Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range just went kaput. Need a new one ASAP!

Posted by TheRedHouse (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 21:02

My 13 year old electric range has been acting weird and one of the oven heating coils just blew about an hour ago. The range has been limping along for a while now and I was hoping it would make it to January so I'd have time to research my new range options instead of buying under pressure. My range had other plans. So now I'm down a range a week before Christmas and not a single holiday cookie has been baked. Rats.

I'll need a 30" slide-in range, in white to match the other (newish) appliances. I'm calling the plumber tomorrow to see what it would cost to run the gas line to the kitchen. I'd love to replace the electric with gas, but am considering both gas and electric ranges. This isn't the house for top of the line appliances and my budget is approx. $2K (or less). If anyone can help me out with brand suggestions for me, I'd sure love to hear them! Many, many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range just went kaput. Need a new one ASAP!

How about induction - you could save the gas run and add to your budget.
Quite a few in that range now.

o

>Quite a few in that range now.

White slide-in induction ranges?

TheRedHouse, I would go to ajmadison.com to do your basic research. They have a very good search engine. Once you know what you want, then start checking prices different places. Your local stores may be willing to meet online prices or at least come close.

o

Thanks! I did go to AJ Madison and the three ranges I came up with are a basic Whirlpool that doesn't have a convection oven, a Frigidaire that does and an Electolux that also has a convection oven and is about $600 more than the Frigidaire. The Frigidaire and the Electrolux seem to have comparable features.

I'd like a convection oven, but I may have to go with whatever local places have in stock and can deliver and install before Christmas. I'll be calling around after the plumber comes this morning to give me an estimate for the gas line. Is there a justification for the price difference of Electrolux? Are they better than other low/moderately priced brands?

o

What ever you do don't call the gas company for the gas line.
I got a price from them for like $1200 to just freaking run about 35' of line and THEY are the beneficiaries of the line as I pay them for every BTU used?

So I contacted a guy that a friend used, he charged $300 TOTAL that was both running the line AND installing the stove.
There is nothing to running the line, super simple and the material cost is probably just a couple dollars a foot so to charge $1200 they were insane.

The best gas stove for under $2000 is without question an NXR.

o

There are no induction slide-in ranges for less than $2k. AFAIK, the only induction slide-ins are by GE (about $2800 currently), Kemore (made by Electrolux and currently about $3k) and the Electrolux (currently about $3200). Obviously these are outside your budget.

AFAIK, there are only two induction stoves that you can get in color and both are also outside your budget. One is the white Frigidiare slide-in hybrid range (2 induction burners with 3 standard radiant smoothtop burners) which costs about $2500. The other is the Viking induction range which can be had in white for around $7300, roughly three and a half times your budget.

I also had a $2k budget limit when I unxpectedly had to go stove shopping just before Labor Day (an expedition that likewise ensued from the death of my previous stove). I had been planning on induction and learned a bit about what was and is available. In the sub-$2k price range, there are only freestanding induction ranges. All of them are all essentially black stoves with brushed metal fasica. This might or might not be objectionable when slid into the middle of a run of countertops which will hide the black sides. There are seven sub$2k induction ranges that I know of: two Samsung freestanding induction ranges (NE597NOPBSR and NE595NOPBSR); one GE (PHB915), one Frigidaire (an electrolux subsidiary), and three made under the aegis of Whirlpool (Kitchenaid, Maytag and Whirlpool brands). The GE and Samsung induction ranges have received pretty good reviews here. The Samsung and GE have large convection ovens and warming drawers, and have both standard self-clean and a quick-steam oven cleaning. The Whirlpool made ranges have large ovens but only allow a steam option for self cleaning, and the reports are that it does not do a very good job. The Whirlpool and Maytag stoves also have small burners up front and the large burners in back, an arrangement that appeals to some and not to others. Samsung had an earlier induction stove, which had a model number FTQ307. Those models had a burner layout that you either liked or did not. If one of those is still available (unlikely), it should be clearance priced and could be a very good buy if the burner layout does not put you off. I don't know anything about the Frigidaire induction range except that it seems have similarities to the model formerly sold as a free-standing insduction range under the Electrolux brand.

If you were not in immediate need of having your stove be white before Christmas, I suppose you could take the oven door and warming drawer from an induction stove to an appliance painter (often an auto-body shops) and get them powder-coated/painted white at some time after you are done with the holidays.

Similarly, the NXR (which is what I wound up getting) cannot be had in anything but stainless cladding. As you are sliding it into a run of counters, you would not need to worry about the sides. You could easily remove the oven door and kick panel for powder coating/painting in white. (That is basically the look you get with Vikings, too, although again, Vikings cost is way beyond the budget here.)

Do note that, if you are considering an island install, the NXR backguard/oven vent is not supposed to be removed.

The NXR is available from Costco which gives you the absolute, ironclad, no-questions asked satisfaction guarantee. When I ordered mine shortly before Labor Day, it showed up for delivery six days after I placed the order. If you are on the west coast, it might arrive sooner.

The NXR has a convection oven but be aware that it does not have a self-cleaning function. Nunya thinks oven-self-cleaning is a spawn of Satan. but other folks have said here that the lack of a self-cleaning oven is a showstopper for them. If you check out the NXR threads here, you will find postings on cleaning the oven (including some recent postings from me about "myself-cleaning" the oven after Thanksgiving.)

If you get the NXR, you definitely want a range-hood of some kind. Nunya and several others have found an OTR microwaves to be functional, but, even though I live in a cold climate, I'm glad I've got a 36"-wide 650CFM hood.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 15:00

o

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I chose a duel fuel after realizing that smooth cooktops, my cooking habits, and my general klutziness probably wouldn't get along. I recall that I had a smooth top electric range in a rental and lived in fear of scratching it, so inevitably, I scratched it. I also now cook with cast iron that isn't enameled and I like to shake and slid my pans all over the place. All of those factors helped me rule out electric and induction.

An alert appliance salesman informed me that an all gas range would require both a new gas line and a 120 volt electrical outlet behind the stove. I don't have a 120 volt outlet there, which would mean the hassle of calling in an electrician. I'm glad he mentioned it because I never would have realized that until delivery. A duel fuel will use the 220 volt outlet I already have and allow me to keep baking with electric.

I got a fair price for the installation of the gas line, including the permit and inspections, and a great price on the range. For now, I'm happy. Here's hoping I like the new range once it's installed.

o

If it were my range, only 13 years old, I would have repaired it. Maybe it has other issues, but if it is just an element, and the oven heating element is exposed (not behind the metal bottom), it is a quick repair I would do myself, with maybe $50 cost for the part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here