen aid have the satin glide rack system that used to be on the top of the line maytags.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Yeah, get a higher-end KitchenAid instead - same basic machine (both are made by Whirlpool) but both main racks glide out smoothly on extending drawer slides.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Maytags have food grinders and kitchenaid has a filter.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

They are completely different designs. Maytag also has a more powerful motor. It is more similar to the last generation of KA/Whirlpool dishwashers than the current. I believe Whirlpool has recently come out with a fix for the issue with a different upper rack. Some people are unhappy about this as the upper rack they received with the model they bought is different from the one they saw online and in the showroom.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Interested in seeing a fix. I would have happier customers. Issue is how the have the reck suspended to create a high and low side. It loses rigidity and compromises the structural integrity giving the roles and track too much slop. I like to see loose tolerances where necessary but not in this case. It makes the wheels feel like they are binding when you slide the racks. I'm sure they will change in time the are a nice strong dishwasher that is quiet with a grinder.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks as though Whirlpool has changed the upper rack tracking setup to use a metal frame and wheels on it's top of the line Maytag. I still wonder how well it will hold up since Whirlpool doesn't seem to care. I also read of many control panel problems with these. There seems to be no solution to those unless a decent dishwasher with the old mechanical timer were available. Funny, but I don't recall that many complaints about the Kitchenaid control panels. Maybe they are sealed better as moisture may be the culprit. I could not find many discussions of these matters by googling, just complaints but no technical discussions.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Control panel issues were on the last generation, not the current models. There was a service bulletin. If you are so worried then get a Bosch. Analysis paralysis will do you no good. There comes a point where you have to ignore the bad reviews on stuff or you will never actually end up getting a dishwasher.

• Kathleen McGill
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We bought a Maytag model #MDb6949SC Feb 22, 2015 at Home Depot. These plastic parts on the upper rack wheel assembly unit keep breaking. The first two times, they were replaced under the 1 year warranty. I'm now working with my technician and the company with the Jan 2016 break. Maytag did extend my warranty for a year. I call "design flaw" in the use of plastic. KM