Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabethan_gw

Do you use your warming drawer?

gabethan
10 years ago

Hi All,

Looking to see if this is a purchase I should actually consider?

Comments (9)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I use mine once a month.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

It depends on your lifestyle. My girlfriend cooks dinner for hubby, puts his plate in the warmer, then goes to work, so her man always has a nice warm meal. Me? I'd never use one.

• gbsim1
    10 years ago

I've had mine for almost a year now and am SO glad I got one!

We have friends over often and it's terrific for putting pot luck dishes in to keep warm until serving. Also of course it lets me do many dishes slightly in advance and have the food in serving bowls ready to go to the table.

I don't do a lot of "one dish" cooking, so most of our daily meals have several veggies, main dish, bread etc. I find it very helpful.

If you're primarily cooking for two and mostly cook one or two dishes/per meal then it might not be worth the cost or loss of storage. For regular entertainers, bigger families etc, it's terrific!

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I've got a new IKEA wall oven (Whirlpool brand) about to be installed that has the option to be a warming oven (if you're not needing to cook something else at the same time at full temp).
    I'm looking forward to having the convenience. I don't want to go to all this trouble for a new kitchen and not be able to handle one of the most difficult problems I find with cooking/entertaining - getting things to the table at the right temp/time. Of course I would have preferred having a totally separate warming drawer but that was too expensive for our budget. This was a good compromise.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Yes, since I have only a single oven range it becomes invaluable when cooking multi-course meals, brunch or when entertaining. The other common usage is keeping takeout pizza warm!

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

I got one when I realized that it could solve the problem of my husband's erratic work schedule. About twice a week he gets home pretty late (9 p.m.), but I cooked the dinner thinking he'd be getting home at 7. The warming drawer keeps some food really well until he gets home. Other food, like roasted vegetables, are better if I put them back in a hot oven for five minutes to warm up. I also use it for keeping rolls/pizza/garlic bread warm, for quiches when we have friends over for brunch, for heating soup bowls before ladling out the soup...

Having said all that, I still don't use it more than a couple times a week, and if the budget hadn't allowed for one, I probably wouldn't be missing it. Nice to have, not need to have :-)

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, yes. Electrolux. Works like a charm, and will slow cook, too. My old KitchenAid was a piece of junk. So glad I tried again.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Mostly on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but very helpful for those days.

Hmm, will need to think about that with keeping the pizza warm. Thanks for the tip.

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

I use my KitchenAid at least once a week. Sometimes daily. Love that we have it! It's been nearly 2 years and have never had any issues with it. It slow cooks too, which we use it for often.